- U.S. News names Cleveland Clinic No. 4 hospital, best in heart surgery. The Plain Dealer, Medscape, Akron Beacon Journal, Crain’s Cleveland Business, WKYC-TV 3, WEWS-TV 5, WOIO-TV 19 and numerous other media outlets – Cleveland Clinic ranked fourth place overall in U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals ratings, and earned the top nationwide ranking in cardiology and heart surgery for the 25th consecutive year. Dr. Herbert Wiedemann comments. 07/30/19
- Kelly Rowland: Losing My Mother to Heart Disease Was a Wake-Up Call. Healthline – Dr. Dermot Phelan explains the circumstances surrounding sudden cardiac death. 07/29/19
- Former NFL Players Have Higher Odds for Dangerous A-Fib. U.S. News & World Report, Medical Xpress and several other media outlets – New study suggests that former NFL players have a nearly six times higher rate of atrial fibrillation versus other men their age. Dr. Dermot Phelan discusses his research. 07/24/19
- FDA approves gadobutrol injections for use in cardiac MRIs. Cardiology Today – The FDA approves gadobutrol injections for use in cardiac MRIs. Dr. Scott Flamm comments. 07/15/19
- Benefits of Continuous Glucose Monitoring. Medpage Today – Dr. Steven Nissen shares his excitement for the potential of continuous glucose monitoring as a method for reducing cardiovascular risk. 07/12/19
- Most dietary supplements do not protect against heart attack and stroke. NBCNews.com – A new study finds little evidence supplements can protect against heart attacks, stroke and early death. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 07/08/19
- Crain’s Cleveland Business. Cleveland Clinic names Dr. Samir Kapadia chair of the Robert and Suzanne Tomsich Department of Cardiovascular Medicine. Request the Story
- How to Reduce Your Risk of Heart Disease.& The Wall Street Journal. Experts explain things you can do to reduce your risk of heart disease. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 06/21/19
- Fourth Carcinogen Discovered in Heart Pills Used by Millions. Bloomberg. An online pharmacy finds another cancer-causing chemical in widely prescribed blood-pressure pills. Dr. Suma Thomas comments. 06/18/19
- Heart Rate Trackers: Is a Fitness Watch or a Chest Strap the Most Accurate HR Reading? Women’s Health. According to Dr. Marc Gillinov, a chest strap is the most accurate heart rate monitor. 06/18/19
- Real-world Stroke With TAVR: TVT Registry Insights Rekindle Cerebral Protection Debate. TCTMD. A registry snapshot hints that TAVR stroke rates have been stable. Dr. Samir Kapadia comments. 06/13/19
- COMMENCE: Surgical AVR with bioprosthetic valve confers improved outcomes at 4 years. Cardiology Today. Dr. Lars Svensson comments on data presented at the American Association for Thoracic Surgery 99th Annual Meeting. 05/31/19
- U.S. surgeon general, Cleveland Clinic doctors say naloxone is critical to reducing opioid overdose deaths. Cleveland.com. Cleveland Clinic doctors join U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams on panel discussion about the opioid epidemic. 05/29/19
- Fasting Before CV Labs? Maybe Don't Bother. Medpage Today. Dr. Steven Nissen comments on results of the ASCOT trial. 05/28/19
- Former NFL players die at a faster rate than other professional athletes, study finds. STAT. Dr. Dermot Phelan comments on the results of the study. 05/24/19
- TMAO and Heart Disease: The New Red Meat Risk? JAMA. Dr. Hazen and Dr. Tang are interviewed. 05/22/19
- Higher Risk of Intracranial Hemorrhage With Aspirin in Primary Prevention. TCTMD. Results from a new meta-analysis provide support against the routine use of aspirin for the primary prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 05/20/19
- Higher Risk of Intracranial Hemorrhage With Aspirin in Primary Prevention. TCTMD. Results from a new meta-analysis provide support against the routine use of aspirin for the primary prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 05/20/19
- Antibacterial Envelope to Prevent Cardiac Implantable Device Infection. NEJM. 05/16/19
- Salt Consumption May Increase Lightheadedness. Healio.com – Dr. Luke Laffin shares his perspective on study looking at sodium intake and lightheadedness. 05/16/19
- Hospitals Look to Computers to Predict Patient Emergencies Before they Happen. STAT – Dr. Daniel Cantillon discusses Cleveland Clinic’s Central Monitoring Unit. 05/13/19
- Allegations of Widespread Fraud Raise Questions About the Safety of Generic Drugs Made Overseas. CBS This Morning – New book calls into question the safety of generic drugs manufactured overseas. Dr. Randall Starling comments and Cleveland Clinic patient is featured. 05/10/19
- Patients Often Lack Basic Knowledge About Their Implanted Devices. TCTMD – Survey finds patients often lack basic knowledge about their implanted devices. Dr. Khaldoun Tarakji comments. 05/08/19
- Study Warns That Sitting for Hours at the Computer is Putting Americans at Risk for Serious Health Complications. NBC Nightly News. Dr. Luke Laffin explains. Watch the Story.
