Clenpiq Bowel Preparation Instructions
FOR CLEVELAND CLINIC PATIENTS: IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS, YOUR COLONOSCOPY WILL BE CANCELLED.
- Your bowel must be empty so that your doctor can clearly view your colon. Follow all of the instructions in this handout EXACTLY as they are written.
- DO NOT eat any solid food the ENTIRE day before your colonoscopy. Drink only clear liquids.
- Buy your bowel preparation at least five days before your colonoscopy.
Transportation on the day of your exam
A responsible person MUST BE PRESENT with you at Check In before your colonoscopy and MUST REMAIN in the endoscopy area until you are discharged. You are not allowed to drive, take a taxi or bus, or leave the Endoscopy Center alone. If you do not have a responsible driver (family member or friend) with you to take you home, your exam cannot be done with sedation and will be cancelled.
Please bring a list of all of your current medications, including any over-the-counter medications, with you.
If you take insulin, diabetic medications or blood thinners, you must call the doctor who orders those medications for instructions on altering the dosage before your colonoscopy. Blood thinners include Coumadin® (warfarin); Plavix®(clopidogrel); Ticlid® (ticlopidine hydrochloride); Agrylin® (anagrelide); Xarelto® (Rivaroxaban); Pradaxa® (Dabigatran); Eliquis® (Apixaban); and Effient® (Prasugrel).
All other medications, including aspirin, should be taken the day of the exam with a sip of water.
Five (5) days before your colonoscopy
- Do NOT take medicines that stop diarrhea, such as loperamide (Imodium®) or bismuth subsalicylate (Kaopectate®, Pepto-Bismol®).
- Do NOT take fiber supplements, such as Metamucil®, Citrucel®, or Perdiem®.
- Do NOT take products that contain iron, such as multivitamins (the label lists what is in the products).
- Do NOT take Vitamin E.
Buy the prescription bowel preparation solution at your local pharmacy or drugstore pharmacy five days before your colonoscopy.
Three days before your colonoscopy
- Do NOT eat high-fiber foods, such as popcorn, beans, seeds (flax, sunflower, quinoa), multigrain bread, nuts, salad/vegetables, or fresh and dried fruit.
One day before your colonoscopy
- Only drink clear liquids the ENTIRE DAY before your colonoscopy. Do NOT eat any solid foods. Drink at least 8 ounces of clear liquids every hour after waking up. The chart shows what you can and cannot drink.
(No Red Liquids)
|DO NOT DRINK|
|Gatorade®, Pedialyte® or Powerade®||Alcohol|
|Clear broth or bouillon||Milk or non-dairy creamer|
|Coffee or tea (no milk or non-dairy creamer)||Noodles or vegetables in soup|
|Carbonated and non-carbonated soft drinks||Juice with pulp|
|Kool-Aid® or other fruit-flavored drinks||Liquid you cannot see through|
|Strained fruit juices (no pulp)|
|Jell-O®, Popsicles®, hard candy|
The bowel preparation solution will be consumed in two parts.
Part 1 at 6 PM on the evening before your colonoscopy
- Drink one bottle of CLENPIQ®.
- Over the next five hours, drink at least 5 cups (8-ounces each) of clear liquid at your own pace.
- You may continue to drink clear liquids until midnight.
Four hours before your colonoscopy on the day of your procedure:
- Drink one bottle of CLENPIQ, then drink one cup (8-ounces each) of clear liquid, every 15 minutes for at least four cups.
- You may continue to drink clear liquids up to 3 hours before your exam.