Why Do a Virtual Visit?
Virtual visits let you see a healthcare provider from anywhere at any time, day or night, with a wide range of benefits:
- You can talk to a healthcare provider face-to-face when you have a concern.
- It’s quick and convenient to get the diagnosis or treatment you need for a variety of conditions.
- It can prevent a trip to urgent care or the ER.
- You can even get a prescription sent to your pharmacy, when available.
- A family member caregiver or translator can join you.
- Scheduled virtual visits allow you to see your provider for a follow-up visit online, instead of making another trip to the doctor.
What Is the Difference Between an On-Demand Visit and a Scheduled Visit?
On-Demand Visit: You don’t need an appointment. You’ll be connected to a provider who can help you with any number of common healthcare concerns. On-demand virtual visits are available for patients age 2 and up, although patients 17 and under must be accompanied by an adult during their visit. Commonly treated conditions include:
- Allergies (seasonal).
- Back strains and sprains*.
- Common cold.
- COVID-19 screening.
- Flu (influenza).
- Minor burns or lacerations.
- Painful urination (dysuria)**.
- Pink eye (conjunctivitis).
- Sinus infections (acute sinusitis).
- Upper respiratory illness.
- UTIs (urinary tract infections)**.
- Yeast infections**.
* Adults only.
** Adults assigned female at birth only.
Scheduled Visit: This is an appointment with your primary care physician or specialist that’s scheduled in advance — like a regular in-person appointment. These are usually follow-up visits. But scheduled visits are also used before and after surgery, for pregnancy and infant well-checks, pre-visit information sessions, medication reviews, genetic counseling, infectious disease visits before traveling and more.
As part of our ongoing commitment to bring you the most personalized experience, we also offer virtual primary care visits. They’re a convenient way to get consistent, continuing care with a team of healthcare providers that know you and your long-term healthcare needs. You’ll find appointment options on Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Availability varies, but you can often schedule a virtual primary care appointment as soon as the next day.
Book your virtual primary care visit today:
- Use MyClevelandClinic® from your smartphone or computer to log into your MyChart account.
- On your desktop? You can click Schedule an Appointment from your menu. Then select Virtual Primary Care from your options.
- Using your smartphone? You can click on Appointments on your homepage. Then pick Schedule an Appointment. Finally, select Virtual Primary Care from your options.
Are virtual visits covered by insurance?
Some insurance companies will cover virtual visits. It is best to confirm your benefits with your insurance company prior to your visit. Cleveland Clinic will bill your insurance first, and you will only be responsible for any remaining charges.
Please note that facility fees apply to virtual visits. Virtual visit facility fees support the necessary digital health technology and healthcare services of a provider, which would otherwise be delivered in an outpatient setting. The way your insurance covers facility and/or treatment room charges will be different based on whether you have insurance through your employer, another insurance company or if you are covered by Medicare.
Virtual visits are still an option for you, even if your insurance company does not cover them.
How much does it cost?
If the visit is covered by your insurance, there may be a copay which is determined by your plan. Before your appointment, it is best to check with your insurance company to see if virtual visits are covered. Even if your insurance plan does not cover virtual visits, they may still be an option for you. The cost of a virtual visit starts at $65.
Can someone else join?
Yes, a family member, caregiver or translator can participate in your virtual visit.
What equipment do I need to start a virtual visit?
To begin your virtual visit, you will need a mobile phone or internet-connected tablet or computer.
For on-demand virtual visits: Open the MyClevelandClinic app or log into the MyChart website and select on-demand virtual visits and follow the log-in instructions.
For scheduled virtual visits: Complete these steps to prepare for your visit.
How can I get help if I have issues before or during my virtual visit?
For on-demand virtual visits: If you encounter technical difficulties during your on-demand visit, you can reach us any time at 1.855.786.3899 (toll-free).
For scheduled virtual visits: If you need technical support for your upcoming scheduled virtual visit, you can reach us any time at 1.866.915.3383 (toll-free).
What if I have already signed up for Cleveland Clinic Express Care® Online?
If you have used the Express Care Online app before, you will need to download the MyClevelandClinic app and complete a one-time enrollment prior to completing a virtual visit.