- Guidelines for Perioperative Care in Cardiac Surgery. JAMA. Authored by a multidisciplinary team of cardiac surgeons, anesthesiologists and critical care specialists, including Dr. Roselli and Dr. Fletcher from Cleveland Clinic. 05/04/19
- A machine learning device, meant to monitor the chronically ill, moves into homes. STAT – A wearable device that uses machine learning to remotely track and analyze multiple vital signs has been cleared by the Food and Drug Administration. Dr. Daniel Cantillon comments. 04/24/19.
- AHA News: Evidence Grows for an HPV-Heart Disease Connection. U.S. News & World Report – New research shows link between HPV and risk for developing heart disease. Dr. Christine Jellis comments. 04/22/19
- Everything We Know About Mick Jagger's Heart Valve Surgery Recovery. Prevention and Yahoo! – Legendary singer Mick Jagger underwent heart surgery to replace a valve in his heart. Dr. Marc Gillinov discusses heart valve replacement surgery. 04/08/19
- Mick Jagger heart surgery report shines light on valve replacement procedure. CBS News and Prevention – Legendary singer Mick Jagger is reportedly scheduled to undergo heart valve surgery this week. Drs. Marc Gillinov and Lars Svensson discuss heart valve replacement surgery. 04/02/19
- Khaldoun Tarakji, MD, MPH: Assessing, Advancing the WRAP-IT Results. MD Magazine. 03/19/19
- Comprehensive care may improve outcomes in STEMI. Cardiology Today’s Intervention – Dr. Umesh Khot comments on results of study looking at a comprehensive focus on STEMI care. 03/29/19
- RM-ALONE: Remote monitoring protocol safe, efficient. Cardiology Today. Dr. Daniel Cantillon shares his perspective on results of remote monitoring study. 3/4/19
- Low-Risk TAVR trials represent ‘historic moment’ in care of aortic stenosis. Helio. Dr. Samir Kapadia shares his perspective on the study presented at the American College of Cardiology Scientific Session. 3/17/19
- Steve Nissen, MD: The Next Generation of SGLT-2 Trials. MD Magazine. Dr. Steve Nissen makes the case for comprehensive trials comparing sodium glucose co-transporter 2 therapies. 3/17/19
- The Plain Dealer, HealthDay, WSYR-TV (Syracuse, NY) and several other media outlets – A Cleveland Clinic-led research team finds using an absorbable, antibiotic-eluting envelope when implanting cardiac devices like pacemakers and defibrillators cut the rate of major infections by 40 percent. Dr. Khaldoun Tarakji comments. 3/17/19
- What Are Heart Murmurs? U.S. News & World Report. Dr. Mouin Abdallah weighs in. 3/25/19
- The 10 Best Hospitals in the World. Newsweek. Newsweek lists Cleveland Clinic as one of the best hospitals in the world. 3/20/19
- Streamlined Procedure Maintains Benefits of Cryoablation Over Drugs for Paroxysmal A-fib. TCTMD. Dr. Oussama Wazni comments on findings from the AVATAR-AF trial. 3/20/19
- Organs with Hepatitis C. WJW-TV 8 – New medical technology allows doctors to use hepatitis C infected organs for transplant and then cure the disease in the recipient. Dr. Miriam Jacob comments and heart transplant patient is featured. Watch the Story
