Visitor Programs Suspended
Due to COVID-19, all visitor programs are suspended until further notice. Please visit us again for updates.
The Global Surgical Observer Program is exclusively designed and open only to international medical graduates who have applied or intend to apply for residency or fellowship in the United States. Highly qualified participants visit Cleveland Clinic for a four-week shadowing experience and spend one-two weeks with specialists in each of the following surgical specialties:
- General Surgery
- Colorectal Surgery
- Transplant Surgery
A total of 12 candidates are accepted every year.
Who is Eligible?
Foreign Medical Graduates who have applied or intend to apply for residency or fellowship in the United States and are ECFMG-certified.
ECFMG certification is a requirement, and candidates must be able to submit proof of certification as part of their application material. Candidates who are in process of completing USMLE steps, are encouraged to apply once they are ECFMG-certified.
Fees & Tuition
The tuition for the program is $1,500.
A $200 non-refundable processing fee, which will be applied toward the tuition, will be charged for all applications. Upon acceptance to the program, the non-refundable tuition balance of $1,300 will be due to hold your place.
How to Apply to the Global Surgical Observer Program
- Refer to the schedule below and select an application period most appropriate for you.
- Create an account. [All visitor programs are suspended until further notice due to COVID-19]
- Complete the application form and submit all required documents before the close date of the period you are applying to.
- Pay the fee.
|Application periods 2022||Online application open date||Online application close date||Expected notification of final decision|
|Period 1: January to June 2022||On Hold||On Hold||On Hold|
|Period 2: July to December 2022||December 1, 2021||January 31, 2022||February 28, 2022|
|Application periods 2023||Online application open date||Online application close date||Expected notification of final decision|
|Period 1: January to June 2023||June 1, 2022||July 31, 2022||August 30, 2022|
|Period 2: July to December 2023||December 1, 2022||January 31, 2023||February 28, 2023|
- Each applicant is responsible for ensuring their application is complete.
- The Review Committee will not consider any additional changes once an application has been submitted for review.
- Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all information and supporting documents provided are authentic and accurate.
- We reserve the right to request additional information or verification of information and documents submitted. If an applicant is unable to do so, we reserve the right to withdraw consideration of the application.
- Applicants assume all costs associated with authenticating, retrieving and submitting documents and material in support of their application and fulfillment of observership.
- Due to the large volume of applications we receive, we are unable to provide feedback to candidates who are not accepted into the program.
Documents Required to Apply
- Up-to-date CV/Resume.
- Personal Statement – one page addressing your interest in the program.
- USMLE Scores (all scores to date compiled into one file).
- ECFMG Certificate.
- Letter of Recommendation from a physician who can attest to academic and other relevant accomplishments
All documents submitted must be in:
- PDF, DOC or DOCX format