Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute Resource Nurse
For general questions about your cardiovascular or thoracic condition, symptoms, treatment, surgery or tests. Experienced cardiovascular registered nurses are available to answer your questions.
Cleveland Clinic eNewsletters
Sign up now to receive email updates from the Sydell and Arnold Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute
Cleveland Clinic Heart Care at Home
Cleveland Clinic Heart Care at Home is a program that blends innovative telehealth monitoring technology and, if appropriate, home healthcare services to support patients following hospitalization for heart disease or heart surgery. Heart Care at Home monitors your progress daily and provides the kind of personal support that will allow you to recover successfully in the comfort of your own home. For more information, visit their site or call 216.444.HOME (4663) or toll free 800.263.0403.
Nutrition Programs and Services
The Preventive Cardiology and Rehabilitation Nutrition Program provides a wide range of nutrition services led by experienced and specialized registered dietitians. Individual counseling and a group weight-management program are available. Call 800.223.2273 ext. 4-9353 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
MyConsult® Remote Nutrition Counseling Service from Cleveland Clinic Secure Online Services is a comprehensive nutrition program that helps you adopt healthy diet and lifestyle patterns that can positively impact your health.
Books for Patients & Families
Cleveland Clinic has ranked number one in cardiac care in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for 17 years in a row. Here are books you may find helpful from our experts:
- by Marc Gillinov, MD and Steven Nissen, MD
- © January 31, 2012, Crown Publishing Group
- Heart 411 is the definitive guide to heart health, written by two of America's most respected doctors at Cleveland Clinic, the #1 hospital for heart health in America.
- by Curtis Rimmerman, MD
- © January 1, 2008, Cleveland Clinic Press
- Tips to make the time you spend with your cardiologist more productive
- by Curtis Rimmerman, MD
- © May 5, 2009, Kaplan Publishing
- Information for patients and families on preventing a heart attack, and how to survive and recover after one. Includes stories of people who have survived a heart attack and improved their health.
Cleveland Clinic Guide to Heart Failure*
- by Randall Starling, MD
- © June2, 2009, Kaplan Publishing
- Advice for patients to survive heart failure and enjoy a good quality of life. Includes information on the diagnosis and treatment of heart failure, as well as personal stories by those who are living well with this condition.
- by Robert Hobbs, MD
- © 2011, Belvoir Media Group. Norwalk, CT
- An informative report written to help you protect yourself against the most frequent cause of hospitalization of those 65 or older. You will learn what doctors now know about reducing the risk factors of heart failure, how to assess the "vital" signs of danger and what procedures are effectively decreasing mortality and, in some cases, serving as a bridge to recovery.
- by Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, Bonnie Sanders Polin, Ph.D., Frances Towner Giedt, with forward by Steven Nissen, MD
- © 2007 Broadway Books
- A comprehensive cardiovascular prevention nutrition guide from the Cleveland Clinic Heart and Vascular Institute combined with 150 tasty recipes.
- Available in bookstores or online from Randomhouse.com, BN.com or Amazon.com
- by Robert Hobbs, MD
- © 2014, Belvoir Media Group. Norwalk, CT
* these links will open a new browser window
Exercise & Therapy Programs
Exercise and Fitness Programs
Individual exercise prescriptions and a complete cardiac rehabilitation program are provided by Preventive Cardiology and Rehabilitation. Your doctor can provide a referral, or call 216.444.9353 or 800.223.2273 ext. 4-9353 for an appointment.
The Cleveland Clinic Fitness Center is available to visitors and provides fitness equipment, an indoor and outdoor track and swimming pool. Daily, weekly, and monthly passes are available. Call 216.444.8765 or 800.223.2273 ext. 4-8765. Fitness Center Hours are M-F, 5 a.m. - 8 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Pool closes one hour earlier on most days.
Healing Services Touch Therapies Program
The Healing Services Team includes contributions from the Office of Patient Experience Spiritual Care Department and the Touch Therapy Team.
