Whatever the reason, rhinoplasty — also called a “nose job” — might be the answer. This very common and popular procedure can reshape your nose so you’re happier with what you see in the mirror. But it’s more than cosmetic. Rhinoplasty can help you feel better too.
Cleveland Clinic’s rhinoplasty team includes highly skilled and experienced surgeons and anesthesiologists. They’ll sit down with you and have open, honest conversations about what to expect if you decide this procedure is for you.
Why Choose Cleveland Clinic for Rhinoplasty?
All of our surgeons are double board-certified in both otolaryngology-head and neck surgery and facial plastic reconstructive surgery. We have years of training and experience working inside the nose to fix breathing problems. Our experts also focus exclusively on plastic surgery of the face. They have extensive knowledge of the complex anatomy of the face and nose. Meet our team.
If you had a bad experience somewhere else, we’re happy to offer second opinions and get you the care you need.
You should never have to choose between looking good and breathing well. Our experts will set realistic expectations of what you can achieve with your existing anatomy and how to reach your goals safely and effectively.
Maybe you know what you want or maybe you need some guidance. We’ll help you discover and decide exactly what you’d like to achieve using photos and special software. We’ll show you many options and possibilities to help you understand what you can realistically expect to look and feel like after surgery.
Comfort and convenience:
We do most of our procedures at conveniently located surgery centers. Often, you can receive rhinoplasty nearby and be home the same day.
Cleveland Clinic is a trusted healthcare leader. We're recognized in the U.S. and throughout the world for our expertise and care.
Types of Rhinoplasty Available at Cleveland Clinic
Rhinoplasty can enhance your appearance (cosmetic rhinoplasty), help you breathe better (functional rhinoplasty) or both. We can also revise a procedure you had done somewhere else if you’re unhappy with the results.
Cosmetic rhinoplasty changes the appearance of your nose. It can:
- Adjust the shape of your nose to create symmetry or balance.
- Change your nose’s tip if it’s enlarged, bulbous, droopy, upturned or hooked.
- Get rid of bumps or dips on the bridge of your nose.
- Make your nose smaller or bigger.
- Reshape your nostrils or adjust their size or position.
Difficulty breathing. Sleepless nights. Not being able to join in on activities you love. Sometimes nasal problems can make all of those things part of your life. If you’ve tried medical treatments and nothing has worked, rhinoplasty might be an option for you.
Functional rhinoplasty can return your nose to its original appearance and restore your breathing if you have:
- Breathing problems caused by or made worse by allergies.
- Deviated septum.
- Injury, like a broken nose or facial fractures.
- Nasal birth defect.
- Sleep apnea.
- Surgery to remove cancer.
Rhinoplasty Consultation at Cleveland Clinic
If you’re thinking about changing your nose, the first thing you’ll do is meet with one of our expert surgeons for a consultation. At this appointment, we’ll:
- Talk to you about your goals — whether it’s how you look, breathe or both.
- Do a physical exam, focusing on your nose and face.
- Take pictures of your face and nose from several angles. Then, using special software, we’ll show you a series of small changes and possible outcomes.
- Review your medical history, including any previous surgeries and current health conditions, allergies or medications.
- Recommend a surgical plan based on your overall health, existing anatomy and personal goals.
Rhinoplasty is a big decision. We encourage you to ask questions at your consultation. Then, take as much time as you need to talk to your loved ones and consider your options. You can come back anytime to ask more questions. We want you to feel comfortable and confident about your decision.
Providers Who Perform Rhinoplasty
LocationsWe offer treatment for Rhinoplasty at the following locations in Northeast Ohio and Florida.
What to Expect When You Have Rhinoplasty at Cleveland Clinic
Every rhinoplasty is unique — and personal. Our surgeons are here to guide you every step of the way as you make decisions, plan for surgery and recover. They will use sophisticated 2D and 3D software to demonstrate on your own face the possible outcomes. This can help you when you’re thinking about your goals for this procedure.
Planning for your rhinoplasty
If you decide to have rhinoplasty, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know. For example, we may switch the medications you’re taking or some of the products you’re using. And we’ll help you prep for your recovery.
Before your procedure, we’ll make sure that you’re healthy enough for surgery with a physical exam and blood tests. One of our highly skilled anesthesiologists will meet with you and decide which anesthesia is safest and most effective for you. If needed, we’ll use nasal endoscopy to look inside your nasal cavity. This helps us plan for your surgery.
On the day of your procedure, the surgical team will:
- Put you to sleep with anesthesia, so you don’t feel any pain during surgery.
- Make one or more cuts (incisions).
- Use special tools to reshape cartilage and bone, following your pre-surgery plan.
- Adjust the plan as needed if your cartilage and bone aren’t structured the way we expected.
- Close all incisions and bandage where needed.
- Bring you to a recovery room, where you’ll wake up from the anesthesia.
Most of the time, you’ll go home the same day you have surgery. Our team will give you detailed instructions about changing your bandages and how to manage pain. We’ll also explain ways to prevent infection, bleeding and scarring. And we’re always available if you have questions or concerns — even after you head home.
Shortly after surgery, you’ll have a check-up with your surgeon to make sure you’re healing well. How long it takes to recover from rhinoplasty varies from person to person, but here’s what we tell people they can typically expect:
- Week 1: Plan to miss work, school and other commitments. Your nose and surrounding areas will be swollen and sore. After a week or two, you may return to social events without having to worry about other people noticing that you’re swollen.
- Weeks 2 to 4: You can return to social activities if you choose. Bruising will gradually go away in the first two weeks. About 75% of the swelling will be gone at the end of this time, and you will be able to return to all of your normal activities.
- 12 to 18 months after surgery: The last of the swelling will slowly resolve, and you’ll see your final result.
Taking the Next Step
Rhinoplasty can change your look and your life. You might be excited, nervous, scared or all of those things combined. Our providers take the time to talk you through the uncertainties and answer all of your questions. We want to help you find the best option so you can look and feel your absolute best.
Getting an appointment with Cleveland Clinic’s rhinoplasty team is easy. We’re here to help you get the care you need.
Billing & Insurance
Manage your Cleveland Clinic account. Find billing information and financial assistance, plus FAQs.
Securely access your personal health information at any time, day or night.