Advanced training in abdominal wall reconstruction and minimally invasive surgery is offered by Cleveland Clinic's Department of General Surgery under the preceptorship of Michael Rosen, MD.
The curriculum under our various training programs may include observations and didactic sessions followed by outpatient experience and hands-on surgical training under the direct supervision of the preceptorship (under the hands-on surgery pathway).
Under the CAST surgery hands-on pathway, trainees will scrub in with the advanced abdominal wall reconstruction and minimally invasive surgery team for three operative days doing a minimum of six complex abdominal wall reconstructions. Trainees will also partake in clinic 1.5 days while seeing approximately 60 patients with complex abdominal wall problems, all while learning how to manage them in a cost-effective manner to improve outcomes in their practice.
Please note: Case volume is estimated and may vary depending on scheduling and staff availability.
- Be board-certified or board-eligible general surgeons who routinely perform basic laparoscopic procedure.
- Be licensed in the state of Ohio or eligible to apply for a Special Activities Permit from the Ohio State Medical Board (applicants for the Surgery Hands-on Training pathways only).
- Have practicing privileges in their parent institution.
- Provide a statement of goals and expectations, along with the application.
- To participate, non-citizen physicians can participate without clinic visa sponsorship if they have unrestricted U.S. employment authorization, e.g. lawful permanent resident (green card); Temporary Protected Status; Temporary Resident Status, Refugee or Asylee status, or any other status which authorizes the non-citizen physician to work without employer sponsorship.
- If you have current U.S. employment authorization, as an international physician, you must also be ECFMG certified, having taken USMLE steps 1-3, in order to participate.
- If you have only ECFMG, then you will need to have actively practiced medicine in the U.S. for the last two years, or have been in an ACGME training program within the last two years.
- If you have not done either of those items, then you must complete all parts of the USMLE to be eligible for Special Activities License.
- If you meet these qualifications, then we can proceed with your application for the CAST program.
- If not, you will be directed to the International Observership program and they will be able to explain the opportunities available to you there.
Duration and Tuition
Trainees can schedule to attend from 1 to 8 weeks.
- Hands-on Training: $6,000/week.
- Preceptorship Training: $3,500/week.
- Hybrid Training: $6,000/week.
Please note: You will have the option to split up your training weeks throughout the year, if necessary.
In the event that you need to cancel after payment has been received, application has been approved, and onboarding has begun, you will incur a cancellation fee of 30% of your tuition. The remaining balance (70%) will be reimbursed back to you.
How to Apply
The first step is to complete and submit the pre-application form.
Our office will contact you shortly thereafter.