- Meet Cleveland Clinic’s pediatric heart surgeon by day, taekwondo champion by night. WJW-TV 8. Dr. Hani Najm, Cleveland Clinic Children’s, shares how taekwondo helped prepare him physically and mentally to be the physician he is today. 02/25/19
- Heart issues are among the top reasons women die in childbirth. WOIO-TV 19. Cleveland Clinic’s Cardio-Obstetrics Clinic helps women with heart issues who are pregnant or want to become pregnant. Dr. David Majdalany comments and patient is featured. 02/22/19
- Best way to lose weight. Fox 8. Best Way to Lose Weight Heart Health with Dr. Sapna Legha. 02/22/19
- Heart Healthy Breakfast. Fox 8. Heart Healthy Breakfast with Dr. Marc Gillinov. 02/22/19
- Rheumatologists 'very poor' at managing cardiovascular risk in RA. Helio.com. Rheumatologists are often less familiar with cardiovascular risk factors in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Dr. Elaine Husni explains. 02/21/19
- Lifestyle for Longevity. CBS This Morning. A Cleveland Clinic survey finds that while most Americans understand that there is a connection between a healthy heart and a healthy weight, most aren’t doing enough to combat their own weight issues.
- The best foods to eat for your heart health. WKYC 3. Best foods to eat for heart health with Julia Zumpano. 02/20/19
- Simple tips to improve your heart health. WKYC 3. Dr. Roselli comments. 02/15/19.
- Former news anchor wants you to ask the right questions about heart health. WEWS-TV 5. Dr. Stephanie Mick comments. 02/15/19
- Exercise performance is a good predictor of longevity, Cleveland Clinic study shows. The Plain Dealer. Cleveland Clinic study finds exercise performance a good predictor of longevity. Dr. Serge Harb comments on his research. 02/14/19
- 40 Percent of Americans Ignore the Consequences of This Heart Health Risk Factor. Parade.com, WIS-TV (Columbia, SC) and numerous other affiliates. A Cleveland Clinic survey finds that while most Americans understand that there is a connection between a healthy heart and a healthy weight, most aren’t doing enough to combat their own weight issues. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 02/01/19
- Is That Cold Medicine in Your Cabinet Raising Your Blood Pressure? Healthline. Several common cold medicines can raise your blood pressure and increase your risk for a heart attack. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 02/08/19
- 25 Worst Foods for Your Heart, According to Cardiologists and Dietitians. Prevention. Cardiologists and dietitians discuss the worst foods for your heart. Cleveland Clinic research is mentioned. 02/07/19
- 10 women. 10 life or death tales. The Lily. Dr. Maria Mountis shares how her father’s own health crisis inspired her to pursue cardiology. 02/07/19
- How weight impacts heart health. WKYC-TV 3. A Cleveland Clinic survey finds that while most Americans understand that there is a connection between a healthy heart and a healthy weight, most aren’t doing enough to combat their own weight issues. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 02/07/19
- 10 Ways Your Heart Changes After 50. Reader’s Digest. It’s important for women to understand how their heart changes after menopause. Dr. Christine Jellis comments.
