Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Residency Program
At Cleveland Clinic’s Rehabilitation and Sports Therapy Department, we offer an orthopaedic physical therapy residency focused on all aspects of orthopaedic physical therapy practice that strives to help create the next generation of orthopaedic experts.
The residency program offered through our Rehabilitation and Sports Therapy Department consists of 10 structured didactic learning sessions with 10 lab intensives to reinforce the didactic material. There is a written midterm and final exam, with a corresponding lab practical. Also, prior to each lecture, a short quiz is given to the residents prior to the start of class. Residents also participate in regular journal club discussions and periodically work with physicians and surgeons, either observing surgery or attending medical fellow or radiology conferences.
Residents will also participate in mentorship under an APTA board-certified orthopaedic clinical specialist (OCS). They will lead treatment under the direct supervision of the mentor and participate in advanced orthopaedic discussion regarding the management of that patient.
Please email email@example.com for an application or questions.
Find a variety of classes for for patients, athletes, care providers, parents and coaches both to rehabilitate and help prevent injuries.
Why Choose Us
Unlike other programs, Cleveland Clinic’s Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Residency is structured in a manner that allows the resident to work while taking classes, with the majority of didactic training done on Saturdays.
In addition, the program provides a mentorship with an orthopaedic specialist who are either fellow- or residency trained physical therapists, or APTA board-certified specialists who provide intensive, hands-on learning and real-world experience.
Our courses are led by content experts, providing residents with opportunities to interact with world-renowned physicians and surgeons.
- 120 classroom hours – 10 Saturdays (8 hours) and 10 Fridays (4 hours)
- 8 pre-lecture quizzes
- Written midterm and practical
- Written final and practical
- Case report or poster presentation submission
- Participation in journal club, physician experiences
- 180 hours of clinical mentorship
- 40 hours of lab intensive practice with expert clinicians
- 1:1 mentorship with board-certified orthopaedic specialists
- 1,500+ hours of independent practice in orthopaedics
Cleveland Clinic’s highly trained staff evaluate, diagnose and manage treatment plans, customizing them for each individual patient’s needs. They include:
- 9 Orthopaedic Clinical Specialists
- 3 Sports Certified Specialists
- 2 Fellows of the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy
- 2 Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialists
- 1 holding diploma of Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy
- 1 certified Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy
For those not interested in completing an orthopaedic physical therapy residency program but who are interested in attending advanced orthopaedic classes, we offer a weekly continuing education class. Each day-long Saturday class is available as a continuing education opportunity to earn CEUs.
Thank you for your interest in the career opportunities within Cleveland Clinic Rehabilitation and Sports Therapy (CCRST). Within CCRST, we have a fully-integrated, disease-based care delivery system. Our therapist and support staff work closely with world-class Cleveland Clinic doctors, surgeons and medical specialists who share their subspecialty interests.
At CCRST, we are committed to:
- Helping our patients maintain good health and improve function
- Creating efficient and effective career paths that will define future delivery of rehabilitation services
- Recording and analyzing patient data to gain knowledge from our over 600,000 annual patient encounters
- Learning from our colleagues and partnering with them on research efforts
The Cleveland Clinic Difference
Cleveland is a big-league city with a small-town lifestyle. A welcoming and culturally diverse population takes advantage of superb entertainment, sports, music and outdoor resources in the region. It is a wonderful place to raise a family and build a career.
CCRST Career Opportunities
- Athletic Trainer
- Exercise Physiologist
- Occupational Therapist
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Physical Therapist
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- Recreational Therapist
- Speech Language Pathologist
Meet the Professionals