Cleveland Clinic Adult Driver Evaluation and Rehabilitation
Adults who have experienced any physical, neurological, visual or cognitive change in function that has an impact on driving performance may benefit from a driving assessment. Our goal is to help individuals return to independent driving, as long as they are safe to do so.
If you have a family member or friend who answers yes to these questions, they should consider discussing a driver rehabilitation program with their physician:
- Are there conditions in which you have difficulty driving, or do not drive at all?
- Do other drivers honk at you, or do other drivers easily frustrate you?
- Do you have pain, decreased range of motion, decreased strength or other issues that make driving difficult?
- Have you recently gotten lost or confused while driving?
Cleveland Clinic's Driver Evaluation and Rehabilitation Program provides a clinical and on-the-road assessment of driving skills, with recommendations to the client, family and physician.Clinical assessment testing, developed with resources from the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration, Maryland Older Driver Project and American Medical Association’s Assessment and Counseling of Older Drivers, includes:
- Vision function.
- Visual perception.
- Cognitive function.
- Strength and range of motion.
- Reaction time.
Individuals entering this program potentially undergo a two-step process that consisting of:
- Clinical evaluation: A review of the patient's medical chart and the physician's recommendations, assessment of vision, visual perceptual skills, cognition, range of motion, strength and reaction time. Recommendations to the client, their family and the referring physician are made at the end of the evaluation process.
- On-the-road assessment: An assessment conducted in a Cleveland Clinic vehicle adapted for driving evaluations.
The initial clinical evaluation and treatment requires a physician order for an Occupational Therapy Driving Evaluation and is billed to insurance as an occupational therapy evaluation and treatment. Once it is determine that it is safe to do an on-the-road assessment and/or treatment, the program becomes self-pay at a rate of $100 per hour. We accept cash or credit for the driver assessments.
We are here to help older drivers, their families and their physician through a difficult, but important, change in lifestyle. To make an appointment, please call 216.444.6262
Cleveland Clinic's Main Campus – Mellen Center
1950 E. 89th St., Desk U-10
Cleveland, OH 44195
18901 Lakeshore Blvd.
Euclid, OH 44119
Fairview Hospital Wellness Center
3035 Wooster Rd.
Rocky River, OH 44116
Akron General Rehabilitation and Sports Therapy, Lakemore
1500 Canton Rd.
Akron, Ohio 44312