Requirements for All Visiting Students
- Must be a final-year medical student when you are scheduled to participate in the rotation. This means all your core / required rotations are complete at the time of the clinical elective.
- Medical School Approval - Letter of good standing from the dean’s office of your medical school indicating you are in the final year, in good academic standing and meet all requirements to complete an elective for academic credit. Letter must state this clinical experience is being used as part of your medical education. If your school needs to send this directly, please upload a document stating so.
- Malpractice Insurance - Proof must be submitted. Most medical schools will provide a certificate of insurance. If your school does not provide malpractice insurance for you for "away" electives, please provide proof of your own insurance. You will be able to apply without this as we understand dates could change, but note that proof of malpractice insurance must be received prior to your start date or your rotation will be cancelled. If you are waiting for insurance acceptance, please upload a document on the application stating so.
- Health Insurance - Proof of health insurance must be provided with the application form. Cleveland Clinic does not provide health insurance to visiting students. You can apply without this as we understand dates could change, but note that proof of health insurance must be received prior to your start date or your rotation will be cancelled. If you are waiting for insurance acceptance, please upload a document on the application stating so.
- Immunizations - You need to provide proof of the following immunizations (proof of serology acceptable) along with the application form (in English):
- Td: Preferably TDaP within 10 years
- Polio: Primary series; date of last booster (or proof of serology) recommended but only required for international students
- TB Status: QuantiFERON (IGRA) test preferred or PPD within one year of rotation dates. International students must have IGRA or 2 Step TB (2 step means the second PPD test is administered 7-21 days after the initial PPD test) - within one year of rotation dates
- Varicella (chickenpox): Proof of two vaccines (or proof of titer)
- MMR: Dose #1 at 12 months or later and before five years; dose #2 at five years or later (or proof of serology)
- Hepatitis B: Three vaccines at specified intervals (or proof of serology)
- Annual flu vaccine (if rotating November through April)
- You may use the AAMC Standardized Immunization Form to help with items required, the form must be signed by school or healthcare official. You will still need to send proof of polio along with this form.
Additional Requirements for International Students
- Fee - $400 application processing fee is required from all international visiting students applying for electives. The fee is NON-REFUNDABLE and is not dependent on receiving or accepting an offer. You may apply for up to two electives ($800 maximum fee).
- Passing score on the USMLE Step I - This exam is not waived and is required for all students. A minimum score of 220 for all rotations and 240 for surgical rotations is required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in written and spoken English (TOEFL exam) - Must score high in reading and listening skills and good in speaking and writing skills This is required and cannot be waived.
- B1/B2 Visa - Type B1 - Can be sent after acceptance. Upload the document (self-declaration) on application indicating you acknowledge this and will send if you are accepted.
- Background Check - You are required to provide a copy of a criminal background check completed within one year of the requested rotation. The check must be completed by a federal or local agency and include an authorized deputy/registrar signature from that agency.
Medical students who do not meet the prerequisites to apply for an elective may apply as an observer. Observers do not receive academic credit for the rotation. Apply through the Center for International Medical Education or email CIME@ccf.org.