Michael Fritz, MD
Treatment & Services
- Adult Facial Plastic Surgery
- Cancer Center
- Facial Reconstruction
- Head and neck reconstructive surgery
- Jaw Reconstruction
- Microvascular Reconstruction
- Microvascular Surgery
- Nasal Reconstruction
- Nasal Valve Surgery
- Pediatric Facial Plastic Surgery
- Skin Cancer Reconstruction
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Benign Bone Tumors
- Broken Bones
- Granulomatosis with Polyangitis (Wegener’s)
- Hemifacial Spasm
- Moebius Syndrome
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - University of Minnesota
Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Minneapolis, MN USA
Residency - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Internship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Medical Education - The Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health
Columbus, OH USA
Undergraduate - Duke University
Durham, NC USA
- Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
adult and pediatric facial plastic surgery including complex facial reconstruction following cancer treatment or trauma, facial paralysis, advanced facial skin cancers including melanoma, cosmetic and functional surgery of the nose and eyelids
Awards & Honors
- Multiple media appearances for complex facial reconstructions:
Cleveland Plain Dealer (www.cleveland.com/johanna)
ABC 20/20 (November 11, 2009)
Univision (January 23, 2010)
- Resident teacher of the year 2008-2009 and 2010-2011
Innovations & Patents
- Free fascia lata flaps for nasal lining in total and subtotal nasal defects - allows for faster and more effective reconstruction of large nasal defects from cancer or trauma.
- Orthodromic temporalis tendon transfer following radical parotidectomy (facial nerve sacrifice to clear parotid cancers) - for immediate correction of facial paralysis at the time of cancer treatment.
- Free fascia lata flaps for oral and tongue reconstruction - allows us to use the thigh preferentially for reconstructions thus minimizing donor site morbidity.
- Midface and orbit reconstruction with layered fibula osteocutaneous flaps (rebuilding faces with transferred and revascularized leg bone and skin) -This unique technique allows for total reconstruction of the floor of the eye, facial bones and palate at the time of cancer resection.
- Correction of Moebius syndrome (bilateral facial paralysis) with double orthodromic temporalis tendon transfer and fascia lata sling - this is a unique very effective outpatient technique to restore oral competence, facial motion and smile in patients with this condition.
- Combined multidisciplinary approach (derm surgery and facial plastic surgery) to optimize management of advanced facial skin cancers - unique collaboration between Dermatologic Surgery and Facial Plastic Surgery allows us to treat advanced facial skin cancers using the best tumor clearance and reconstructive techniques in the same surgical setting.
- Buried free flaps to improve contour and function after radical parotid and neck surgery - Avoids contour deformities after tumor management with a lasting transfer of vascularized tissue which tolerates the effects of postoperative radiation if required.
- Free vascularized fascia flaps following staged neck dissection after chemoradiation therapy Allow for rapid coverage of critical vessels, nerves and muscle following neck dissection.
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 3/5/2022, Dr. Fritz has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
87 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.9|
13 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Oct 28, 2022
I have been getting Botox treatments for my facial paralysis from Dr. Fritz for many years now. Always kind and considerate and gets the job done as I need.
Reviewed on Oct 7, 2022
Dr Fritz is of the utmost respect concern and interest of his patients health. His bedside manner is impeccable with an extreme ease to the patient.
Reviewed on Sep 23, 2022
Excellent Physician. Dr. Fritz is very professional and personable!
Reviewed on Sep 19, 2022
Dr. Fritz is the best!
Reviewed on Aug 31, 2022
Dr. Fritz is awesome!
Reviewed on Jun 24, 2022
Very knowledgeable and well experienced specialist doctor.
Reviewed on Jun 15, 2022
Dr. Fritz is one of the nicest caring doctors I've seen.
Reviewed on Jun 9, 2022
Dr. Fritz is incredibly skilled but equally attentive and caring. I could not be more pleased with my patient experience with Dr. Fritz.
Reviewed on Jun 6, 2022
Everyone was WORLD CLASS Dr Fritz is a genius!!!
Reviewed on Apr 6, 2022
Dr Fritz is OUTSTANDING! He is highly skilled and has a fantastic, caring bedside manner!
Reviewed on Jan 19, 2022
Dr Fritz is an outstanding doctor. He is definitely a asset to the Cleveland Clinic.
Reviewed on Jan 19, 2022
Dr Fritz and his staff were wonderful. Very efficient and answered my concerns.
Reviewed on Jan 10, 2022
Dr. Fritz is always professional and kind. He's also very honest and knowledgeable.
© 2022 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.