The following instructions will help you know what to expect in the days following surgery. Do not, however, hesitate to call if you have any questions or concerns.
- After surgery your child should rest at home for several days. Light activities may be resumed when your child feels up to it. Strenuous physical activity is discouraged for 1 week. This includes gym class, swimming, and recess. Your child may return to school when comfortable. Some children feel better in just a few days and some children take as many as 7 days to recover.
- Unrestricted. Resume normal diet as tolerated.
- For the first several days (occasionally up to 7 days) following surgery, pain in the throat is to be expected. This can usually be controlled with liquid acetaminophen (Tylenol®) or ibuprofen (Advil®, Motrin®). Pain is often worse at night and may prompt the need for additional pain medication.
- Occasionally, a stiff neck may also occur. Please call if it becomes excessively painful or if your child is unable to move his/her neck.
- A low-grade fever (101 degrees or less) following surgery may occur and should be treated with acetaminophen. Follow the directions on the bottle. If the fever persists (more than 2 days) or is greater than 102 degrees, call our office.
- Bad breath can be expected for approximately 1 week following surgery.
- Postoperative bleeding is unusual, but may occur 5 to 14 days after surgery. Most bleeding is minor and you may only see a small amount of blood on the tongue. If blood is noticed, watch for spitting, coughing, or vomiting of blood. If blood is noticed, call immediately or if severe go directly to the emergency department. For brisk bleeding call 911.
- Please call the office to schedule an appointment so that your child can be seen approximately 4 weeks after surgery.
Please do not hesitate to call our office with any questions or concerns.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy