Wherever you are in your weight management journey, our patient navigators can help guide you to a program that will best fit your needs.Contact a Patient Navigator
Bariatric & Metabolic Institute
At Cleveland Clinic's Bariatric & Metabolic Institute, our team of surgeons, physicians, anesthesiologists, psychologists, counselors, dietitians and specialized nurses focuses on your long-term weight loss success. With help from physicians in a variety of specialties, our doctors take into account your medical issues when determining the weight loss plan that’s right for you.
If you're significantly overweight and want to make a lifestyle change, you may be a candidate for bariatric surgery at Cleveland Clinic.
- Cleveland Clinic's Bariatric Surgery Program performs more than 95 percent of all procedures with minimally invasive (laparoscopic) techniques, improving our patients' healing and recovery time.
- Accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery accreditation and quality improvement program
- Named a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery and the Surgical Review Corporation.
- Each patient is assigned a patient navigator, who serve as a single point of contact throughout your weight loss surgery journey, offering encouragement and support every step of the way.
- We offer ongoing support groups and classes that address preparing for surgery, binge eating, reducing the risk of substance abuse, life after surgery and other issues.
Medical (Non-surgical) Weight Loss Options
For patients who choose not to undergo surgery, or for those who are not eligible, we offer medical management options.
- Dietitians review each patient’s food and exercise history and psychologists address issues such as depression, eating disorders and smoking and other addictions. Exercise physiologists also can create individualized exercise programs, including stress testing. Medication, such as appetite suppressants, can be prescribed to help with weight loss.
- For more information about non-surgical weight loss options from Cleveland Clinic's Bariatric & Metabolic Institute, please call 216.445.2224.
Shared Medical Appointment
- Medical Weight Management
Endocrinology & Metabolism Institute
Endocrinology and Metabolic Institute’s Obesity and Medical Weight Loss Center is a non-surgical weight loss and medical weight management program committed to improving medical conditions associated with obesity, such as type 2 diabetes and helping people achieve and maintain weight loss success. We recognize the challenges associated with being obese and understand the consequences and how obesity affects the body. We draw on our research, knowledge and compassion to create a plan that is suited to meet each person’s needs. Our goal is to individualize medical care, improve health outcomes and medical conditions such as:
- High blood pressure
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Pre-surgical weight loss
- Liver disease
- Low exercise capacity and shortness of breath
- Various medical conditions related to obesity
Obesity and Medical Weight Loss Center
The program starts with a New Patient Consult followed by:
- Individual Follow up or Shared Medical Appointments
- Weight loss pharmacotherapy options are discussed
- Nutrition Support (visit with Dietitian)
- Mediterranean diet
- Meal replacement
- Protein sparing modified diet or ketogenic diet
- Exercise stress testing if necessary
- Exercise prescription and supervised exercise training (Lyndhurst Exercise Center) – visit with Exercise physiologist
- Referrals to specialists such as Behavioral Health and Sleep Medicine
On-Demand virtual visits with Diabetes Educators are available now through Cleveland Clinic Express Care® Online for select patients using their smartphone or computer. Ask your doctor if virtual visits are right for you. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 216.444.3672.
Center for Functional Medicine
Functional Medicine is a personalized, systems-oriented model that empowers patients and practitioners to achieve the highest expression of health by working together to address the underlying causes of diseases. By changing the disease-centered focus of medical practice to a patient-centered approach, our team is able to support you in making the necessary behavioral, dietary and lifestyle changes to shift your health from illness to well-being. Call 216.445.6900 today to schedule an appointment!
Counseling & Consultations
Shared Medical Appointments
- Functioning for Life (Weight Management)
- A ten-week series focused on providing the tools necessary to achieve sustainable lifestyle and behavioral change. The program introduces patients to the functional medicine approach and provides the necessary laboratory testing, health information and dietary guidance needed to achieve optimal wellness.
- Functional Ketogenics
- The ketogenic diet is a low carbohydrate diet based on vegetables, healthy fats and protein. Without sufficient carbohydrates your body shifts from burning sugar (glucose) for energy to burning stored body fat. This ten-week program provides you with the tools and medical management for integrating the diet into your routine.
Select patients can now follow up with their functional medicine providers online from their home or office through the Cleveland Clinic Express Care® Online tool. This service allows patients a fast, secure and easy way to receive care from their healthcare team in a live virtual visit using a smartphone, tablet or computer. To schedule your virtual follow up, call our office 216.445.6900.
Heart, Vascular & Thoracic Institute
Cleveland Clinic's Heart, Vascular & Thoracic Institute offers programs and clinics within their Preventive Cardiology & Rehabilitation Section geared towards helping you get heart healthy again – through weight management, nutrition, exercise and knowing your risk factors.
