- Smoking tied to increased heart failure risk in African-Americans. American Heart Association. Dr. Emer Joyce comments. 04/16/18.
- Dangers of taking pain relief with aspirin: The safest over-the-counter pills could sew the seeds for a heart attack when taken with others, study finds. DailyMail.com. Dr. Steven Nissen discusses the research. 04/16/18.
- Local heart transplant recipient walking to D.C. to raise awareness for organ donation. Fox 8 Cleveland. 04/11/18.
- Opioid Epidemic Fueling Rise in Deadly Heart Infections. ideastream. Dr. Nissen comments. 04/06/18
- Older Americans Are Hooked On Vitamins Despite Scarce Evidence They Work. Kaiser Health News. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 04/04/28.
- Study: Standardized care plan improves outcomes for female heart attack patients. WRAL.com. Dr. Umesh Khot comments. 04/03/18.
- New blood pressure diagnostic guidelines announced. Cleveland Jewish News. Dr. Leslie Cho. 04/02/18.
- Guest column: Sudden cardiac arrest prevention begins with education, awareness. USA Today. Dr. Dermot Phelan, 03/30/18.
- One of oldest living heart transplant recipients talks about incredible gift of life. Fox 8 News. Dr. David Taylor, 03/30/18.
- A New Dawn: For South Carolina women's basketball coach Dawn Staley, with age comes wisdom, a tiny dog and hopefully, a second NCAA championship. ESPN. 03/16/18.
- Biological Heart Valve for Young Patients. NBC-5. Dr. Lars Svensson. 03/12/18.
- New heart attack protocol could save women’s lives. New York Post. Umesh Khot, MD comments, 03/12/18.
- Pro football players susceptible to arrhythmias, structural heart change. Healio. Dr. Dermot Phelan comments on the research. 03/12/18.
- The KardiaBand device. (Drs. Tarakj/Bumgarner)
Cleveland Clinic Study Affirms Accurate Detection of Atrial Fibrillation by KardiaBand for Apple Watch.Erie News Now, 03/12/18.
Apple Watch may soon be able to detect hyperkalemia — no blood work required. 9to5mac. 03/12/18.
Smartwatch app accurately detects atrial fibrillation. Health Data Management, 03/02/18
Smartwatch Device Accurately Detects A-fib Before Cardioversion. tcmd, 03/01/18
ECG on smartwatch accurately detects AFib. Clinical-Innovation.com, 02/28/18
This Apple Watch wristband successfully detected abnormal heart rhythms. Mashable.com, 02/28/18
- Pharmacogenetic analysis fails to find benefit for evacetrapib. Healio. Dr. Nissen, 03/12/18.
- Heart attack protocol eliminates gender gap in outcome. Onmedica. Dr. Khot, 03/12/18.
- MOMENTUM 3: MagLev Technology in Patients Undergoing Mechanical Circulatory Support Therapy with HeartMate 3. Medpage today. Dr. Starling, 03/11/18.
- Heart attack protocol that improves outcomes, reduces gender disparities. Business Standard. Dr. Khot, 03/11/18.
- STEMI Protocol Reduces Disparity Between Sexes, Improves Outcomes. MD Magazine. Dr. Khot, 03/10/18.
- Opposite Day: Drug May Save Lives, So Drugmakers Offer To Cut Price. Forbes, Dr. Nissen, 03/10/18
- Wearable Cardioverter-Defibrillator Fails to Meet Primary Endpoint in First Randomized Trial. tctmd. Dr. Wazni, 03/10/18.
- Family History of Heart Disease? Here's What to Do About It. U.S. News. Dr. Haitham Ahmed comments. 03/09/18.
- ACC 2018: Football Is Linked to Structural Heart Changes and Arrhythmias Later in Life. Cardiology. Dr. Dermot Phelan comments on the research. 03/06/18.
- Playing football linked to increased cardiovascular risk. Gulf Times. Dr. Dermot Phelan comments on the research. 03/01/18.
- Years of Football Could Harm the Heart. US News. Dr. Dermot Phelan comments on the research. 02/28/18.
- Football May Cause Harmful Changes To Your Heart. Medical Daily. Dr. Dermot Phelan comments on the research. 02/28/18.
- How the Cleveland Clinic streamlined operations in the cath lab. Cardiovascular Business. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 02/13/18.
- Cleveland Clinic ranked among ‘World’s Most Ethical Companies’ by the Ethisphere Institute. Akron Beacon Journal. 02/13/18
- Israel develops pocket-size device to test for heart attacks. cnn.com. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 02/12/18.
