How do I start a virtual visit?
You don’t need an appointment. Just a connection.
When you need to find care, let us bring a healthcare provider to you. From your mobile device or computer, it’s never been easier for you and your family to instantly access world class care at home or work. For nonemergency concerns, patients ages 2 and older can get a diagnosis or prescription online from a healthcare provider in about a 10-minute virtual visit. Our Express Care Online service allows you to choose between an on demand visit right away or to schedule a virtual follow-up visit for a later date. If you encounter any technical difficulties during your Express Care Online virtual visit please call 1.866.569.7530 (US toll free), any time 24/7.
What are the Benefits of Virtual Visits?
- Fast and Convenient: See a doctor by live video and get a diagnosis from your home or work instead of driving to a medical office. When appropriate, you also can get a prescription to the pharmacy of your choice.
- Affordable: The cost of a virtual visit is less than the normal cost of an urgent care or emergency room.
- Secure: Your personal health information is safe and sound during your virtual visit.
Frequently Asked Questions
When do I use this service?
- I feel like I should probably see a doctor, but can’t really fit it into my over-booked schedule.
- I'm flying tomorrow and can't get out of work.
- It's difficult for me to get a doctor's appointment.
- I'm not sure if I should go to the ER or not.
- My doctor’s office is closed and I don’t want to go to an urgent care clinic or hospital.
- I just moved and don’t know any doctors in my area.
- I just need a second opinion.
- I’m between jobs and have no coverage.
- I have a question about a loved-one’s health and would like some advice.
Commonly treated conditions:
- Allergies (Seasonal)
- Asthma (For Adults Only)
- Back Strains and Sprains (For Adults Only)
- Bronchitis (For Adults Only)
- Conjunctivitis (Pink Eye)
- Common Cold
- Influenza (Flu)
- Minor Burns or Lacerations
- Painful Urination (For Adults Only)
- Sinus Infections
- Upper Respiratory Illness
- Urinary Tract Infections (For Adults Only)
- Yeast Infections (For Adults Only)
Can they diagnose my condition?
Yes, if medically appropriate. The healthcare provider will decide based on what he or she learns during your consultation if a diagnosis is possible, or if you need further examination (e.g. tests, a physical exam, another specialty visit) just like an in-office visit.
Can they write me a prescription?
Yes, if medically appropriate, and allowed in your state. Prescription writing is at the healthcare provider's discretion. A consultation is not a guarantee of prescription.
What happens during an actual virtual visit?
The first time you use a virtual visit provider you will need to set up an account with Cleveland Clinic Express Care Online. You will need to complete the patient registration process to gather medical history, pharmacy preference, primary care physician contact information, insurance information and payment information.
Each time you have a virtual visit, you will be asked some brief medical questions, including questions about your current medical concern. If appropriate, you will then be connected using secure live audio and video technology to a doctor licensed to deliver care in the state that you are in at the time of your visit. You and the doctor will discuss your medical issue, and if appropriate, the doctor may write a prescription* for you.
*Prescription services may not be available in all states.
What information will I need to provide as part of the virtual visit registration?
To register, you will need:
- Email address
- State in which you live
- Date of birth
- Current phone number
How do I pay for the virtual visit?
If your insurance place does not cover the cost of the virtual visit, you will be required to pay the $55 fee by a valid credit card, prior to the start of the visit. The cost of specialty services can be discussed with your provider’s office.
Can I schedule an appointment through Express Care Online for a scheduled virtual follow up visit?
No. Please call your providers office to schedule follow up visits.
How can I obtain a receipt for my virtual visit?
Receipts can be accessed from the Express Care Online portal under your account information, or through MyChart. If more detail is needed to submit a claim to your insurance company, please call 866.621.6385 and speak to a customer service representative.
Are additional languages (besides English) supported by virtual visit provider groups?
Yes, but only for providers that note they can speak other languages.
Can I use Express Care Online when I travel outside the United States?
No, the patient must be within the United States for their visit.
Can patients who live outside the United State use Express Care Online?
Yes, but only if they are in the United States during the time of their visit, or if they are seen in a Cleveland Clinic facility outside the U.S.