Cleveland Clinic Mercy Hospital’s Work Health & Safety Services (WHSS) is Stark County’s original occupational medicine clinic, which means we offer you the most experienced staff in the area. With centers in North Canton, Massillon, Carrollton and New Philadelphia, Ohio, we currently serve more than 1,100 clients.
Our goal is to provide you with a comprehensive approach to reducing health and safety costs. We help injured employees return to work as soon as possible while minimizing lost-time workdays and preventing long-term disability, which are costly for employer and employee alike.
With today’s emphasis on reducing workers' compensation costs and complying with disability legislation, you need an effective program that stresses prevention and keeps workers healthy. Mercy Hospital is committed to helping you reach those objectives.
Our staff and services focus only on occupational medicine, which translates to highly focused and dedicated healthcare services for your employees.
Why Choosing Mercy Hospital Is Easy
Acting as your partner, we help you provide a safe workplace by educating your employees and offering preventive healthcare services. When an injury does happen, we offer both immediate and continuing care for the employee through treatment, physical & occupational therapy, and rehabilitation services.
When you choose our occupational medicine program, you’ll get:
- 24-hour injury treatment and drug and alcohol testing
- Assistance with identifying claims that are not legitimate
- Ability to work with all MCO plans and can treat any injured employee
- Health and safety education to help lower overall healthcare costs
Among our patients, 95 percent are in and out in less than an hour, and 96 percent return to work the same day. We are a certified BWC (Bureau of Worker’s Compensation) provider, accredited by DATIA (Drug & Alcohol Testing Industry Association) and a provider for DOT (Department of Transportation) physicals and drug and alcohol testing.
With 24-hour services and case managers who coordinate all aspects of patient care, Work Health & Safety Services provides you with a variety of services designed to meet your company’s specific health needs, no matter the size of your business. Customize a program to fit your workplace needs.
Medical and Physical Exams
- Immediate treatment of work-related injuries & illness
- Physical exams (DOT and non-DOT)
- Independent medical exams
- Pulmonary / respiratory exams
- Diagnostic testing
- Fit for Duty Evaluation
- Physical Capacities Evaluation (PCE)
Drug and Alcohol Testing
- Drug screens (DOT and non-DOT)
- Breath alcohol testing (DOT and non-DOT)
- Random drug and alcohol program management
- Hair follicle drug testing
- Certified Medical Review Officer (MRO)
Other Occupational Testing and Services
- Audiometric testing
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Laboratory services
- Pulmonary function testing (PFT)
- Respirator clearance & fit testing
- Tuberculosis (TB) testing
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Pain Management
Fee for Service
Work Health & Safety Services offers a number of occupational health services that can be performed at your place of business, such as OSHA-mandated training programs, health screenings, medical surveillance and drug-free workplace training and screening. We are committed to tailoring our program to meet the needs of your business. Reasonable cost, limited time away from work, and quality service by our experienced occupational health professionals are hallmarks of our service.
Available programs include:
- Health and Wellness – Health fairs, blood pressure education and screening, cancer awareness, CPR training (American Heart Association), first aid training (National Safety Council), diabetes education and screening, drug and alcohol (employee and supervisor training), headache management, health risk appraisals (includes cholesterol screening), smoking cessation, nutrition education, stress management
- Workplace Training – Accident investigation, drugfree workplace training, bloodborne pathogen, hearing conservation, respiratory fit & training, workplace violence
- Other On-site Services – Audiometric testing, immunizations, TB testing, company and DOT physicals, drug and alcohol testing, respirator clearance exams and fit testing
Work Health & Safety Services also provides:
- 24-hour injury treatment and drug and alcohol testing
- Assistant with identifying claims that are not legitimate
- Ability to work with MCO plans and can treat any injured employee
- Health and safety education to help lower overall costs
- Workers comp follow up
- Pre-employment physicals
- DOT physicals
- Fit to work evaluations
- Past accident testing
Onsite Occupational Nursing
- A review by the Medical Director to identify safety risks
Education and Training
- Health & wellness programs
- Drug and alcohol awareness training
- Safety compliance programs
- OSHA Compliance Programs
Because our physicians are trained in occupational medicine and experienced in workers’ compensation issues, we treat injuries quickly, minimize lost time, and return employees to work as soon as possible. Expert injury treatment is available on a walk-in, no-appointment-necessary basis. For treatment after hours, urgent care is located at our same location, while life-threatening and overnight injuries are treated at Mercy Hospital’s Emergency Department.
Services we provide include:
- Work Simulation: Our staff will work with the patient by imitating some of his or her day-to-day activities in order for the injured worker to return safely to the workplace.
- Physical Reconditioning: In most cases, the injured worker needs to work on regaining his or her physical strength and endurance. Progressive exercise programs are individually designed using state-of-the-art exercise and strength equipment.
- Physical Capacity Evaluation: Our staff will evaluate the patient’s physical capacities and limitations as it applies to specific job requirements. This helps us determine when it is safe for an employee to return to work or we may make recommendations for job placement of the patient.
- Work-Site Evaluations: This is an on-site assessment of the job demands and physical requirements employees face. The assessment helps us recommend modifications of the workplace to the employer in order to reduce potential injury to the employee.
We help employers meet all regulatory and employment guidelines and quickly communicate results for post-job-offer exams, return-to-work exams, Department of Transportation exams, hearing-loss-rating exams and respirator physicals. We also can work with your company to create a customized physical examination that meets your specific needs.
We collect and process samples according to strict federal standards, with positive results reported within 24 hours. Our certified medical review officer is always available at no extra charge when using our lab. When drug testing for post-job offers, random, “for-cause”, DOT, and non-DOT drug screens, you can eliminate delays in making important decisions by working with Work Health & Safety Services. We also offer a consortium program for random drug testing.
Another useful tool for lowering health care costs is to prevent illness before it happens. We can tailor an immunization program to meet your needs for world travel, annual flu vaccinations, tetanus, hepatitis-A, hepatitis B, and a variety of other specialized vaccines. These are offered at your worksite or at our location.
Through Mercy Hospital’s Therapy Services, we offer complete physical and occupational rehabilitation at our North Canton location to help speed your employees’ return to normal function.
We can help your employees recognize and overcome poor health habits and identify risk factors that can lead to increased health care claims and absenteeism. We offer CPR and industrial first-aid training, on-site immunizations, flu shots, bloodborne pathogen education and more.
Work Health & Safety Service
Work Health & Safety Services has offices at the following locations:
North Canton Urgent and Outpatient Care
6200 Whipple Drive, NW
North Canton, OH 44720
Hours: Monday–Friday, 7:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Carrollton Urgent and Outpatient Care
125 Canton Rd.
Carrollton, OH 44615
Hours: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–8 p.m.; Saturday–Sunday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
After hours drug and alcohol testing and injury care for clients
Work-related accidents happen 24 hours a day, and an injured employee needs immediate attention. When Mercy Hospital facilities offering occupational medicine are closed, clients should send employees to the following urgent care locations:
- North Canton Urgent and Outpatient Care
- Carrollton Urgent and Outpatient Care
If necessary after urgent care is closed, employees should be sent to our Emergency Department.
For after-hours, post-accident drug and alcohol testing for clients, call 330.489.8052.