STS Star Rating
As a participant in the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) public reporting initiative, Cleveland Clinic is proud to achieve a three-star ratings (highest) in all adult cardiac surgery, both categories for General Thoracic Surgery and the newest rating for Transcatheter Aortic Heart Valve Replacement. These categories include:
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (July 2019-June 2022)
- Aortic Valve Replacement (July 2019-June 2022)
- Aortic Valve Replacement + Coronary Artery Bypass (July 2019-June 2022)
- Mitral Valve Repair/Replacement (July 2019-June 2022)
- Mitral Valve Repair/Replacement + Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (July 2019-June 2022)
- Lobectomy for lung cancer (January 2019-December 2021)
- Esophagectomy for esophageal cancer (January 2019-December 2021)
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (STS/ACC TVT Registry, October 2018-September 2021)
Cleveland Clinic has been one of the earliest participants in national-level voluntary public reporting of cardiovascular outcomes through channels like the STS Adult Cardiac Surgery Database and the American College of Cardiology’s National Cardiovascular Data Registry suite of registries.
We believe this commitment to outcomes transparency benefits both referring providers and our patients, whose cases are among the most challenging in the world. For instance, some 50 percent of our cardiothoracic surgery patients require procedures more complex than those rated by the STS.
Specific Cardiac Surgery Outcomes (E15 Matrix Data set)
E15 Matrix Data Set
The top seven common operation procedures are collected for all hospitals doing cardiac surgery in the USA (approximately 1050 sites). An institution can match its own outcomes versus those of all other institutions as shown in the table for the first seven operations. The observed mortality for these operations at Cleveland Clinic are shown versus the predicted mortality rates across the country.
The Society of Thoracic Surgeons requests outcomes reports from participating hospitals in order to provide the public with data and hospital ratings across the country.
The matrix table also shows our procedure volumes and outcomes for other complications.
January 1, 2022 – June 30, 2022 (View the PDF)
- CABG - Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- AVR - Aortic Valve Replacement
- MVR - Mitral Valve Replacement
- MV - Mitral Valve
- VAD - Ventricular Assist Device
- TAVR - Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement
- Reop - Reoperation
- Vent - Ventilator
- DSW - Deep sternal Wound (Infection)