- Cardiac Rehab Exercise Prescription
- Counseling with Preventive Cardiology Registered Dietitian (One-on-one Session)
Center for Human Nutrition
Cleveland Clinic's Center for Human Nutrition is the largest multidisciplinary nutrition team in the country. Our Registered Dietitians are nutrition experts and leaders in the field of dietetics.
We provide comprehensive nutrition care to individuals with various needs including surgical and non-surgical weight loss or management of chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and digestive diseases, among many others. Additionally, the Center is involved with a multitude of programs to promote health and wellness.
Please call 216.444.3046 to schedule an appointment or to receive more information. Our services are offered at several areas of Cleveland Clinic's Main Campus and the following regional hospitals and family health centers: Avon - Richard E. Jacobs Health Center, Independence Family Health Center, Lorain Family Health and Surgery Center, Lutheran Hospital, Medina Medical Office Building, Solon Family Health Center, South Pointe Hospital, Strongsville Family Health and Surgery Center, Twinsburg Family Health and Surgery Center, Willoughby Hills Family Health Center, and Wooster Family Health and Surgery Center.
The Nutrition Therapy program provides an opportunity to work with a Registered Dietitian in one-on-one appointments, Shared Nutrition Appointments, Shared Medical Appointments and Virtual Visits.
- During One-on-one Counseling with a Registered Dietitian, a dietitian will create an individualized nutrition plan based on your personal goals and medical needs.
- Shared Nutrition Appointments offer a strong focus on education and support for two or more patients with the same diagnosis or diet education needs.
- Shared Medical Appointments are physician led groups supported by a dietitian to provide nutrition education, diet plans and guidance toward lifestyle changes.
- Virtual Visits with a Registered Dietitian offer the benefits of one-on-one counseling with the convenience of a session via your smart device from anywhere in Ohio.
- You can also receive Sports Nutrition Counseling with a Registered Dietitian at the Cleveland Clinic Sports Health Center To learn more, please contact Kate Patton, MEd, RD, CSSD, LD by phone at 216.518.3475.
- Additionally, you can sign up for a Breast Cancer Survivor Group Nutrition Class. To get more information or to sign up for this support group, please contact please contact Jean Ellsworth-Wolk, CNS by phone at 216.476.0683.
For Cleveland Clinic Employees
The Nutrition Therapy program also offers Eat Well Group Nutrition Classes. This is a series of weekly classes offering comprehensive information and application techniques that promote lasting behavior change to support weight loss efforts. This program is available to CC EHP participants with a BMI >27 only.
- For more information on offerings, please email [email protected].
Center for Integrative & Lifestyle Medicine
Our team of Cleveland Clinic experts at the Center for Integrative & Lifestyle Medicine guide you through dietary and lifestyle changes. Our integrative specialists will explain how alternative therapies can complement your lifestyle for optimal wellness. Please call 216.448.4325 (HEAL) to schedule an appointment.
Counseling & Consultations
- Integrative Medicine Consults (One-on-one Session)
- Lifestyle Medicine Consults (One-on-one Session)
- Nutrition Counseling with a Registered Dietitian (One-on-one Session)
- Culinary Medicine Consultation (One-on-one Session)
Shared Medical Appointments
- Eating Well for Optimal Health
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol/high triglycerides)
- Pre-diabetes (impaired fasting glucose)
- Type 2 diabetes
- Weight Management & Healthy Living
- Nutrigenomix (One-on-one Session)
- The Nutrigenomix test is a 45-gene test that assesses how your genes impact your diet, and includes a full analysis of your diet from our nutrition experts.
- Personal Fitness Program
- Our trainers will help patients create a customized fitness plan based on schedule, budget and physical abilities. Get an initial consultation followed by personal training sessions.
- Group or Private Therapeutic Yoga
- Classes are designed so that anyone, no matter age, physical ability or experience level can participate and enjoy the many benefits that yoga offers. No previous experience is required.
Ob/Gyn & Women's Health Institute
Cleveland Clinic's Women's Weight Management Program is designed specifically for women who require weight management for the prevention and/or reversal of weight-related disease states. Patients have the option of going through the program using virtual shared medical appointments or going through the program using more traditional in-office visits.
Shared Medical Appointments
- BeWell Moms – Maternal Weight Management Program
Cleveland Clinic Children’s Healthy Living Programs are designed to help parents keep their kids healthy with information from pediatric specialists, community and school based programs, as well as guidance for how to help make healthy choices at meal time.