- More Smoking, Heart Woes Boost Native Americans' Stroke Risk. HealthDay, U.S. News & World Report and Cardiovascular Business. New study finds stroke risk factors are on the rise among Native Americans. Dr. Dinesh Jillella discusses the findings. 01/31/19
- Almost half of Americans have heart or blood vessel disease, new report finds. NBCNews.com. A new report finds that almost half of all Americans have some form of heart disease. Drs. Leslie Cho and Steven Nissen comment. 01/31/19
- What You Need to Know About Donating Blood. Nextavenue.org – Dr. Eiran Gorodeski discusses risks for older adults to consider before donating blood. 01/29/19
- Controlling Blood Pressure May Help Prevent Cognitive Decline. Consumer Reports. New study finds controlling blood pressure may help prevent cognitive decline. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 01/28/19
- Blood pressure medication recall expands again. WKYC3. Several pharmaceutical companies have voluntarily recalled 16 different versions of medications containing Valsartan because they contain a potential carcinogen. Dr. Steven Nissen weighs in. 01/23/19
- Do You Need Blood Pressure Drugs? Consumer Reports. Experts weigh in on who should be taking blood pressure medications. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 01/12/19
- Exercise Actually Remodels Your Heart. Science Friday. Exercise Actually Remodels your Heart with Dr. Wael Jaber. 01/11/19
- This Fatty Acid Can Actually Reduce Your Heart Attack Risk by 48 Percent. Reader's Digest. Dr. Luke Laffin explains how oleic acid works to improve cardiovascular health.
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has malignant growths removed from lungs. NBCNews and ABC news. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg underwent surgery Friday morning to remove cancerous growths from her left lung. Dr. Sudish Murthy comments. 12/21/18.
- Cleveland Clinic Doctor explains the idea behind a proposed scoring system that could potentially expand the scope of patients who could be helped by the evidence base for a treatment. Medscape. Dr. Luke Laffin explains.
- Are statins overprescribed? Why the risks and benefits are so complex. CNN. New study looks at the benefits and risks of four commonly used statins. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 12/03/19
- New Physical Activity Guidelines Say We Should Be Moving More All Day Long. EverydayHealth. Dr. Haitham Ahmed comments. 11/28/18
- New research suggests a novel antisense agent is relatively safe and highly effective in lowering levels of lipoprotein in patients with both elevated Lp and established cardiovascular disease. MedScape. Dr. Steven Nissen shares his thoughts on the findings. 11/28/18
- Money, Math and Medicine. Forbes. Dr. Nissen shares his view on clinical research organizations. 11/03/18
- AHA: PTSD Common Among Those Who Suffer Tear in the Aorta's Wall. HealthDay. Cleveland Clinic study finds post-traumatic stress disorder common among people who suffer an aortic dissection. 11/13/18
- Steven Nissen, MD: Risk Calculation is a Risky Business. MD Magazine. Dr. Nissen discusses the updated guidelines for clinicians on the management of blood cholesterol. 11/13/18
- Postpartum depression may raise heart risks. Health 24. Study finds women who suffer from postpartum depression could have a higher risk of suffering from a heart attack, stroke or heart failure. Dr. Leslie Cho comments. 11/13/18
- New guidelines suggest a 'lifespan approach' to battle high cholesterol. USA Today and CNN. New guidelines suggest health factors such as family history should be taken into account when examining a person's risk for high cholesterol. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 11/12/18
- Updated cholesterol guidelines criticized for coronary artery CT scan recommendation. Health Imaging. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 11/12/18
- Amarin's Fish-Oil-Derived Drug Shows Great Promise—With Big Caveats. Forbes. Dr. Nissen comments on results of the REDUCE-IT trial looking at a fish-oil-derived heart drug. 11/10/18
- DECLARE-TIMI 58 Supports HF Benefit of SGLT2 Inhibitors. TCTMD. Dr. Nissen comments on results of the DECLARE-TIMI 58 trial looking at patients with type 2 diabetes and high cardiovascular risk. 11/10/18
- AHA: Prescription Fish Oil Wins for CV Prevention. MedPage Today. The results are "truly extraordinary" given the magnitude of CV event reduction, commented Haitham Ahmed, MD, MPH, of the Cleveland Clinic. 11/10/18
- Obesity Week: Getting to the Heart of the Matter. Medscape. This year's joint meeting of The Obesity Society and American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery will focus on the important links between obesity and cardiovascular health. Dr. Nissen comments. 11/08/18
- A new drug lowers cholesterol. Can it spoil a multibillion-dollar market? STAT News. Dr. Nissen comments on the results of a recent clinical trial. 10/28/18
- These Cholesterol-Reducers May Save Lives. So Why Aren’t Heart Patients Getting Them? The New York Times. In one study, 80 percent of patients who tried to get PCSK9 inhibitors were met with initial rejections by insurers. Dr. Leslie Cho comments. 10/02/18
- Being Fit May Be as Good for You as Not Smoking. The New York Times. Cleveland Clinic study finds being in shape may be as important to a long life as not smoking. Dr. Wael Jaber discusses his research. 10/31/18
- Wintery Conditions Linked to Increased Heart Attack Risk. EverydayHealth.com. According to a large scale study, cold winter weather is linked to an increased risk of heart attack. Dr. Luke Laffin weighs in. 10/31/18
- Not exercising worse for your health than smoking, diabetes and heart disease, study reveals Cleveland Clinic study finds that a sedentary lifestyle is worse for your health than smoking, diabetes and heart disease. Dr. Wael Jaber discusses his research.
