Jijun Xu, MD, PHD
Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
Treatment & Services
- Abdominal Wall Block
- Acute Postoperative Pain Management
- Bursa Injection
- Celiac Plexus Block
- Cervical, Thoracic and Lumbar Epidural Injections
- Cervical, Thoracic and Lumbar Facet Joint Blocks
- Cervical, Thoracic and Lumbar Radiofrequency Ablation
- Epidural Blood Patch
- Epidural Steroid Injection
- Fluoroscopy-Guided Interventional Pain Management
- Ganglion Impar Block
- Hypogastric Plexus Block
- Implantable Dorsal Root Ganglion Stimulation Therapy
- Implantable Intrathecal Drug Delivery Systems
- Implantable Spinal Cord Stimulation Therapy
- Intradiscal Intervention (IDET, Biacculoplasty)
- Intradiscal Procedure for Pain Relief
- Joint Injections
- Lumbar Sympathetic Block
- Management of Back and Neck Pain
- Medial Branch Blocks
- Minimally Invasive Lumbar Decompression
- Pain Management
- Pain Medicine
- Second Opinion Neuropathic Pain
- Selective Nerve Root Injection
- Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block and RFA
- Splanchnic Nerve Block
- Stellate Ganglion Block
- Transforaminal Injections
- Trigeminal Nerve Blocks
- Trigeminal Nerve Radiofrequency Ablation
- Trigger Point Injection
- Ultrasound-Guided Peripheral Nerve Blocks and Bursa Tendon Injections
- Ultrasound-Guided Peripheral Nerve Blocks and Joint Injections
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Abdominal Pain
- Back Pain
- Brachial Plexopathy
- Burning Mouth Syndrome
- Cancer Pain
- Cervical Facet Syndrome
- Cervical Radiculopathy
- Cervical Spondylosis
- Chemotherapy-Induced Neuropathy
- Chest wall pain
- Chronic Back Pain
- Chronic Postsurgical Pain
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Diabetic Neuropathy
- Facet Joint Syndrome
- Facial Pain
- Facial Pain - Atypical
- Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
- Foot Pain
- Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia
- Herniated Disc
- Hip Pain
- Intercostal Neuralgia
- Interstitial Cystitis / Pelvic Pain
- Knee Pain
- Migraine Headaches
- Musculoskeletal Pain
- Myofascial Pain Syndrome
- Nerve Injuries
- Neuropathic Pain
- Occipital Neuralgia
- Orofacial Pain
- Painful Diabetic Neuropathy
- Pelvic Pain
- Phantom Limb Pain
- Piriformis Syndrome
- Post Thoracotomy Pain
- Post-Herpetic Neuralgia
- Post-Laminectomy Syndrome
- Postlaminectomy Syndrome Lumbar
- Post-Surgical Pain Syndromes
- Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)
- Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction
- Shoulder Pain
- Spinal Stenosis
- Superior and Inferior Orbital Neuralgia
- Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Vertebral Compression Fracture
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
About Jijun Xu, MD, PHD
Jijun Xu, MD, PhD, holds joint appointments in theDepartment of Pain Management, Anesthesiology Institute, and the Department ofInflammation and Immunity, Lerner Research Institute at Cleveland Clinic. He isan Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Collegeof Medicine of Case Western Reserve University.
Dr. Xu specializes in interventional pain management. Dr.Xu’s research interests include clinical outcomes and basic science of neuropathicpain. He is involved in multiple clinical trials at Cleveland Clinic. He is thePrincipal Investigator (PI) of the SENZA-PDN (Spinal cord stimulation forrefractory painful diabetic neuropathy) trial. He is also investigating the useof Ketamine and Nitrous Oxide in Complex Regional Pain Syndrome which he is aninvited speaker and book chapter contributor in this field. He is also the PIof a NIH-funded research to study the mechanisms underlyingChemotherapy-induced Peripheral Neuropathy. He serves on the Research Committee of theAmerican Association of Pain Medicine.
Dr. Xu is interested in incorporating new advances in painmanagement into clinical practice and teaching residents and fellows. He wasselected as the “Best Teacher” and the “Cleveland Clinic Pain Medicine Staff ofthe Year” in 2016 and 2020.
