Requirements for All Visiting Students
- Must be a final-year medical student when you are scheduled to participate in the rotation. This means all your core / required clerkship rotations are complete at the time of the clinical elective.
- Medical School Approval - Letter of good standing from the dean’s office of your medical school indicating you are in the final year, in good academic standing and meet all requirements to complete an elective for academic credit. Letter must state this clinical experience is being used as part of your medical education. If your school needs to send this directly, please upload a document stating so.
- Malpractice Insurance - Proof must be submitted. Most medical schools will provide a certificate of insurance. If your school does not provide malpractice insurance for you on "away" electives, please provide proof of your own insurance. You will be able to apply without this as we understand dates could change, but note that proof of malpractice insurance must be received prior to your start date or your rotation will be cancelled. If you are waiting for insurance upon acceptance, please upload a document on the application stating so.
- Health Insurance - Proof of health insurance must be provided with the application form. Cleveland Clinic does not provide health insurance to visiting students. You can apply without this as we understand dates could change, but note that proof of health insurance must be received prior to your start date or your rotation will be cancelled. If you are waiting for insurance upon acceptance, please upload a document on the application stating so.
- Immunizations - Cleveland Clinic is STRONGLY recommending the COVID-19 Vaccine at this time. Please note some depts. may require (such as Pediatric Hematology/Oncology).
You need to provide proof of the following immunizations (proof of serology acceptable) along with the application form (in English):
- Tdap Vaccination/Td Booster: Booster within the last ten years is required of all individuals and documentation of Tdap during lifetime
- Polio: Primary series; date of last booster (or proof of serology) recommended but only required for international students
- TB Status: QuantiFERON (IGRA) test preferred or Previous 2-step Mantoux PPD with subsequent annual 1-step PPD screenings (PPD must be within one year of rotation dates). International students must have IGRA or current 2 Step TB (2 step means the second PPD test is administered 7-21 days after the initial PPD test) - within one year of rotation dates
- Varicella (chickenpox): Proof of positive titer. Individuals who are antibody negative to Varicella-Zoster (VZV) are required to be re-vaccinated except if medically contraindicated
- MMR: Proof of positive titer. Individuals who are antibody negative to Rubella, Rubeola, Mumps are required to be re-vaccinated except if medically contraindicated
- Hepatitis B: Proof of positive titer. Individuals who are antibody negative to are required to be re-vaccinated except if medically contraindicated
- Annual flu vaccine (if rotating October through April)
- You may use the AAMC Standardized Immunization Form to help with items required, the form must be signed by school or healthcare official. You will still need to send proof of polio along with this form.
Additional Requirements for International Students
- Fee - $400 application processing fee is required from all international visiting students applying for electives. The fee is NON-REFUNDABLE and is not dependent on receiving or accepting an offer. You may apply for up to two electives ($800 maximum fee).
- Demonstrated proficiency in written and spoken English (TOEFL exam) - Must score high in reading and listening skills and good in speaking and writing skills This is required and cannot be waived.
- B1/B2 Visa - Type B1 - Can be sent after acceptance. Please upload a word document during the application indicating you acknowledge this requirement and will send proof if you are accepted.
- Background Check - You are required to provide a copy of a criminal background check completed within one year of the requested rotation. The check must be completed by a federal or local agency and include an authorized deputy/registrar signature from that agency.
Medical students who do not meet the prerequisites to apply for an elective may apply as an observer. Observers do not receive academic credit for the rotation. Apply through the Center for International Medical Education or email [email protected].