Rhinoplasty (Nose Reshaping)
What is a rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty is a type of plastic surgery (sometimes called cosmetic surgery) that changes your nose’s shape and size. Some people have rhinoplasty to improve how their nose and face look. Others choose rhinoplasty to improve breathing and nasal function. Doctors called plastic surgeons perform this procedure, which is also called a "nose job.
Who needs rhinoplasty?
People may get rhinoplasty to:
- Correct a birth defect.
- Improve overall appearance.
- Open blocked nasal passages caused by damage to the septum, the bone and cartilage that separates the nostrils (deviated septum).
- Repair a facial fracture, such as a broken nose.
- Restore breathing function after cancer treatments, traumatic injuries or burns.
What does rhinoplasty do?
Rhinoplasty reshapes your nose. The procedure can:
- Correct a nose that looks bulbous, upturned, hooked or droopy.
- Fix nostrils that are too wide, too large or turn upward.
- Get rid of noticeable dips or bumps on the bridge of the nose.
- Make a nose smaller or bigger to create facial balance.
- Open blocked nasal passages.
What are the types of rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty types include:
- Cosmetic rhinoplasty improves the appearance of the nose and face.
- Functional rhinoplasty restores nasal form and function after cancer treatments or traumatic injuries. This type of reconstructive surgery also corrects birth defects and deviated septums.
- Nonsurgical injection rhinoplasty uses dermal fillers or botulinum toxin (Botox®) injections to temporarily fill a dip in the nose, lift a droopy nasal tip or correct a small bump.
How common is rhinoplasty?
More than 157,000 women and close to 50,000 men had rhinoplasty in 2019. It’s the most popular cosmetic surgery among men and the fourth most common cosmetic surgery overall.
Who is a candidate for rhinoplasty?
To be considered for rhinoplasty, you should:
- Be finished growing and in good physical health.
- Not smoke.
- Understand the limitations of nose surgery (it can’t give you the perfect appearance).
- Want the procedure for your own reasons, not because someone else thinks you’d look better.