Stefan Holubar, MD, MS
Treatment & Services
- Abdominal Surgery
- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
- Advanced Operative Laparoscopy
- Anorectal Fistula Treatment
- Anorectal Surgery
- Cancer Center
- Clinical Trials
- Colon And Rectal Surgical Procedures
- Colon Surgery
- Colorectal Cancer - Prevention
- Colorectal Cancer Diagnosis
- Colorectal Cancer Research
- Colorectal Cancer Screening Strategies
- Colorectal Cancer Treatment
- Colorectal Surgery
- Consultation for Complicated Colon and Rectal Disease
- Fecal Diversion
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- Ileoanal Pouch
- Intestinal Stomas
- J Pouch
- Laparoscopic Colectomy
- Laparoscopic Colon Resection
- Laparoscopic Colon Surgery
- Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery
- Laparoscopic Fecal Diversion
- Laparoscopic Ileocolectomy
- Laparoscopic J-pouch Surgery
- Laparoscopic Proctosigmoidectomy
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery for Digestive Diseases
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender( LGBT Health)
- Minimally Invasive Colorectal Surgery
- Pelvic Pouch Surgery for Ulcerative Colitis
- Pouch Center
- Rectal Cancer Surgery
- Re-Do Rectal Surgery
- Reoperative Abdominal and Pelvic Surgery
- Reoperative Abdominal Surgery
- Reoperative Pelvic Surgery
- Reoperative Surgery
- Resection of Colon and Rectal Diseases
- Rubber Band Ligation Of Hemorrhoids
- Second Opinion
- Sphincter Sparing Surgery
- Stoma Surgery
- Surgery For Carcinoma Of The Colon
- Surgery For Crohn's Disease
- Surgery for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis
- Surgical Management for Ulcerative Colitis
- Surgical Treatment for Mucosal Ulcerative Colitis
- Total Abdominal Colectomy
- Treatment for Anal Fissure
- Treatment for Anal Fistula
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Abdominal Abscess
- Adenomatous Polyps
- Anal Abscesses
- Anal Cancer
- Anal Fissures
- Anal Fistula
- Anal Itching
- Anal Pain
- Anorectal Disease
- Anorectal Fistula
- Benign Anorectal Disease
- Cancer of the Colon, Rectum and Anus
- Carcinoma of the Colon
- Carcinoma of the small and large bowel
- Colon Cancer
- Colon Diseases
- Colon Polyps
- Colonic Neoplasia
- Colorectal Cancer
- Colovaginal Fistula
- Colovesticle Fistula
- Crohn's Disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Intestinal Fistula
- Intestinal Fistulae
- Intestinal Ischemic Syndrome
- Large Bowel Cancer
- Large Intestine Cancer
- Small Bowel Cancer
- Small Intestine Cancer
- Stoma Related Problems
- Ulcerative Colitis
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
Colon & Rectal Surgery
Rochester, MN USA
Graduate School - Mayo Clinic
Clinical & Translational Science
Rochester, MN USA
Residency - North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System
Colon & Rectal Surgery
New Hyde Park, NY USA
Medical Education - University of Vermont College of Medicine
Burlington, VT USA
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
Awards & Honors
- Research Awards2022 Best Advanced in Inflammatory Bowel Disease (AIBD) Clinical Abstract Award. Obi Megan et al. Venous Thromboembolism Risk in Hospitalized Tofacitinib-Exposed Patients: A Real-World Experience of 533 Patient
- 2022 Best Advanced in Inflammatory Bowel Disease (AIBD) Surgical Abstract Award. Lincango E, et al. Transanal Ileal Pouch-anal Anastomosis for Inflammatory Bowel Disease (ta-IPAA): A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
- 2022 American Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons (ASCRS), Michigan Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Award. Holubar, SD et al. Biologics Before Surgery are Not Associated with Infectious Complications After Surgery for IBD
- 2022 Crohn’s & Colitis Congress Poster of Distinction Award: Holubar SD, et al. Current Venous Thromboembolism Chemoprophylaxis Practices After Surgery for IBD: Saves-IBD Trial Initial Report
- 2021 Digestive Diseases Week (DDW)/Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract (SSAT) Abstract of the Year Award: Choi S, et al. Is Ileoanal Pouch Excision A Destination Therapy for Inflammatory Bowel Disease? Data From a Quaternary Pouch Referral Center
- 2006 Ira Teischer MD Memorial Award for Excellence in Surgical Education, North Shore-Long Island Jewish (NSLIJ) Health System
- 2006 Excellence in Medical Writing, 3rd prize, North Shore-Long Island Jewish (NSLIJ) Health System Academic Competition
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 12/12/2022, Dr. Holubar has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
116 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.8|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.8|
18 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Dec 12, 2022
Dr Holubar went out of his way seen me the next possible appointment on zoom and prepared the following day for tests and follow up. Dr Holubar and his nurse Jacqueline did everything they could to ease my suffering . Cleveland Clinic is fortunate to have Dr Holubar and so are any of his patients.
Reviewed on Dec 1, 2022
The stoma nurse was soooo helpful.She went above and beyond to explain things to us.
Reviewed on Nov 29, 2022
I have the greatest respect for Dr. Holubar.
Reviewed on Oct 17, 2022
I had my system up and running and I waited for Dr. Holubar to respond. I was somewhat put off by the fact that he was driving his car while talking to me. There was one question he asked me, and I didn't have a ready response.
Reviewed on Sep 21, 2022
*Dr. H_____ and *Casey, NP were amazing and took their time with me.
Reviewed on Aug 22, 2022
Reviewed on Aug 22, 2022
*Dr. Holubar, his fellow, *Dr. Lucaz, came in everyday reviewed my case I felt very comfortable with *Dr. Holubar. He is confident & professional.
Reviewed on Aug 1, 2022
My computer does not have camera capability, but was able to talk directly to Dr. Holubar on a phone call.
Reviewed on Jul 25, 2022
Bad example experience Dr .Holubar great but scheduling been a night mare
Reviewed on Jun 9, 2022
*Dr. Lee, *Casey PA & *Dr. Houlbar are excellent!
Reviewed on May 12, 2022
Dr Holubar has been amazing, in explaining everything and the work he has done for me. Thank you so much Dr Holubar
Reviewed on May 9, 2022
Very great and knowledgeable team. So happy to have experienced and professional doctors and surgeons.
Reviewed on Apr 12, 2022
I love *Dr. Holobar and his team. They are the absolute best. *Dr. Holobar saved my life in Jan. 2021. I am so grateful.
Reviewed on Mar 28, 2022
Doctor and staff explained procedures and thorough examination as well as complete surgical procedure treatment and follow upAt an understandable level
Reviewed on Feb 21, 2022
I have in fact recommended Dr Holubar to people in my home town. He takes his time with you and allows you to ask any and all questions you may have. I have NEVER been treated with such kindness, compassion and genunine concern as a patient until I came to see Dr Holubar!!
Reviewed on Feb 21, 2022
I cannot say enough about my amazing journey to wellness from Dr Holubar and staff!!!
Reviewed on Feb 19, 2022
*Dr. Holubar helped me understand every step of my journey - so precise, knowledgeable - what I was most impressed with though was his outstanding supportive bedside manner - compassionate, empathetic, kind, I am so grateful.
Reviewed on Jan 17, 2022
The dr took his time, asked good questions, made thoughtful recommendations
© 2023 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.