A Birth Certificate Assistant will contact you within two business days of delivery to interview you for information to complete the birth certificate worksheet. The information requested will include baby's full name and information on parents, including education, social security number, medical history pertaining to pregnancy, plus any other information needed to complete the birth certificate worksheet.
- The birth certificate may be obtained by sending an application, the required fee and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the State of Ohio Bureau of Vital Statistics. The application is in your “Caring for You and Your Baby” folder.
- The State of Ohio Bureau of Vital Statistics is the only agency that can issue a birth certificate. The hospital is not able to order or provide birth certificates.
- The birth certificate takes at least six weeks to process and may not be obtained prior to this time.
Proof of Birth Letter
Akron General will provide a proof-of-birth letter to all parents for insurance and other benefits.
Social Security Number
Federal tax law requires all children, including infants, to have a Social Security number. There are two options for obtaining a Social Security number:
- Akron General will apply for the number. Simply check "yes" to the question pertaining to the Social Security card on the birth certificate worksheet and it will be mailed directly to your home within two months.
- You may apply directly to your Social Security Office for the card.