Treatment & Services
- Advanced Diagnostic Bronchoscopy
- Cancer Center
- Interventional Pulmonary Medicine
- Lung Cancer
- Lung Transplantation
- Lung Volume Reduction Surgery
- Therapeutic (flexible Or Rigid) Bronchoscopy
- Treating Asthma With Bronchodilators
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency
- Benign And Malignant Central Airway Diseases
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Endobronchial Manifestations Of Systemic Diseases
- Lung Cancer
- Pulmonary Hypertension
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Pulmonary / Critical Care Medi
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - Yale-New Haven Hospital
New Haven, CT USA
Internship - Yale-New Haven Hospital
New Haven, CT USA
Medical School - MCP Hahnemann University School of Medicine
Philadelphia, PA USA
Undergraduate - University of Scranton
- Clinical Research Scholars Program, Case Western Reserve University, Masters in Clinical Research program
- Cleveland Clinic Innovator Award, 2006
- Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Disease
Advanced diagnostic and therapeutic bronchoscopy, lung cancer
Awards & Honors
- D. Robert McCaffree, MD, Master FCCP Humanitarian Award
- Best Doctors in America, 2007-2016
- Physician Development Award, AlphaOne Foundation, 2006-2008
- Finalist, 2004 CHEST Foundation Best Poster in Category Award
- Clinical Research Award Finalist, American College of Chest Physicians, Chest Foundation, 2002
Innovations & Patents
- First physician in North America to perform electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy
- NIH-NCAI Custom Airway
- Provisional Patents filed for Stent Manipulation Device
- American Thoracic Society
- Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians
- American Association for Bronchology
- World Association for Bronchology
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 4/10/2018, Dr. Gildea has reported the financial relationships with the companies listed below. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Consulting and/or Speaking. Dr. Gildea receives fees of $5,000 or more per year as a paid consultant, speaker or member of an advisory committee for the following companies:
- Auris Surgical Robotics, Inc.
- Ethicon US, LLC
Fiduciary Role. Dr. Gildea serves in a fiduciary capacity, such as an elected officer, director or chief medical officer, for the following companies or other entities:
- University of Pittsburgh
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
31 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Knows Medical History||4.7|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.9|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.8|
1 Patient Comment
Reviewed on Jan 10, 2018
Dr. took lead in contacting another doctor that we were scheduled to meet later in day. He prepped him of my situation and began dialogue of a plan.
© 2018 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.