- Boy who was born with a hole in his heart celebrates his first birthday after risky surgery at just four months old. DailyMail.com, WKOW-TV (Madison, WI), WCVB-TV (Boston, MA) and 3 other affiliates. Drs. Hani Najm and Elizabeth Saarel, Cleveland Clinic Children’s, comment. 02/12/18.
- Dr. Marc gives us a tour of the ‘Mega Heart’!. Fox 8 Cleveland. Dr. Marc Gillinov 02/08/18.
- Jeff Green finally learns how long his heart was stopped for life-saving surgery at Cleveland Clinic. Cleveland19.com. Dr. Lars Svensson discusses the basketball player’s surgery. 02/07/18.
- This Is Us' 'Widow Maker' Had Hearts Pounding. WebMD. Dr. Amar Krishnaswamy explains the cause of widow maker heart attacks. 02/06/18.
- Is It Normal to Be Out of Breath When Walking Up the Stairs?. Self.com. Dr. Emily Pennington weighs in. 02/06/18.
- Heart Attack Vs Cardiac Arrest: The Difference Between The Two And How To Respond During A Heart Emergency. Ideastream. Dr. Steven Nissen explains the difference between a heart attack and cardiac arrest. 02/06/18.
- Is Coconut Oil Good for the Heart? EverydayHealth.com. Kate Patton, RD, comments. 02/05/18.
- Fox 8 LIVE at Cleveland Clinic. Fox 8 Cleveland. Mike Crawford, Cardiac Rehabilitation 02/02/18.
- Do you know how to save a life? Wayne gets a ‘hands-on’ CPR lesson. Fox 8 Cleveland. Dr. Marc Gillinov 02/02/18.
- Your Healthiest You 40, 50, 60, And 70+. Prevention Magazine. Dr. Christine Jellis comments 02/01/18.
- Freed From the iPhone, the Apple Watch Finds a Medical Purpose. Dr. Khaldoun Tarakji comments, 12/26/17
- 3D heart saves little boy's life. Hani Najm, MD, Chair of Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Children's explained, 12/22/17.
- Surgical Aortic Valve Repair Effective, Durable in Experienced Hands. Dr. Lars Svensson comments, 12/21/17
- What's the Best Surgical Treatment for Lung Cancer? Dr. Alejandro Bribriesco discusses, 12/15/17
- 27 Top Cardiologists, Picked By Big Data. Drs. Steven Nissen, Randall Starling and David Taylor are included on list, 12/05/17
- Trajectory Unknown: How ORBITA Lands in Clinical Practice Still Up for Debate. Dr. Samir Kapadia comments, 11/27/17
- New Blood Pressure Guidelines Mean More People Need Treatment. Dr. Steven Nissen comments, 11/23/17
- 100 Million Americans Have High Blood Pressure Under New Guidelines. Dr. Haitham Ahmed discusses the guidelines, 11/13/17
– NBC Nightly News: Watch the story.
– Fox 8 News: Watch the story.
– CNN.com: Watch the story.
- Sex rarely makes heart stop beating. Dr. Menon comments, 11/13/17
- Perioperative aspirin reduces risk of death, MI versus placebo. Dr. Kapadia/Dr. Reed comments, 11/13/17
- Long-Awaited Hypertension Guidelines Released at AHA. Dr. Nissen comments, 11/13/17
- PRESERVE: No Benefit from Sodium Bicarbonate, Acetylcysteine After Angiography. Dr. Khot comments, 11/12/17
- AHA: For CIED Surgery, NOAC Administration Up to Clinician. Mina Chung, MD comments, 11/12/17
- TRICS III: Restrictive blood transfusion strategy safe for cardiac surgery. Dr. Tong comments, 11/12/17
- Low High-Sensitivity Troponin I Cutoff May Allow Discharge From ED for Many. Dr. khot comments, 11/11/17
- Bystander CPR in Public More Likely for Men Than for Women. Dr. Abdallah comments, 11/11/17
- Cleveland Clinic finds about 30 percent of retired NFL players in study have enlarged aortas
Dr. Dermot Phelan discusses the research, 11/09/17 - View the story - Listen to the story
- Can Warfarin Protect Against Cancer?