- Bystander defibrillator use more likely for older kids. Reuters. Recent study suggests older children in cardiac arrest are more likely than younger kids to have a bystander use a defibrillator to treat them before an ambulance arrives. Dr. Peter Aziz, Cleveland Clinic Children’s, comments. 9/27/18.
- The Truth About Heart Medications. Consumer Reports and MSN. Dr. Steven Nissen warns against aggressively lowering the blood pressure of elderly people. 9/26/18.
- Your 'heart age' may be a risk factor for early death. FoxNews.com. Dr. Christine Jellis comments. 9/22/18.
- If You’re Over 65, the Mediterranean Diet Can Lower Mortality Risk by 25%. Healthline. New research shows the Mediterranean diet is a healthy choice for adults at any age. Kristin Kirkpatrick, RD, comments. 9/21/18.
- I Was Fit and Healthy: Howie Mandel on His High Cholesterol Diagnosis. Healthline. Comedian and TV host Howie Mandel shares his personal high cholesterol journey. Dr. Luke Laffin comments. 9/20/18.
- Drop in Long-Term Stroke Complications with Newer LVAD. Medpage Today. Dr. Randall Starling comments on long-term results from the MOMENTUM 3 trial. 9/19/18.
- TAVR Without Balloon Aortic Valvuloplasty: Increasingly Common, With Similar Outcomes. TCTMD. Dr. Samir Kapadia comments. 9/17/18
- ASPREE: Aspirin Bombs Again for Primary Prevention. Medpage Today. Dr. Steven Nissen shares his thoughts on the results of a recent aspirin study. 9/16/18.
- Wearable Health Monitors. Do They Work? Wall Street Journal, 9/16/2018. Dr. Tarakji comments on his research. 9/16/18
- TAVR Without Balloon Aortic Valvuloplasty. Increasingly Common, With Similar Outcomes, TCTMD, 9/17/2018. Dr. Kapadia comments. 9/17/18
- ASPREE Aspirin Bombs Again for Primary Prevention. MedPage Today. 9/16/2018. Dr. Nissen shares his thoughts. 9/16/18
- How to find out if you have this cholesterol. Healthline. Dr. Laffin comments. 8/24/18
- What to Do When You Disagree With Your Doctor. U.S. News & World Report. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 8/24/18
- Cleveland Museum of Natural History podcast. Dr. Doug Johnston explains how Cleveland Clinic is studying the principles of elite performance under stress. 8/14/2018
- Cardiovascular Business. Analysis finds stroke rates are higher in the first 30 days after coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) than percutaneous coronary intervention. 7/24/2018
- Voice of America. Doctors can prevent more amputations with limb saving surgery. Dr. Lee Kirksey comments. 7/19/2018
- Physicians Forge Strong Links In Supply Chain. Health Leaders Media. Allen Passerallo, MBA, senior director of supply chain management, comments. 6/27/2018
- Sleep Mistakes You're Probably Making. About Magazine. Dr. Alan Rudick identifies common mistakes people make when trying to fall asleep. 6/20/2018
- Leadless pacemakers confer fewer short-term, midterm complications. Cardiology Today. Dr. Daniel Cantillon comments. 6/28/2018
- Determining Your Risk for Heart Attack. ideastream. Dr. Leslie Cho discusses the lab results. 6/28/2018
- New Cleveland Clinic Lakewood Family Center set to open this weekend. WKYC-TV 3. Dr. John Tafuri shares a look inside the new Cleveland Clinic Lakewood Family Health Center. 6/28/2018
- That Huge Mediterranean Diet Study Was Flawed. But Was It Wrong? NYTimes. Dr. Steven Nissen comments on the Mediterranean diet. 06/13/18.
