Michael Fritz, MD
Treatment & Services
- Adult Facial Plastic Surgery
- Cancer Center
- Facial Reconstruction
- Head and neck reconstructive surgery
- Jaw Reconstruction
- Microvascular Reconstruction
- Microvascular Surgery
- Nasal Reconstruction
- Nasal Valve Surgery
- Pediatric Facial Plastic Surgery
- Skin Cancer Reconstruction
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Benign Bone Tumors
- Broken Bones
- Granulomatosis with Polyangitis (Wegener’s)
- Hemifacial Spasm
- Moebius Syndrome
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - University of Minnesota
Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Minneapolis, MN USA
Residency - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Internship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Medical School - The Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health
Columbus, OH USA
Undergraduate - Duke University
Durham, NC USA
adult and pediatric facial plastic surgery including complex facial reconstruction following cancer treatment or trauma, facial paralysis, advanced facial skin cancers including melanoma, cosmetic and functional surgery of the nose and eyelids
Awards & Honors
- Multiple media appearances for complex facial reconstructions:
Cleveland Plain Dealer (www.cleveland.com/johanna)
ABC 20/20 (November 11, 2009)
Univision (January 23, 2010)
- Resident teacher of the year 2008-2009 and 2010-2011
Innovations & Patents
- Free fascia lata flaps for nasal lining in total and subtotal nasal defects - allows for faster and more effective reconstruction of large nasal defects from cancer or trauma.
- Orthodromic temporalis tendon transfer following radical parotidectomy (facial nerve sacrifice to clear parotid cancers) - for immediate correction of facial paralysis at the time of cancer treatment.
- Free fascia lata flaps for oral and tongue reconstruction - allows us to use the thigh preferentially for reconstructions thus minimizing donor site morbidity.
- Midface and orbit reconstruction with layered fibula osteocutaneous flaps (rebuilding faces with transferred and revascularized leg bone and skin) -This unique technique allows for total reconstruction of the floor of the eye, facial bones and palate at the time of cancer resection.
- Correction of Moebius syndrome (bilateral facial paralysis) with double orthodromic temporalis tendon transfer and fascia lata sling - this is a unique very effective outpatient technique to restore oral competence, facial motion and smile in patients with this condition.
- Combined multidisciplinary approach (derm surgery and facial plastic surgery) to optimize management of advanced facial skin cancers - unique collaboration between Dermatologic Surgery and Facial Plastic Surgery allows us to treat advanced facial skin cancers using the best tumor clearance and reconstructive techniques in the same surgical setting.
- Buried free flaps to improve contour and function after radical parotid and neck surgery - Avoids contour deformities after tumor management with a lasting transfer of vascularized tissue which tolerates the effects of postoperative radiation if required.
- Free vascularized fascia flaps following staged neck dissection after chemoradiation therapy Allow for rapid coverage of critical vessels, nerves and muscle following neck dissection.
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 2/28/2019, Dr. Fritz has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
126 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Knows Medical History||4.9|
|Time Spent with Patient||5|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.8|
17 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Mar 4, 2019
Dr Fritz is one of the best Doctor's I have ever seen. He seems to really care about his patients
Reviewed on Feb 13, 2019
Dr. Fritz is an awesome doctor, treats you like your the only patient he has !!!
Reviewed on Jan 16, 2019
Dr. Fritz, Wendy, and doctor with the staff all of them hear me and addressed my concerns. Very friendly and professional at same time.
Reviewed on Jan 14, 2019
Dr fritz was very helpful and willing to listen and answer any questions or concerns that I had.
Reviewed on Jan 9, 2019
Dr.Fritz was very caring and informative ,
Reviewed on Jan 7, 2019
I thought my doctor was great. He was very friendly and explained everything I wanted to know.
Reviewed on Nov 14, 2018
provider listened and explained. displayed compassionate care.
Reviewed on Oct 29, 2018
Dr. Fritz is outstanding. I have seen many doctors for my various issues, Dr. Fritz is the best doctor I have ever seen. He is the best listener, he answers my concerns in easy to understand terms. He is very concerned about my comfort during treatments and often offers to take a break to allow me to recover from unavoidable discomfort of my procedures. I trust his judgement and would highly recommend him.
Reviewed on Oct 3, 2018
Dr. Fritz has helped me tremendously to be able to "deal" with my severe facial deficits. I am so very thankful for Dr. Fritz and his assistant Wendy as I believe they truely do care.
Reviewed on Sep 19, 2018
Dr. Fritz is very thorough in all areas of care during an appointment.
Reviewed on Aug 8, 2018
Dr Fritz is very professional, talented and personable, he has given me back what I lost due to paralysis: my smile. I'm very grateful to him, Wendy, his surgical team, and all who worked together to help me regain what was important to me. I just can't thank all of them enough. They accomplished what I thought was impossible.
Reviewed on Aug 8, 2018
Dr Fritz is very thorough, answered all of my questions, and explained in detail how this treatment was going to affect me. I have complete faith in him.
Reviewed on Jul 23, 2018
Dr. Fritz is an awesome doctor. he saw me there for a different appointment and knowing I had an issue with my neck came and checked it out. He is very caring and proactive and Wendy his nurse is just as awesome.
Reviewed on Jul 23, 2018
Dr. Fritz often has Fellows and/or Residents with him during my visits. He always introduces each of them. it is obvious that they know my condition and they are very attentive. Dr. Fritz always explains the procedure I receive to them as well as to me. He answers any questions they have as well as any questions I have for him. The residents/fellows are blessed to learn from Dr. Fritz.
Reviewed on Jul 13, 2018
Appointment was made for me by referring DR Dr. was very polite and well educated with my specific problem.
Reviewed on Jun 27, 2018
Dr. Fritz and his team worked extremely well together!!
Reviewed on Apr 11, 2018
Dr. Fritz always listens to and addresses all of my questions and concerns.
© 2019 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.