Cleveland Clinic Akron General
1 Akron General Ave.
Akron, OH 44307
330.344.6242 or 330.344.6243
The Medical Library provides health care professionals with free access to health-related materials and information.
The Medical Library is open to all medical professionals - physicians, residents, medical students, nurses and all allied health professionals affiliated with Cleveland Clinic Akron General. It's Akron General's way of ensuring that our healthcare professionals have resources they need to find information about specific health care topics.
Your free Medical Library card gives you access to up-to-date medical information in a customer friendly, professional atmosphere as well as:
- Access to the collections of every major medical library in the United States including the National Library of Medicine
- Access to OhioLINK via affiliation with Northeastern Ohio Medical University (NEOMED)
- Materials not available at Akron General can be obtained through the interlibrary loan service
- Literature searches on medical topics
- Internet access for medical topics and searches
- Computer classes
- Medline searching and more
- OHIOLink – Ohio Library and Information Network
- U.S. National Library of Medicine
- Northeastern Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) Library
- American Medical Association
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
Staff & Hours
Akron General's Medical Library is located off the main lobby. Experienced healthcare library staff members are ready to assist during library hours. The Medical Library offers a STAT fax service for information requests directly related to patient care. Requests can be phoned in ahead of time to the library by calling or faxing us. Call or fax ahead, and we'll have the information ready for you when you arrive.
Key pad access codes are available upon request for 24-hour access to the library.
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Health Libraries for Patients and the Community
Community Health Library
Akron General's Community & Medical Libraries are made possible through the support of the Akron General Foundation, Akron General employees and the community. Contributions help Akron General keep its information current and up-to-date. To make a contribution, call the Akron General Foundation at 330.344.6888.
The external sites linked to on this website are not necessarily endorsed by Akron General.
Rules & Regulations
Library cards will be issued to employees and physicians who have a valid Akron General ID. Your library card will enable you to check out materials from the Medical Library as well as have access to the following:
- Research databases through OhioLink
- Electronic journals
- P-Circ, patron initiated circulation
- Full text databases
- Free photocopy center for patient/work related information
- And much more. Ask a library staff member about additional services.
Materials circulate for the following time periods
- Books: 21 days
- Audio Visuals: 7 days
- Reference Books: Do not circulate
- Journals: Do no circulate
The Medical Library has Internet access available for work-related and educational use. Posted at each workstation is Akron General’s Internet Access & Use Policy. Before using the Internet, please read the policy, paying special attention to Section C - Unauthorized Use.
The Medical Library does not charge overdue fines, however if library materials are not returned after three overdue notices, the replacement cost plus a processing fee will be charged. Please be considerate of others who may have a need for these materials.
Food and drinks are not permitted in the Medical Library. This rule is enforced in order to protect the library's materials and equipment.
Akron General is a private, non-profit organization and has complete authority over the library collection and materials.