Massage therapy can help reduce muscle tension, relieve stress, and soothe pain. A light, 10-minute complimentary massage (with your physician's approval) can assist the patient's well being during healing.
Healing Touch and Reiki are relaxing, nurturing energy therapies where gentle touch assists in balancing physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well-being to promote a deep sense of relaxation and healing.
Complimentary light massage therapy, Reiki and Healing Touch therapies are offered to patients in 10 minute sessions. There is an additional fee of $1 per minute for longer sessions. For family members and visitors, massage therapy or Reiki sessions (or a combination of both) are available for $1 a minute. To schedule these therapies or for more information, please call 216.445.9543.
Healing and Wellness Suite, located on the 5th floor of the Miller Family Pavilion, is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. All Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute patients and family members are welcome use this room to take a quiet break from the daily hospital routine.
Guided imagery is the process of focusing on or imagining positive thoughts and feelings to induce peace, calm, strength and control. Thoracic and cardiovascular surgery patients receive a free guided imagery CD program and are encouraged to listen to it before and after surgery to promote relaxation and pain relief. In addition, programs are available online for downloading into your mp3 player - or you can enjoy these programs on the CC inpatient TV relaxation channel. Additional guided imagery programs are available for sale in the Gift Shop. More information
Music therapy: Under the supervision of a board-certified music therapist, music therapy combines music and therapeutic techniques and aids in the physiological, psychological and emotional well-being of the individual during treatment of an illness. For more information about music therapy, contact the Music Therapy Coordinator in the Cleveland Clinic Arts & Medicine Institute at 216.445.5083.
Art therapy utilizes art media and the creative process to help patients in their healing and recovery. Art therapy can help patients decrease anxiety, manage stress, and deal with emotional issues. For more information about art therapy, please call the Cleveland Clinic Arts & Medicine Institute at 216.445.5083.
Cleveland Museum of Art distance learning program, featuring the world-renowned Cleveland Museum of Art Collection, sponsored by The Arts & Medicine Institute. The program will be held on the first and third Tuesdays of every month. Patients, families and employees will have an opportunity to participate in dynamic discussions with presenters from the Cleveland Museum of Art via videoconferencing. This program is supported by a generous gift from Agnes Gund to the Arts & Medicine Institute. 2 p.m. - 3 p.m. in Room J3-105. Ask for directions.
Patient & Family Education
Written materials: All Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute patients receive comprehensive patient education materials to explain their disease, tests and procedures, medications and treatments. If you need more information during your visit at the Cleveland Clinic, please ask your doctor or nurse. You may also contact the Health Information Library at 216.444.3771 or 800.223.2273 ext. 4-3771. Get health information in multiple languages (National Library of Medicine)
Closed circuit TV Video Program: The Miller Family Heart& Vascular Institute offers a variety of health education programs on your hospital TV to help during your recovery. For a complete directory of programs, tune in to Channel 40. Dial ext. 5-1616 to access the Video on Demand System from your hospital phone.
Center for Consumer Health Information: located at the Lyndhurst Campus, 1950 Richmond Road TR401, Lyndhurst, Ohio 44124. The Center is staffed by Health Educators from the Center for Consumer Health Information and Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute Resource Nurses. Here you will find:
- A library of reference books, journals, newsletters, magazines, videos, and audio media to use in the Center.
- Access to video education on tests, procedures, healthy lifestyles and disease management.
- Public computers available to research health information, access MyChart and other health-related websites.
- Classes for patients and caregivers within dedicated classrooms.
- Information on Cleveland Clinic resources, services and educational opportunities.
Health educators are available to assist visitors in researching credible health information.
The resources provided by the Center for Consumer Health Information are available to all Cleveland Clinic patients and visitors.
Foreign Language materials: Global Patient Services assists patients from around the globe who come to Cleveland Clinic for care.A representative can assist you with travel arrangements and lodging, as well as interpreter services during your stay. Global Patient Services and the Health Information have some materials translated into other languages, including Spanish and Arabic. The National Library of Medicine Medline Plus also offers patient education materials in many languages.