- Size Might Matter for CRT to Work in Narrow-QRS Heart Failure. Medscape. Dr. Niraj Varma comments on study results presented at European Society of Cardiology Heart Failure (ESC-HF) 2018. 06/12/18.
- What Is Minimally Invasive Surgery for Lung Cancer? US News. Dr. Sudish Murthy weighs in. 06/11/18.
- Latest heart valve treatment allows more patients to avoid open-heart surgery. The Washington Post. Dr. Marc Gillinov discusses transcatheter aortic valve replacement. 06/10/18.
- New Equation May Better Estimate Cardiovascular Disease Risk. Medscape. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 06/06/18.
- New Blood Pressure Rules Could Prevent Many 2nd Strokes: Study. HealthDay. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 06/06/18.
- Statin recommendations may change, especially for African-Americans. CNN.com. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 06/04/18.
- Study: Boost your work out by adding some music. WZZM 13. Dr. Ahmed comments. 06/02/18.
- Scientists Discuss Health Dangers From Sitting. ideastream. Dr. Haitham Ahmed explains why sitting is bad for your health. (Begins at 26.30). 05/24/18
- How One Patient Protected Himself Against Stroke After TAVR. US News. Dr. Samir Kapadia comments. 05/21/18.
- The Worst Heart Health Advice Cardiologists Have Heard. Reader's Digest. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 05/18.
- Hard Pill to Swallow: Medication Adherence in Cardiovascular Disease. MD Magazine. Dr. Nissen comments. 05/10/18.
- CABANA Misses Primary But May Spur Afib Ablation Anyway. Medpage Today. Dr. Bruce Lindsay comments on results of the CABANA atrial fibrillation ablation study. 05/10/18.
- CABANA Misses Primary Endpoint, but Electrophysiologists See Support for Ablation. tctMD. Dr. Bruce Lindsay comments on results of the CABANA atrial fibrillation ablation study. 05/10/18.
- Study Shows These 5 Healthy Habits Can Add More Than a Decade to Your Life. Everyday Health. Dr. Marc Gillinov comments. 05/09/18.
- Heart Transplant Recipient, Walking From Cleveland Clinic, Arrived at White House Yesterday. 05/09/18.
- Man receives heart transplant and walks from Cleveland Clinic to the White House. YourErie.com. Cleveland Clinic heart transplant patient completes his walk from Cleveland to Washington, D.C. to raise awareness for organ donation. 05/09/18.
- The incidence and prognostic implications of worsening right ventricular function after surgical or transcatheter aortic valve replacement: insights from PARTNER IIA. European Heart Journal. Dr. Lars Svensson, Dr. Wael Jaber, Dr. Paul Cremer, Dr. Leonardo Rodriguez. 05/08/18
- Princeton woman first in nation to receive new heart valve. Bluefield Daily Telegraph. Dr. Svensson discusses this new heart valve. 05/07/18.
- Variants that may cause AF risk identified. Cardiology Today. Dr. Mina Chung comments on results of genome-wide association study. 05/07/18.
- Cerebral embolic protection beneficial in TAVR, but one size does not fit all. Healio.com. Dr. Samir Kapadia comments. 05/04/18.
- Afib Found in Growing Proportion of Strokes. Medpage Today. Dr. Oussama Wazni comments. 05/02/18.
- EMS Going Directly to PCI Centers Speeds Up STEMI Treatment. tctmd.com. Dr. Umesh Khot comments. 05/01/18.
- WCPN Facebook Live – Researchers give tour of the heart research lab at Lerner Research Institute. 05/01/18.
- How an opioid addiction can eat your heart alive. PBS News Hour. An opioid addiction can result in deadly heart infections among I.V. drug users. Drs. Jose Navia and Steven Nissen explain. 04/30/18.
