What is remote device monitoring?
Remote device monitoring is a way for you to send us important information about your defibrillator and/or pacemaker (device) using a monitor and phone. The information is sent over a secure connection.
Please read this information BEFORE you commit to and enroll in the remote monitoring program.
Your monitor does not watch your heart rhythm 24/7. If you have symptoms of an abnormal rhythm/heart problem or have an urgent need or concern, call 911!
If you have a non-urgent problem, call the Device Clinic during regular business hours.
800.223.2273 ext. 46483 or 216.444.6483.
How do I enroll in the program?
A nurse in the Device Clinic will help you enroll in the remote device monitoring program. You can enroll at any time, but this is usually done at your first device follow-up visit. You can only be enrolled with one medical center at a time. If you ever want to stop sending transmissions to Cleveland Clinic, please call the Device Clinic.
How do I get my monitor?
- You will get your monitor in the clinic or it will be sent to you 2-4 weeks after you enroll in the program. If you do not get your monitor within 4 weeks, please call the Device Clinic.
- You will get an identification card along with your monitor. Keep the card with you at all times.
- Review all monitor instructions right away. You need to set up the monitor within 24 hours after you receive it.
How do I set up my monitor?
- Follow the device manufacturer’s set-up instructions. If you need help, please call your device manufacturer’s technical support line. Please do not call the Device Clinic. Keep the helpline numbers near your monitor.
- Set up the monitor within 6-8 feet of where you sleep.
- Keep your monitor plugged in, turned on and connected at all times. Check it from time to time to make sure the power is on.
- If you lose power or the monitor is disconnected, you will need to repeat the set-up process.
How do I send my first transmission?
- Send your first transmission within 24 hours after you get your monitor. You may send it at any time of the day.
- Call the Device Clinic the first business day after you send your first transmission to make sure it went through. 216.444.6483 or 800.223.2273 ext. 46483. Ask for the date of your next scheduled transmission.
How do scheduled transmissions work?
- Your scheduled transmission dates will be once a month or 4 times per year, depending on the type of device you have.
- You will get a reminder in the mail about 2 weeks before your scheduled transmission date.
- The transmissions are either automatic or manual, depending on the type of monitor you have.
- Your monitor will collect information from your device every night.
- If there is a problem with your device or heart rhythm, it sends a report to the device clinic.
- On your scheduled transmission dates, information is sent to the clinic. This usually happens between 12:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. Please make sure you are within 6-8 feet of the monitor during these hours on your transmission date appointment.
- You will place a wand over your device to send a report to the clinic.
When are my transmissions reviewed?
- Transmissions are reviewed Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- No news is good news. We will not contact you if everything was normal.
- We will review the information and call you if something is unusual.
What if I miss a transmission appointment?
Your healthcare team needs to get regular transmissions to make sure you get the best care possible.
We will call you if you miss a scheduled transmission. If you miss 3 transmissions in a row and we cannot contact you by phone, you will need to come into the Device Clinic for an in-person transmission. If you do not contact us to schedule the appointment or if you miss it, you will be removed from the remote device monitoring program.
Will my insurance cover the cost of the monitor and remote monitoring?
- Please call your insurance company to ask about coverage.
- You can speak with a Cleveland Clinic Patient Financial Advocate. Visit: my.clevelandclinic.org/patients/billing-finance/financial-review-services to schedule a callback or call 216.442.1600 or 855.831.1284.