Children with strawberry hemangiomas have a clump of blood vessels that form a noncancerous tumor under the skin. It looks like a strawberry birthmark. Strawberry hemangiomas can grow bigger, but they usually aren’t harmful. Hemangiomas typically fade away without treatment by the time a child is 10.
A strawberry hemangioma is a clump of tiny blood vessels that forms under the skin. It causes a raised red skin growth that may be present at birth or develop during infancy. A hemangioma looks like a strawberry birthmark, but it’s actually a benign (noncancerous) tumor. You may also hear the term vascular birthmark.
The tumor often grows for the first year and then shrinks, usually without treatment. About 10% disappear by the child’s first birthday. Of the rest, 90% of hemangiomas fade away by a child’s 10th birthday.
Hemangiomas are most common in children. They are not usually visible at birth. Instead, they usually show up during the first few days or months of life. They can appear on any part of the body, but they are most common on the head or face. When they first show up, they can grow very quickly. Later on, they usually shrink and eventually disappear.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
Infantile hemangiomas are the most common vascular tumors. As many as 1 in 10 babies develop a hemangioma. Some children have more than one hemangioma.
There are different types of hemangiomas, including:
Hemangiomas can form during adulthood. In adults, this benign growth of blood vessels is a cherry angioma.
The round, cherry-red spots may be smooth or raised. They typically appear on a person’s trunk after age 30. Around 3 in 4 people over age 75 have them. Because they’re so common with aging, they’re also called senile angiomas.
Cherry angiomas don’t go away. In fact, you’ll probably get more of them as you age. If their appearance bothers you, a dermatologist (skin specialist) can remove them.
Experts aren’t sure why some babies get hemangiomas. They’re not the result of anything a person does during pregnancy. It’s a myth that foods or stress cause any type of birthmark.
Strawberry hemangiomas form when blood vessels and cells close to the skin don’t develop as they should. Instead, the vessels clump together into a noncancerous mass or tumor.
Any child can have a strawberry hemangioma, but these factors may increase the risk:
Most strawberry hemangiomas appear within an infant’s first month. Some are present at birth, while others appear during childhood. You may notice a tiny scratch or bump. This mark grows bigger during an infant’s first 4 to 6 months of life.
After the tumor stops growing (typically before age 1), it gradually shrinks. It may turn gray or white. Some children have pain as the hemangioma shrinks. Most hemangiomas fade by the time a child is 10.
Strawberry hemangiomas get their name because of their strawberry-red color and appearance. But some hemangiomas are more purple or brown (like a bruise), especially on darker skin.
The raised lump may have a firm, rubbery feel. Hemangiomas aren’t itchy or painful.
Strawberry hemangiomas commonly appear on the face and neck, but they can be on any part of the body. Some children have hemangiomas inside their mouths or anus.
A healthcare provider can diagnose a strawberry hemangioma based on appearance. Your child shouldn’t need any tests.
Many children with strawberry hemangiomas don’t need treatment. Your healthcare provider may recommend early treatment if the hemangioma:
Hemangioma treatments include:
Most strawberry hemangiomas are harmless. But some hemangiomas do cause problems if they:
Most strawberry hemangiomas disappear by age 10. After the tumor goes away, a child may have slight skin discoloration, skin puckering or a barely noticeable scar.
In some cases, a large hemangioma that shrinks on its own may leave sagging skin. A surgical procedure can remove the excess skin.
You should call your healthcare provider if your child has:
You may want to ask your healthcare provider:
A note from Cleveland Clinic
Strawberry hemangiomas are common among children and aren’t harmful. These noncancerous tumors eventually fade, usually without treatment. If your child has a sizable hemangioma that affects appearance and self-esteem, your healthcare provider may recommend treatment. Medicines can shrink the tumor, making it less noticeable. Providers often treat hemangiomas that grow close to the eye or mouth to prevent vision and breathing problems. By the time you celebrate your child’s 10th birthday, the hemangioma should be a memory.
Last reviewed by a Cleveland Clinic medical professional on 06/04/2021.
Learn more about our editorial process.