Conor Delaney, MD, PhD
Treatment & Services
- Abdominal Perineal Resection
- Cancer Center
- Colon And Rectal Surgical Procedures
- Colon Surgery
- Laparoscopic Abdominal Perineal Resection
- Laparoscopic and Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopy
- Laparoscopic Colectomy
- Laparoscopic Colon Resection
- Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery for Digestive Diseases
- Laparoscopic Surgery for Prolapse
- Minimally Invasive Cancer Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Colorectal Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Rectal Cancer Surgery
- Rectal Surgery
- Rectal-Sparing Operations For Carcinoma Of The Rectum
- Resection of Colon and Rectal Diseases
- Robotic Colorectal Surgery
- Surgery For Carcinoma Of The Colon
- Surgery For Crohn's Disease
- Surgery for Rectal Prolapse
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Colon Diseases
- Colorectal Cancer
- Crohn's Disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Large Bowel Cancer
- Rectal Cancer
- Rectal Prolapse
- Ulcerative Colitis
Is Cleveland Clinic Florida Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Florida locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Graduate School - University College Dublin (National University of Ireland)
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Fellowship - Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
Graduate School - University College Dublin (National University of Ireland)
Residency - Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
Internship - Mater Misericordiade Hospital
Medical Education - University College of Dublin, Faculty of Medicine
- General Surgery
laparoscopic colorectal surgery, carcinoma of the colon, rectum and anus, crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, sphincter-saving surgery, reoperative abdominal surgery, colonoscopy
Awards & Honors
- 1987 Henderson Prize. Best undergraduate research, Mater Misericordiae Hospital.
- 1988 Leonard Prize. Best undergraduate dissertation at the Mater Misericordiae Hospital
- 1989 Gold Medal in Surgery. Final medical prize examination, Mater Misericordiae Hospital
- 1994 Ph.D. scholarship. Graduate School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh.
- 1995 Ortho-Biotech Transplant Fellow. Best presentation at Annual Transplant Fellow’s Meeting, American Society of Transplant Physicians, New Orleans.
- 1996 European School of Oncology Fellowship
- 1997 Ethicon Foundation Travel Grant. Award to travel to RCSE - Pelvic Surgery course.
- 1998 Irish Travelling Fellowship. To Royal Society of Medicine, Section of Coloproctology.
- 1998 Ethicon Foundation Travel Grant
- 1999 Surgical Travelling Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- 2000 Outstanding Clinical Fellow, Dept. Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- 2000 ‘KIWI’ Award - Best Endoscopist in Training. Dept. of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic
- 2000 ACG/Astra Zeneca Senior Fellow Award. Amer. Coll. Gastroenterology, NY, Nov 2000.
- 2001 24th Millin Medal. Medal with named lectureship, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- 2003 Best of the Best – 2002. Delaney CP et al, Ann Surg 2002; 236: 203-7 awarded as best colorectal paper of international literature by Archives of Surgery (2003; 138: 1266).
- 2004 Associacio Brasileira de Colite Ulcerativa e Doenca de Crohn (Brazilian Association for Ulcerative Colitis and Crohns Disease). Honorary Membership. Presented by Dr Flavio Steinwurz, San Paulo, May 6th, 2004.
- 2004 David Dunn Medal for best oral presentation. Awarded by the Association of Endoscopic Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland, ASGBI Scientific Meeting, April 2004. “Conversion rates in laparoscopic colorectal surgery – a predictive model on 1253 patients”.
- 2004 New England Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award for best oral presentation (presenter and first author). ASCRS May 2004. “Prospective, randomized, double-blind, multicenter, placebo-controlled study of alvimopan, a novel peripherally acting mu opioid receptor antagonist, for postoperative ileus after major abdominal surgery (Study 14CL302).”
- 2006 Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand. Honorary Membership. Presented by Dr Michael Levitt, Queenstown, Sept 29th, 2006.
- 2007 Northwest Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award for best oral presentation (presenter; sole author). ASCRS 2007. “Outcome of discharge within 24-72 hours of laparoscopic colorectal surgery.”
- 2009 Inaugural Jeffrey L. Ponsky Professor of Surgical Education, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio
- 2009 Honorary Fellowship of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
- 2011 Inaugural Murdough Master Clinician in Colorectal Surgery Award, University Hospitals Case Medical Center. Inaugural endowed Master Clinician Award.
- 2012 Mexican Society of Rectum and Colon Surgeons and Mexican College of Specialists in Coloproctology. Honorary International Fellowship.
- 2012 Midwest Surgical Association Best Paper Award for best oral presentation. “Extraction site incision and incisional hernias after laparoscopic colorectal surgery: Should we be avoiding the midline?”
- 2017 Victor W. Fazio Endowed Chair in Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio
- 2018 Sir Peter Freyer Memorial Medal, University College Galway, Ireland
- 2018 Honorary Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland
Innovations & Patents
- “Anoscope for inspection and/or surgery.” US 8097002 B2. Issue date 1/17/2012. Chinese patent #: 200880017588.4 Issue date 12/16/2011
- “Headset with laser pointer”. US 9039224. Issue date 5/26/2015.
- “Method and System for Extraction and Analysis of Inpatient and Outpatient Encounters from One or More Healthcare Related Information Systems”. UH-Socrates™ Knowledge Management System. US Provisional Application Serial No. 61/443,853.
- “Subcutaneous hydration system, method and device”. US Provisional Application Serial No. 14/211,006.
- Socrates Analytics Inc. Founder. November 2011
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 5/28/2020, Dr. Delaney has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
50 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Time Spent with Patient||5|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||5|
9 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Oct 8, 2020
Nicest doctors I've ever encountered.
Reviewed on Jul 27, 2020
Dr. Delany, PA Hannah, nurses Crina and Lavern are absolutely amazing!!! The Nurses and aids in my unit (G51) Were fantastic!!!! Thank You to this amazing team !!!
Reviewed on Jul 20, 2020
Dr. Delaney is the best. Explains everything in detail and is very supportive of my decision not to have surgery.
Reviewed on Jun 1, 2020
Dr. Delaney is a joy to work with.
Reviewed on May 18, 2020
Dr. Delaney and Nurse Laverne _____ are very personable and professional. They make me feel like family.
Reviewed on Apr 27, 2020
Great experience overall. Especially appreciate Aleshia the scheduler and Dr Delaney. Both did a fantastic job making me feel confident I had picked the right place for surgery.
Reviewed on Apr 27, 2020
Scores applicable to Primary: Dr. Conor Delaney
Reviewed on Mar 9, 2020
Dr. Delaney is top notch!
Reviewed on Jan 20, 2020
Dr. Delaney's staff is excellant.
© 2021 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.