Vascular medicine and surgery focus on the diagnosis and treatment of vascular diseases outside of the heart. We use the most advanced medical and surgical techniques to treat carotid artery disease, aortic aneurysms and peripheral artery disease (PAD).
Our vascular medicine physicians specialize in nonsurgical treatments for vascular disease. When nonsurgical treatments aren’t appropriate, our vascular surgeons perform advanced surgery to treat vascular conditions.
Cleveland Clinic Florida vascular medicine physicians and surgeons are national leaders in diagnosing and treating vascular conditions. With our comprehensive team, patients get complete care from some of the most experienced vascular specialists in the country.
Vascular Medicine and Surgery at Cleveland Clinic Florida: Why Choose Us?
Our program includes the only team in South Florida that includes vascular medicine and vascular surgery specialists. We are home to the largest dedicated Vascular Medicine Program in the Southeastern U.S.
We provide an accurate diagnosis of vascular disease so you receive the least invasive and most effective treatment possible. Our patients benefit from:
- Expert surgeons: Our vascular surgeons have completed the highest level of surgical training and have decades of experience. With their knowledge and skill, you receive the least invasive and most advanced treatments available for the full range of conditions. Meet our vascular medicine and surgery team.
- Knowledgeable specialists: Our vascular medicine team includes a select few registered physicians in vascular interpretation (RPVI) in the state. Only doctors who have the highest skill in interpreting venous tests, including carotid ultrasound, earn this certification. Their expertise means they accurately interpret complex test results so you receive proper treatment.
- Multispecialty approach: Our specialists work with other experts when needed to provide the highest quality care for each patient. With our collaborative approach, multiple specialists come together to share their expertise. Our team includes vascular surgeons, vascular medicine specialists, cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, radiologists and nephrologists.
- Expert vascular lab: At Cleveland Clinic Florida, our vascular lab technicians have decades of experience and specialized, additional training. Their knowledge means they can perform your test with the highest precision for clear results. Our physicians interpret each test and use their skill to create your customized treatment plan.
- Complete care: Our team provides comprehensive care for all types of peripheral vascular disorders, even rare and complex cases. These conditions cause narrowing, blockages or spasms in the blood vessels outside of the heart. From the newest catheter-based, endovascular procedures to traditional open surgery, our doctors have the skill and knowledge to perform the procedure that’s best for you.
- Innovative treatments: Our vascular medicine physicians are some of the few in the country who offer lymphedema prevention for breast cancer patients. We create a plan for breast cancer patients before they undergo cancer treatment. With our expertise, these patients learn how to track swelling and prevent permanent damage from lymphedema. We teach exercises to prevent swelling and offer rehabilitation designed for their unique needs. We’re also one of the few hospitals in the country performing lymph vessel transplants, which can help stop lymphedema from getting worse.
- Endovascular expertise: We specialize in endovascular procedures for many vascular conditions. For example, we treat most abdominal aortic aneurysms with minimally invasive endovascular repair. These procedures offer faster recovery and fewer complications.
- Advanced technology: Our hybrid operating room (OR) allows us to customize our procedures based on each patient’s needs. This advanced OR pairs advanced imaging technology with the latest surgical equipment. With a hybrid OR, our doctors have the freedom to use both endovascular and open techniques together.
Conditions We Treat
Our leading-edge technology allows our vascular medicine doctors to deliver the latest treatment options. We care for the full range of peripheral vascular conditions, including:
- Aortic aneurysm.
- Arterial aneurysms.
- Carotid artery disease.
- Chronic venous insufficiency (CVI).
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
- Lymphedema, including after breast cancer treatment.
- Peripheral artery disease (PAD).
- Pulmonary embolism.
- Thoracic aortic aneurysm.
- Varicose and spider veins.
- Visceral vascular disease.
Cleveland Clinic Florida’s specialists provide wound care management to patients suffering from wounds that have not healed within 30 days such as diabetic ulcers, burns, and necrotizing infections.
Indian River 772.563.4625
Martin Health 772.223.5903
Why Choose Wound Care Services at Cleveland Clinic Florida?
For most people, wound healing is a natural, uneventful process. But for others, especially those dealing with underlying health conditions such as diabetes and circulatory issues, it becomes a complex medical problem requiring specialized care.
Fortunately, Cleveland Clinic Florida physicians and staff have extensive experience treating numerous chronic, non-healing wounds such as diabetic foot ulcers, pressure ulcers, burns and other wounds. Our multidisciplinary team provides a wide range of services and has access to advanced wound healing technology, including Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBO). Comprehensive, individualized treatment plans are created for each patient that includes the entire continuum of care, from management of associated conditions to patient education, discharge planning to coordination of care with home health and/other facilities. We work together to get patients on the road to healing.
Cleveland Clinic Florida wound care services are available near you at a local hospital or outpatient facility.
Wound Care Appointments & Locations
Ambulatory Services Center/Wound Healing Center
3650 10th Court
Vero Beach, Florida 32960
David L. Smythe Wound Center at Martin Health
309 Hospital Avenue
Stuart, Florida 34994
Martin Health at Tradition HealthPark Two
10080 SW Innovation Way
Port St. Lucie, Florida 34987
Testing & Diagnosis
Noninvasive Vascular Laboratory
Our Noninvasive Vascular Laboratory team provides inpatient and outpatient vascular testing to identify various conditions that affect blood flow. Our consistently high level of accuracy has earned us the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) certification for the last 20 years. This endorsement speaks to our level of excellence in performing and interpreting tests with the highest level of precision.
Tests we provide include:
- Arterial duplex ultrasound to diagnose narrowing of blood vessels and evaluate blood flow.
- Balloon angioplasty to treat peripheral artery disease and open narrowed or blocked arteries without surgery.
- Carotid ultrasound, which measures plaque buildup in the arteries that supply blood to the head.
- Cold stimulation tests to diagnose Raynaud’s phenomenon.
- Pulse volume recording (PVR), a noninvasive test to evaluate blood flow in the arms and legs.
- Venous reflux testing to diagnose chronic venous insufficiency using ultrasound imaging.
Outpatient Blood Thinner Clinic
Our Blood Thinner Clinic provides the highest quality care for complicated venous and arterial thrombotic disorders. We help patients manage and safely use all types of blood thinners, including newer generation medications. Our consistently exceptional quality measures have earned us the Center of Excellence Recognition from the American Anticoagulation Forum.
Vascular Medicine Outpatient Clinic
Through our outpatient clinic, our specialists see patients with a wide range of arterial, venous and lymphatic disorders. Our clinic provides same-day access for urgent appointments. First, our expert team performs any necessary tests in our Noninvasive Vascular Laboratory. Based on those results, we develop the most effective treatment plan for your needs. Then, specialists in the Vascular Medicine Outpatient Clinic guide you through your customized treatment plan.
Vascular Surgery Treatments We Provide
Our vascular surgeons provide:
- Bypass surgery to treat arterial diseases like atherosclerosis and peripheral artery disease (PAD).
- Minimally invasive endovenous ablation to treat varicose saphenous veins. We perform microphlebectomy, which uses radiofrequency ablation to relieve pain and provide excellent cosmetic results.
- Visceral artery reconstruction to bypass a visceral artery aneurysm using a vein graft or a synthetic tube.