Please have all required documents ready prior to starting the application; the documents must be included in order to submit your application. Please note that incomplete applications may not be processed.
2023/24 application process closes on Jan. 15, 2024:
About the Rotations
Each academic year, Cleveland Clinic receives more applications than it has educational opportunities. Selection is determined by the clinical departments, space availability, and/or competitiveness for a Cleveland Clinic residency. All rotations are four weeks long, and each student is limited to two different rotations.
Due to the high volume of requests, rotations during August through October are more competitive.
Priority in scheduling is given first to our own medical school students and affiliate students, other U.S. medical students and international students who are enrolled in an accredited medical school.
All medical students requesting clinical rotations must apply through the elective program.
- Application Dates: Applications for the 2023/24 academic year close on January 15, 2024 and opens again on February 5, 2024 for blocks 1-7. Blocks 9-12 will open on August 15, 2024. We do not schedule any visiting students in block 8 unless noted. Applications will usually close about three months prior to start date but is subject to change at any time due to number of applicants.
- Fee: A $200 application processing fee is required from all domestic visiting students, and $400 for international students, applying for an elective. The fee is NON-REFUNDABLE and is not dependent on receiving or accepting an offer. The fee must be paid when you submit your application. You may apply for up to two electives ($400 maximum fee for domestic students and $800 for international students). Please note, applying for two does not guarantee acceptance to either application request.
- Acceptance/Denial: After reviewing your application, you will be notified of acceptance or denial via email about 30-60 days prior to the start of your rotation. Once your assignment has been confirmed, you are expected to complete that rotation. Please do not reach out for a status update, everyone will be notified.
- Cancellations: While cancellation may be necessary, please do so at least 30 days in advance, and be sure to notify your school of the cancellation.
- Ohio University Students: Due to the affiliation agreement between OU and Cleveland Clinic, applications will open February 5, 2024 for our non-Cleveland students. Your APA should communicate the promotion code to waive the application fee.
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine
Elective Program, Health Education Campus EC40
9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195