Study finds anticoagulation with warfarin associated with a lower overall cancer risk. Dr. Daniel Cantillon comments, 11/06/17
- Friday Feedback: Research on Lipid-Lowering Therapies 'Alive and Well'
Dr. Steven Nissen weighs in on lipid-lowering therapy research, 10/27/17
- A Second Wind: An Opera Singer Hits the High Notes After Two Double-Lung Transplants
Opera singer and double-lung transplant recipient performed with donor’s daughter at the 2017 Medical Innovation Summit, 10/24/17
- What You Should Know Before Saying 'Yes' to Cholesterol-Lowering Statin Drugs, Dr. Leslie Cho comments, 10/10/17
- Tom Petty’s death from cardiac arrest shines spotlight on sudden killer, Dr. Steven Nissen comments, 10/03/17
- Maple Heights woman undergoes rare second lung transplant, Dr. Murthy comments, 10/03/17
- What to Know About Beta Blockers, Dr. Abdallah comments, 09/25/17
- 2 decades of implantable cardiac devices
Dr. Bruce Wilkoff discusses advances in implantable cardiac devices, 09/20/17
- Cavaliers forward Jeff Green's life was saved at the Cleveland Clinic and Tyronn Lue helped nurse him back to basketball health
Dr. Lars Svensson comments, 09/20/17
- How Long Can You Live With Congestive Heart Failure?
Dr. Maria Mountis explains what you should know about the different heart failure stages and the right lifestyle changes to live longer with the condition, 09/19/17
- Managing Diabetes Symptoms Online: Are These Programs Helpful?
Online support groups guided by experts can help keep people with diabetes accountable. Dr. Betul Hatipoglu comments, 09/18/17
- Transvenous pacemaker complications present in 1 in 6 patients by 3 years
Dr. Daniel Cantillon and team of researchers find complications related to transvenous pacemakers have become more common and contribute to the national health care cost, 09/14/17
- Cleveland Clinic revised policies for the use of two common drugs after their wholesale prices soared. Dr. Umesh Khot comments.
– FierceHealthcare Story, 09/07/17
– Cardivascular Business Story, 09/07/17
– ModernHealthcare.com Story, 09/07/17
- Boy whose heart stopped after bite of hot dog found to have rare condition. Dr. Elizabeth Saarel, Cleveland Clinic Children’s, discusses Brugada syndrome, 09/07/17
- ROOBY-FS: Event-free survival rates lower with off-pump CABG. Dr. Eugene Blackstone discusses, 08/16/17
- Readmission Most Likely Soon After MI. Dr. Umesh Khot discusses, 08/14/17
- Cardiac Complications of Cancer: Arterial Thromboembolism Risk Doubles With Incident Diagnosis. Dr. Natalie Evans comments, 08/14/17
- A New Heart Disease Test Flings Color Genomics Into A Battle About Genetics In Medicine. Dr. Steven Nissen comments, 08/10/17
- Following major price increases, use of two cardiac medicines has dramatically decreased at 47 hospitals. Dr. Umesh Khot discusses his research findings.
– HealthDay Story, 08/09/17
– NPR Story, 08/09/17
– Cardiology Today Story, 08/09/17
- Why is mortality while awaiting heart transplant higher for women? Dr. Eileen Hsich shares her findings, 08/08/17
- Too Many People Stop Their Lifesaving Statins, Doctors Say.Dr. Steven Nissen comments, 08/06/17
- Study: Aspirin Safe for HF Patients. Dr. Steven Nissen comments, 08/01/17
- Cleveland Clinic, Boston Children's Hospital teaming up on cardiac care, 07/26/17
- "Anti-statin" trend putting lives at risk, experts warn, 07/25/17
- Fake news about statins is discouraging the use of these life-saving drugs, expert warns, 07/25/17
- Leading cardiologist blames 'internet driven cult' for spreading lies about statins, 07/25/17
- Mortality higher for women while awaiting urgent heart transplant, 07/25/17
- YOUR HEALTH: Smartphone for your heart, 07/07/17
- Overcoming barriers that limit DASH diet adherence, Dr. Haitham Ahmed comments, 06/29/17
- Merck's Cholesterol Trial Win Puzzles as FDA Filing Uncertain, Dr. Steven Nissen comments, 06/27/17
- Merck heart drug surprises with positive result; questions linger, Dr. Steven Nissen comments, 06/27/17
- Mother's heart health tied to breastfeeding, Dr. Steven Nissen comments, 06/21/17
- AHA: Polyunsaturated fats as substitute for saturated fats lower risk for CVD, Dr. Steven Nissen comments, 06/15/17
- How a 3-D Model Turned Life Around for One Young Boy, Dr. Kenneth Zahka, Cleveland Clinic Children’s, comments, 06/15/17
- LEADER: Baseline CVD medication use does not explain liraglutide CV benefit, 06/12/17
