Benefits of healthy snacking
- High carbohydrate, low-fat snacks between meals maintain blood sugar levels and help boost energy throughout the day.
- Snacks curb your appetite to prevent overeating during mealtimes.
- Healthy snacks prevent sweet cravings between meals.
Grab and Go Snacks
- Dry Cereal — mix with dried fruit or raisins for extra sweetness
- Bagels — add fruit spreads to whole grain bagels for extra carbohydrates
- Fresh fruits — apples, orange, bananas, grapes, strawberries, melons, peaches, nectarines or cherries
- Crackers — whole wheat, sesame, bran, and other low-fat or fat-free brands
- Yogurt — low-fat or fat-free yogurt is best, add dry cereals for crunch or fresh fruit for sweetness
- Low-fat cereal or granola bars — these pre-wrapped bars can be packed easily in your bag
- Air popped popcorn — add garlic powder, chili powder, or onion powder for a variety of flavors
- Baked tortillas or pretzels — shake off salt or try salt free pretzels to lower the sodium
- Rice cakes — they come in a variety of flavors such as apple cinnamon, white cheddar or caramel
- Low fat muffins — try bran, corn or oat bran
- Sweet potatoes — tastes great hot or cold, microwave it for a quick snack, add a little brown sugar for a sweet taste
Be prepared when traveling or at the gym. Pack your bag with high carbohydrate, low fat snacks for a source of energy in between meals.