Structural and interventional cardiology is a specialized area of cardiology that diagnoses and treats heart conditions without surgery. Cleveland Clinic Florida is a leading referral center in the region for this type of cardiology. Our doctors have the skill, experience and technology to treat patients who need the highest level of care.
Our specialized cardiologists use advanced, minimally invasive approaches to care for various heart conditions, including heart disease and structural defects.
Structural and Interventional Cardiology at Cleveland Clinic Florida: Why Choose Us?
Our structural and interventional cardiologists have years of experience performing complicated interventional cardiology procedures. With our experience, we care for the most complex heart and vascular conditions. At Cleveland Clinic Florida, you receive:
- Experienced team: Our doctors completed additional years of subspecialty training in structural and interventional cardiology. They have deep knowledge of the best ways to treat coronary and peripheral artery disease. Meet our structural and interventional cardiology team.
- Complete care: Our structural and interventional cardiologists work closely with other specialists, including cardiologists, cardiac surgeons and radiologists. This collaborative approach ensures every patient receives the care they need, even for the most complex or rare conditions. Our patients have an entire team of experts on their side.
- Leading-edge treatments: Our program offers the latest, most technologically advanced catheter-based treatments for heart conditions. We treat atherosclerosis, heart valve disease and adult congenital heart disease with minimally invasive methods. We also partner with our electrophysiology experts to offer the cardiac Watchman™ device for atrial fibrillation (AFib) stroke prevention.
- Hybrid operating room: Our specialized medical technology includes an advanced hybrid operating room (OR). We’ve equipped this OR with sophisticated medical imaging that we use during surgical procedures. With this technology, our doctors view detailed images in real time and perform complex procedures with the least invasive methods possible.
- Customized treatment: We carefully evaluate each patient and craft a personalized treatment plan. Our doctors’ experience allows them to go beyond standard treatment for heart and vascular conditions. Instead, we choose from our full range of options to deliver the best care for you.
- Focus on research: We participate in research and clinical trials that give our patients access to the newest treatments. As innovators on the forefront of cardiovascular research, our team has the latest knowledge of leading-edge therapies and treatments.
Diagnostic Tools We Provide
The right diagnosis is key to creating the best treatment plan. Our team has focused expertise in performing and interpreting catheter-based tests and advanced biopsies. Our doctors perform:
- Cardiac catheterization: Use of a thin, flexible tube to examine how well your heart is working.
- Intravascular ultrasound: Use of sound waves to create images of blood vessels and look for plaque buildup.
- Myocardial biopsy: Removal of a small piece of your heart muscle to check for signs of certain heart conditions.
Structural and Interventional Treatments We Provide
We provide exceptional outcomes for primary and revision interventional treatments, including life-threatening heart conditions. We provide care for the range of conditions, from angina (chest pain) to more serious conditions such as heart attack and mini-stroke.
Our expert team of interventionists offers the latest catheter-based procedures for complex heart disease and stroke prevention, including:
We provide targeted procedures that can lower the risk of stroke in people with certain heart conditions. These treatments include:
- Left atrial appendage closure with the WATCHMAN™ device to prevent stroke due to AFib.
- Patent foramen ovale (PFO) closure.
- Closure of pulmonary arteriovenous malformations (AVMs).
Congenital heart disease
With today’s technology and our cardiologists’ expertise, we can treat many congenital heart conditions without open surgery. Our treatments include:
- Atrial septal defect (ASD) closure.
- Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) closure.
- Ventricular septal defect (VSD) closure.
Other interventions we provide
We also treat conditions that are rare or highly complex. Some of these interventions include:
- Alcohol septal ablation for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy (HOCM).
- Closure of coronary fistulas.
- Closure of aortic pseudoaneurysms.
- Pulmonary vein stenting.