- Less invasive treatment lowers risk for those with an abdominal aortic aneurysm, 06/08/17
- Two strategies feasible after failed EVAR, 06/01/17
- Lone Atrial Fibrillation Clinical Characteristics in Children, 05/30/17
- Expert QA: Teen Dies from Chugging Caffeine, 05/16/17
- Cleveland Clinic names Dr. A. Marc Gillinov chairman of Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, 05/14/17
- Comrades in TAVR? Cardiac Surgeons Say They’re Involved in All Stages of TAVR Care, 05/14/17
- Aspirin may not benefit patients with peripheral vascular disease, 05/11/17
- Common Painkillers Linked To Increased Risk Of Heart Attack, Study Says, 05/10/17
- Organ donor advocate stays in the race, 05/08/17
- How Much Cardio Is Really Good for Your Heart?, 05/05/17
- Sutureless aortic prosthesis linked to positive 1-year hemodynamic, clinical, functional outcomes, 05/02/17
- Nutrient raising TMAO level linked to platelet hyperresponsiveness, but aspirin mitigates effect, 05/02/17
- Mitral Valve Surgery Volume Matters–Study supports having centers of excellence in mitral valve repair, 05/02/17
- Plantation man is clinic's first recipient of new heart, kidney, 04/26/17
- Diet and gut bacteria linked with blood clots, 04/24/17
- Cleveland Clinic researchers show dietary choline and TMAO linked with increased blood clotting, 04/24/17
- Vitamin D Supplements – Helpful or harmful?, 04/19/17
- Medical guidelines may mean millions miss out on life-saving drugs, 04/18/17
- Life-saving lung transplant allows man to walk his daughter down the aisle, 04/12/17
- Can Stem Cell 'Patch' Help Heart Failure?, 04/05/17
- Researchers: No evidence Vitamin D helps prevent heart disease, 04/05/17
- Standard chest-strap heart rate monitors more accurate than wrist-worn monitors, 04/04/17
- What It Means When Your Heart Skips a Beat—and 9 Things That Cause It
- Grateful lung recipient makes plea for organ donation, 03/31/17
- Is It Harder to Lose Weight When You’re Older?, 03/31/17
- Insurers weigh a simpler, cheaper treatment for artery disease: supervised workouts, 03/20/17
- ABSORB-3 at 2 Years: More CV Events With Absorb BVS vs Xience, 03/19/17
- Higher heart risk seen with Abbott dissolving stent after two years: study, 03/18/17
- Study finds new heart drug prevents heart attacks in high-risk patients, 03/17/17
- Amgen Drug Prevents Heart Attacks, Not Deaths, Disappointing Experts, 03/17/17
- Who Really Needs Cholesterol and Blood Pressure Drugs, 03/17/17
- Fish Oil Pills May Help After Heart Attack, Specialists Say, 03/13/17
- Wrist-worn heart rate monitors less accurate than standard chest strap, 03/08/17
- 8 Foods to Watch Out for If You Have High Blood Pressure
- "Biggest Loser" Trainer, Bob Harper, Suffers Heart Attack, 03/07/17
- Plasma TMAO May Help Predict Cardiovascular Mortality Risk, 03/1/17
- How your body shape may influence your disease risk, 02/21/17
- Heart Attack: Slashing Door-to-Balloon Times, 02/20/17
- 7 Causes of Chest Pain That Aren't a Heart Attack, 02/20/17
- Many Americans unaware of important heart health numbers: survey, 02/20/17
- Boy born with heart in wrong place thriving after 3-D printing-guided surgery, 02/20/17
- Heart health how-tos: Keeping your ticker in tip-top shape, 02/17/17
- Aging Americans: How our government can ensure they receive the best healthcare possible, 02/14/17
- Does 'Good' Cholesterol Still Matter?, 02/07/17
- Cleveland Clinic offers new heart treatment for moms-to-be, 02/01/17
To provide patients and physicians with the latest information about cardiovascular health, please visit the Cleveland Clinic’s Heart and Vascular Institute Health Essentials blog, offering free and timely content related to heart, vascular and thoracic topics. The regularly updated blog will explore current topics related to research, Cleveland Clinic physician perspectives on breaking news stories and offer an outlet for Cleveland Clinic heart patients to share their story with readers.
"There's a strong demand for information about the heart and heart health from authoritative sources," says Maan Fares, MD, the medical director for the heart blog. "The Health Essentials blog is the source of breaking news from Cleveland Clinic's cardiovascular program. It provides commentary from our experts on current issues. And it features stories that will enrich and enlarge readers' knowledge and appreciation of the heart in all its complexity. We want readers to check in on the Health Essentials every day."