- National DNA Day Recognizes Science Milestones. ideastream. Dr. Wilson Tang discusses advances in human genomics. 04/25/18.
- FDA Advisory Panel Says Celecoxib Is as Safe for Heart as Ibuprofen and Naproxen. tctMD. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 04/24/18.
- Bikur Cholim of Cleveland honors Dr. Harry Lever as Physician of the Year. Cleveland Jewish News. 04/23/18.
- Three Lessons from 'Astounding' Barbershop HTN Intervention. Medpage Today. Dr. Leslie Cho shares her thoughts on the Barbershop study. 04/19/18.
- New blood pressure diagnostic guidelines announced. Cleveland Jewish News. 'White coat hypertension' may be sign of a real problem, study finds. NBC Nightly News. Dr. Haitham Ahmed comments. 04/18/18.
- Smoking tied to increased heart failure risk in African-Americans. American Heart Association. Dr. Emer Joyce comments. 04/16/18.
- Dangers of taking pain relief with aspirin: The safest over-the-counter pills could sew the seeds for a heart attack when taken with others, study finds. DailyMail.com. Dr. Steven Nissen discusses the research. 04/16/18.
- New heart attack protocol could save women’s lives. NY Post. Dr. Umesh Khot discusses his research. 04/12/18.
- Local heart transplant recipient walking to D.C. to raise awareness for organ donation. Fox 8 Cleveland. Dr. Leslie Cho provides insight on the new guideline for diagnosing high blood pressure. 04/11/18.
- After Heart Transplant, Local Man is Paying it Forward with Walk from CLE to Nation's Capital. WKYC 3. 04/11/18
- From no pulse to walking thirteen miles a day, heart transplant recipient is walking to Washington, D.C. 19 Action News. 04/11/18
- Opioid Epidemic Fueling Rise in Deadly Heart Infections. ideastream. Dr. Nissen comments. 04/06/18
- Older Americans Are Hooked On Vitamins Despite Scarce Evidence They Work. Kaiser Health News. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 04/04/28.
- Study: Standardized care plan improves outcomes for female heart attack patients. WRAL.com. Dr. Umesh Khot comments. 04/03/18.
- New blood pressure diagnostic guidelines announced. Cleveland Jewish News. Dr. Leslie Cho. 04/02/18.
- Guest column: Sudden cardiac arrest prevention begins with education, awareness. USA Today. Dr. Dermot Phelan, 03/30/18.
- One of oldest living heart transplant recipients talks about incredible gift of life. Fox 8 News. Dr. David Taylor, 03/30/18.
- A New Dawn: For South Carolina women's basketball coach Dawn Staley, with age comes wisdom, a tiny dog and hopefully, a second NCAA championship. ESPN. 03/16/18.
- Biological Heart Valve for Young Patients. NBC-5. Dr. Lars Svensson. 03/12/18.
- New heart attack protocol could save women’s lives. New York Post. Umesh Khot, MD comments, 03/12/18.
- Pro football players susceptible to arrhythmias, structural heart change. Healio. Dr. Dermot Phelan comments on the research. 03/12/18.
- The KardiaBand device. (Drs. Tarakj/Bumgarner)
Smartwatch app accurately detects atrial fibrillation. Health Data Management, 03/02/18
Smartwatch Device Accurately Detects A-fib Before Cardioversion. tcmd, 03/01/18
ECG on smartwatch accurately detects AFib. Clinical-Innovation.com, 02/28/18
This Apple Watch wristband successfully detected abnormal heart rhythms. Mashable.com, 02/28/18
- Pharmacogenetic analysis fails to find benefit for evacetrapib. Healio. Dr. Nissen, 03/12/18.
- Heart attack protocol eliminates gender gap in outcome. Onmedica. Dr. Khot, 03/12/18.
- MOMENTUM 3: MagLev Technology in Patients Undergoing Mechanical Circulatory Support Therapy with HeartMate 3. Medpage today. Dr. Starling, 03/11/18.
