Welcome To Cleveland Clinic
All students are required to attend an administrative orientation on the first day of their scheduled rotation. The "when and where to report" information will be shared at this time, unless directed by the department directly.
Orientation is generally scheduled in the Education wing of the Lerner Building, located on the corner of E. 100th Street and Carnegie Avenue.
Please park in any of the visitor garages on main campus. If you've been assigned housing for your rotation, you may pick up your dorm key after 4 p.m. on the Sunday prior to your start date.
The following information will help you while you are rotating at Cleveland Clinic:
An identification badge will be issued to you after your orientation. You must wear your ID badge at all times at Cleveland Clinic.
If you leave the premises and return late, you must have your ID badge with you so you can regain admittance to campus buildings.
If you need to be absent during your rotation, please complete the absence request form and have it signed and approved by the department.
According to the policy, you can be absent no more than three days out of the four weeks. Anything more than this and you may not receive credit for the rotation and/or have the rotation cancelled.
All students are expected to dress in a professional manner. T-shirts, cut-offs, etc., are not allowed. We recommend you wear comfortable shoes.
Please reference the Personal Appearance Policy if you have any questions or concerns.
To page within Cleveland Clinic, use any touch tone telephone and follow the steps below:
1. Listen for dial tone, dial 14.
2. After a single tone, enter 5 digit pager numbers.
3. After triple tone, enter the phone number where you want to be called back.
4. Depress # sign twice to end transaction.
5. Hang up.
To page outside of Cleveland Clinic, dial 216.444.4000. Proceed with steps 2-5 found above.
To place an alpha page go to any computer and follow the steps below:
1. Select Internet Explorer which should bring up the CC Intranet home page.
2. To the left, you will see “PAGING”.
3. There are three (3) boxes:
- Box 1 -- search for a person’s pager number if needed.
- Box 2 – type in the pager #
- Box 3 – type in your text page
4.Click SEND PAGE.
5. You will receive a confirmation that your page has been sent to the Alpha Page Server.
Uniform Room - White Coat/Scrubs
White coats are issued on your first day. When your lab coat becomes soiled, take it to the Uniform Room (located in the basement of the TT building) and exchange it. The Uniform Room service hours are Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Cleveland Clinic uses a uniform exchange program. Upon proper authorization you will receive a specified number of scrubs that you may exchange, when soiled, on a one-to-one basis during your rotation.
You will be issued your O.R. scrubs from the Uniform Room. If your scrubs are not returned at the end of your visit, you will be charged for their cost.
Exposure to Blood Protocol
Significant exposures to patients’ BLOOD or BODILY FLUIDS that require follow up:
- Needle stick, puncture or cut with contaminated sharp
- Splash into the eyes, nose or mouth
- Exposure to open skin areas
1. CALL THE EXPOSURE HOTLINE IMMEDIATELY at 216.445.0742 (ext. 50742)
2. Complete an Occupational Injury Report form and forward it to the Safety Department
It is not necessary or advisable to go to the Emergency Department unless emergency care is needed.
It the source patient is known, a protocol exists for testing the patient for Hepatitis B and C and HIV. Do not order testing yourself.
After appropriate counseling, you will be offered HIV testing for baseline information. This testing and reporting of the results is done confidentially and test results are not filed in your medical record. Further testing will be guided by the source patient’s results.
Based on the severity and risk of the exposure, and after appropriate counseling, post-exposure prophylaxis may be recommended for you.
Please call the Infection Control Department, Ext. 4-5194, if you have any questions.
Before You Leave - Things To Do
There are number of items that need to be completed before you leave Cleveland Clinic and they are as follows:
- Lab Coats and Scrubs - Please return your lab coat to the Uniform Room in the basement of the TT building. If they are closed, discard the lab coat in the laundry chute outside of the room. Return scrubs to the H3 OR Uniform Room. If you are remaining at Cleveland Clinic for another rotation, please continue to wear a white lab coat. If you have scrubs and will not need them for the second rotation, please return them to the H3 OR Uniform Room.
- ID Badge - Badges will be deactivated at the end of the rotation. Please return your badge to the ID Badge office in the basement of the JJ-North Building or leave with the Elective Office (NA2-05). If you are remaining at Cleveland Clinic for another rotation, your badge will remain activated.
- School Evaluation - Please give the evaluation form to the contact person in the department where you are rotating and they can forward it to the faculty for completion. Make sure that the Elective Office has a copy of the completed evaluation for our files. It is your responsibility to forward the completed evaluation to your school.