Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School
Gastroenterology & Hepatology
Boston, MA USA
Residency - Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School
Boston, MA USA
Internship - Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School
Boston, MA USA
Medical Education - Drexel University
Philadelphia, PA USA
Miguel Regueiro, M.D. is currently the Chair of the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, and Vice Chair of the Digestive Disease and Surgery Institute at Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. He serves as Medical Co-Chair of Digestive Disease and Surgical Institute Research Governance committee. He also holds the Pier C. and Renee A. Borra Family Endowed Chair in Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Digestive Disease and Surgery Institute.
Dr. Regueiro earned his bachelor’s degree at the University of Pennsylvania, his medical degree at Drexel (Hahnemann) University and completed his internal medicine internship, residency, and clinical and research fellowship training in gastroenterology at Harvard Medical School’s Beth Israel Hospital.
Dr. Regueiro was Professor of Medicine and Clinical and Translational Science at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine from 2000 to 2018. There he served as the IBD Clinical Medical Director, Senior Medical Lead of Specialty Medical Homes, was Professor with Tenure, and in 2018 was honored as the UPMC Endowed Chair for Patient Centered Care in Inflammatory Bowel Diseases.
- Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
Awards & Honors
- Dr. Regueiro has received several honors, including the Pier C. and Renee A. Borra Family Endowed Chair in Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Digestive Disease and Surgery Institute at the Cleveland Clinic, the Endowed Chair of Patient Centered Care at UPMC, the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, the Joan Kormblum Memorial Prize for Excellence in Internal Medicine, the Clinical Investigator Training Award from Harvard/MIT Health Sciences, the Crohn’s Colitis Foundation of America Physician of the Year, the National Research Excellence in GI disease award, Best Doctors in America, Top Doctor in Pittsburgh, Top Doctor in Cleveland, IBD section author for UpToDate, numerous fellowship teaching awards, and American Gastroenterology Association, American College of Gastroenterology, and American College of Physician Fellowships. He also serves as the Co-Chair for the annual Advances in Inflammatory Bowel Disease course and editor-in-chief for the innovative Crohn's and Colitis 360 (digital) journal.
- Dr. Regueiro is a member and fellow of the American College of Physicians, American College of Gastroenterology, member of the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation (CCF), and former Co-Chair of CCF’s professional education committee. He serves as Co-Chair for the annual Advances in Inflammatory Bowel Disease course and editor-in-chief for the innovative Crohn's and Colitis 360 (digital) journal. In addition, Dr. Regueiro has been an invited lecturer and keynote speaker for numerous national and international seminars, and has served on the editorial board and editor for the major gastroenterology journals.
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 11/28/2018, Dr. Regueiro has reported the financial relationships with the companies listed below. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Consulting and/or Speaking. Dr. Regueiro receives fees of $5,000 or more per year as a paid consultant, speaker or member of an advisory committee for the following companies:
- Takeda Pharmaceuticals North America, Inc.
- AbbVie, Inc.
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
77 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Knows Medical History||4.8|
|Time Spent with Patient||5|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.9|
8 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Feb 5, 2019
Dr. Regueiro was very good and personable He listened to what I said, looked at the reports and files, and had good advice! He gave me HOPE! I am pleased to be going forward with Dr. Regueiro.
Reviewed on Jan 22, 2019
Dr. Regueiro and every person I came in contact with during my visit were knowledgeable, professional and compassionate.
Reviewed on Jan 22, 2019
Dr. Reguerio reviewed my records, spoke with me about my current problems and concerns, made efforts for testing that afternoon and discussed a plan of care that I found to be insightful. I am currently awaiting insurance approval to take the next step with he and his team.
Reviewed on Dec 4, 2018
I had a great experience for the first time at the clinic. Dr. Reguerio was my doctor for many years in Pittsburgh, when he moved to Cleveland I asked for him to continue with my care. I trust him completely and have great respect for him.
Reviewed on Nov 27, 2018
Most impressed with level of knowledge, care & concern the doctor & his staff presented
Reviewed on Nov 20, 2018
I've been to a few doctors regarding my health concerns and none have listened as well or work as hard Dr Reguiero did to get to the bottom of the issue!!
Reviewed on Aug 28, 2018
Was in the exam room 20 mon before my appointment time. Tech, nurse and Dr Rs assistant doctor were all courteous and professional. Thei information they gathered was fed to Dr R and when he met with me it was like he knew me and my history. Could not have asked for better experience during this consult
Reviewed on Aug 14, 2018
Dr Regueiro is one of the best doctors I've ever had in my life. I traveled 3 hours so I could see him. I'm happy he has attained a position he deserves and worked hard to attain. We will miss him in Pittsburgh.
© 2019 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.