- Heart attack protocol that improves outcomes, reduces gender disparities. Business Standard. Dr. Khot, 03/11/18.
- STEMI Protocol Reduces Disparity Between Sexes, Improves Outcomes. MD Magazine. Dr. Khot, 03/10/18.
- Opposite Day: Drug May Save Lives, So Drugmakers Offer To Cut Price. Forbes, Dr. Nissen, 03/10/18
- Wearable Cardioverter-Defibrillator Fails to Meet Primary Endpoint in First Randomized Trial. tctmd. Dr. Wazni, 03/10/18.
- Family History of Heart Disease? Here's What to Do About It. U.S. News. Dr. Haitham Ahmed comments. 03/09/18.
- ACC 2018: Football Is Linked to Structural Heart Changes and Arrhythmias Later in Life. Cardiology. Dr. Dermot Phelan comments on the research. 03/06/18.
- Playing football linked to increased cardiovascular risk. Gulf Times. Dr. Dermot Phelan comments on the research. 03/01/18.
- Years of Football Could Harm the Heart. US News. Dr. Dermot Phelan comments on the research. 02/28/18.
- Football May Cause Harmful Changes To Your Heart. Medical Daily. Dr. Dermot Phelan comments on the research. 02/28/18.
- How the Cleveland Clinic streamlined operations in the cath lab. Cardiovascular Business. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 02/13/18.
- Israel develops pocket-size device to test for heart attacks. cnn.com. Dr. Steven Nissen comments. 02/12/18.
- Boy who was born with a hole in his heart celebrates his first birthday after risky surgery at just four months old. DailyMail.com, WKOW-TV (Madison, WI), WCVB-TV (Boston, MA) and 3 other affiliates. Drs. Hani Najm and Elizabeth Saarel, Cleveland Clinic Children’s, comment. 02/12/18.
- Dr. Marc gives us a tour of the ‘Mega Heart’!. Fox 8 Cleveland. Dr. Marc Gillinov 02/08/18.
- Jeff Green finally learns how long his heart was stopped for life-saving surgery at Cleveland Clinic. Cleveland19.com. Dr. Lars Svensson discusses the basketball player’s surgery. 02/07/18.
- This Is Us' 'Widow Maker' Had Hearts Pounding. WebMD. Dr. Amar Krishnaswamy explains the cause of widow maker heart attacks. 02/06/18.
- Is It Normal to Be Out of Breath When Walking Up the Stairs?. Self.com. Dr. Emily Pennington weighs in. 02/06/18.
- Heart Attack Vs Cardiac Arrest: The Difference Between The Two And How To Respond During A Heart Emergency. Ideastream. Dr. Steven Nissen explains the difference between a heart attack and cardiac arrest. 02/06/18.
- Is Coconut Oil Good for the Heart? EverydayHealth.com. Kate Patton, RD, comments. 02/05/18.
- Fox 8 LIVE at Cleveland Clinic. Fox 8 Cleveland. Mike Crawford, Cardiac Rehabilitation 02/02/18.
- Do you know how to save a life? Wayne gets a ‘hands-on’ CPR lesson. Fox 8 Cleveland. Dr. Marc Gillinov 02/02/18.
- Your Healthiest You 40, 50, 60, And 70+. Prevention Magazine. Dr. Christine Jellis comments 02/01/18.
To provide patients and physicians with the latest information about cardiovascular health, please visit the Cleveland Clinic’s Heart and Vascular Institute Health Essentials blog, offering free and timely content related to heart, vascular and thoracic topics. The regularly updated blog will explore current topics related to research, Cleveland Clinic physician perspectives on breaking news stories and offer an outlet for Cleveland Clinic heart patients to share their story with readers.
"There's a strong demand for information about the heart and heart health from authoritative sources," says Maan Fares, MD, the medical director for the heart blog. "The Health Essentials blog is the source of breaking news from Cleveland Clinic's cardiovascular program. It provides commentary from our experts on current issues. And it features stories that will enrich and enlarge readers' knowledge and appreciation of the heart in all its complexity. We want readers to check in on the Health Essentials every day."