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Medical Education - University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
Houston, TX USA
Medical Education - University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
Neuroscience and Genes and Development
Houston, TX USA
Graduate School - Nanjing Medical College
Microbiology and Immunology
Residency - Nantong University College of Medicine
Medical Education - Nantong University College of Medicine
Ph.D. in Neuroscience and Genes & Development; Opioid tolerance, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS), The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, The University of Texas (UT) M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 2002-2007
Postdoctoral Fellow, Inflammatory and Neuropathic Pain, Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, TX 2007-2009
Neuropathic Pain, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, Chronic Back and Neck Pain, Musculoskeletal Pain, Abdominal and Pelvic Pain, Headache and Facial Pain, Cancer Pain, Acute Postoperative Pain
Awards & Honors
- 2020 “Best Teacher” and “Cleveland Clinic Pain Medicine Staff of the Year”
- 2020 NIH NCI grant “Complement in Chemotherapy-induced Peripheral Neuropathy”
- 2020 NIH Study section panel “Somatosensory and Pain System”
- 2016 “Best Teacher” and “Cleveland Clinic Pain Medicine Staff of the Year”
- 2014 Chief Fellow, Pain Management, Cleveland Clinic
- 2014 Best Abstract Award. 23nd Annual Meeting, International Society for Anesthetic Pharmacology (ISAP), New Orleans, LA
- 2013 Best Abstract Award. 22nd Annual Meeting, International Society for Anesthetic Pharmacology (ISAP), San Francisco, CA
- 2012 Third Place Award. 2012 Anesthesiology Research Day, Cleveland Clinic, OH
- 2012 Best Abstract Award. 21st Annual Meeting, International Society for Anesthetic Pharmacology (ISAP), Washington, DC
- 2011 Best of Show Honorable Mention. 20th Annual Meeting, International Society for Anesthetic Pharmacology (ISAP), Chicago, Illinois
- 2011 Best of Resident Abstracts. 10th Annual Meeting and Workshops, American Society for Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine. New Orleans, Louisiana
- 2010 First Place Award in basic science-pharmacology, Midwest Anesthesia Resident Conference (MARC), Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2010 Second Place Award. Annual Meeting, Ohio Society of Anesthesiologist, Columbus, Ohio
- 2008 Best of Show - Elmer Zsigmund Abstract Award. 17th Annual Meeting, International Society for Anesthetic Pharmacology (ISAP), Orlando, Florida
- 2005 Travel Award. International Narcotics Research Conference, Annapolis, MD
Research & Publications
See publications for Jijun Xu, MD, PHD.
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 2/1/2023, Dr. Xu has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
53 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.8|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.7|
12 Patient Comments
© 2023 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.
Reviewed on May 1, 2023
Doctor XU And his staff are the best!
Reviewed on May 1, 2023
I feel very comfortable when I have an appointment with doctor XU and his staff
Reviewed on Apr 24, 2023
I had a wonderful experience from the scheduler, to the front desk, to the Dr. Dr XU is outstanding; very kind and caring
Reviewed on Jan 20, 2023
Dr. Xu needs to be cloned! He and Dr. Jin, Res., were very thorough and explained my diagnosis pretty well, the worse part again, is not getting back in the office for treatment. Waiting weeks just to be seen, then scheduled to come back - not good to remain in pain, no way to work!!! But, I like him, lots.
Reviewed on Jan 20, 2023
Dr Xu is the best doctor I have ever had.
Reviewed on Jan 13, 2023
Dr. Xu is very caring and passionate for truly helping people feel better and to ease physical pain. He is very knowledgeable and takes time to listen and explain his treatment plan. I would highly recommend him.
Reviewed on Dec 9, 2022
It was a great experience. The doctor took his time and listened to what I said .
Reviewed on Dec 9, 2022
The doctor and fellow were outstanding
Reviewed on Oct 31, 2022
Dr Xu's PA was very thorough and pleasant asking questions .Dr Xu has always been very professional and competent providing pain management and different proceedures needed to treat me. Very happy with his care.
Reviewed on Oct 21, 2022
Dr. Xu is without question the best physician I have ever worked with. I feel he truly cares about his patients, remembers their individual problems and continually seeks answers to improve their health.
Reviewed on Sep 6, 2022
Dr Xu goes above and beyond for the patient. He is the true definition of the Cleveland Clinic mission which is "patients first always"
Reviewed on Jun 13, 2022