Why train at Cleveland Clinic?
We are delighted that you are interested in applying to a graduate medical education training program at Cleveland Clinic.
Cleveland Clinic is a not-for-profit, multispecialty academic medical center located in Cleveland, Ohio. Since our founding in 1921, education has been an integral element of our mission, which is the "care of the sick, investigation of their problems, and further education of those who serve."
You'll find many advantages to training at Cleveland Clinic. For example:
- You'll have choices. Cleveland Clinic sponsors one of the nation's largest graduate medical education programs, with 100-plus training programs approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), along with 90 training programs outside of ACGME oversight.
- You'll gain a world of experience. Because Cleveland Clinic is one of the world's largest, busiest healthcare centers, all our patients are “teaching cases.” Our trainees see rare, complex and unusual cases in addition to routine medical problems. What's more, you'll work with patients from various cultural backgrounds.
- You'll train at one of the nation's best hospitals. Cleveland Clinic is consistently named as one of the nation's top hospitals by U.S.News & World Report, and our heart and heart surgery program has been ranked No. 1 by U.S. News since 1995. Many major medical breakthroughs have happened at Cleveland Clinic including, most recently, the world’s first deep brain stimulation surgery to restore function after stroke, first North American birth of a baby following deceased-donor uterine transplant and development of a vaccine to prevent deadly triple-negative breast cancer.
- You'll train using state-of-the-art technology. For example, our newly updated Simulation and Advanced Skills Center is designed for physicians, nurses and allied healthcare providers to practice teamwork and communication skills; learn specific clinical skills; and develop technical skills such as laparoscopy.
- You'll discover new things. All our trainees engage in cutting-edge research in basic sciences, clinical medicine and biomedical engineering alongside our scientists and clinical faculty.
Guided by a solid tradition of excellence and a commitment to put "Patients First," we continue to pursue scientific investigation, champion clinical training and deliver the finest healthcare possible. We encourage you to learn more about education at Cleveland Clinic and explore our website to learn more about what makes Cleveland Clinic a great place to learn and grow.
Diversity & Inclusion
The Center for Graduate Medical Education and Cleveland Clinic are united in a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in education as well as in the communities we serve. We value all people regardless of the many dimensions of identity and how those identities may intersect.
We enthusiastically welcome trainees from diverse backgrounds and cultures because we believe that the opportunity to learn and succeed should be available to everyone. Richness of thought, discovery and innovative thinking emerge from the work of diverse people and teams. Building a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for GME trainees not only is essential to achieving our mission of patient care, but also is the right thing to do.
We pledge to continue advancing our efforts around diversity, equity and inclusion. We support and encourage our faculty to view processes through the lens of diversity, equity and inclusion, and to recognize instances of unconscious bias. We are intentional about creating a safe space so that all our caregivers can bring their authentic selves to work in ways that are productive and positive. We encourage teams to openly engage in dialogue so that we can continue the important work of creating a culture where everyone feels valued and respected for who they are. We stand against structural racism, and we work to combat health disparities in our patients and in the communities we serve.
If you are looking to train at Cleveland Clinic, we encourage you to ask questions about our approach to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Diversity and Inclusion at Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland Clinic values a culture where caregivers integrate diversity and inclusion throughout the enterprise. We respect and appreciate our similarities and differences; they enable us to better serve our patients, one another and our global communities. Learn more about our diversity and inclusion efforts.
- About Diversity & Inclusion at Cleveland Clinic.
- Cleveland Clinic Office of Diversity & Inclusion.
- Diversity & Demographics at Cleveland Clinic.
- Ensuring Healthcare Equality for LGBTQ+ Patients and Employees.
- Diversity Physician Recruitment: Hear from staff members about their experience working at Cleveland Clinic, the key role diversity plays in the organization and the commitment made to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Cleveland Clinic’s Commitment to the Community, Jan. 13, 2022.
- Cleveland Clinic Continues Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion, June 28, 2021.
- Cleveland Clinic Joins Coalition to Create One Million Jobs for Black Americans, Dec. 11, 2020.
- CEO Update | Cleveland Clinic Supports Cleveland City Council Resolution Declaring Racism a Public Health Crisis, June 3, 2020.
- CEO Statement | We Are Committed to All Whom We Serve, June 1, 2020.
- CEO Opinion | Diversity and inclusion in healthcare cannot be left to chance, May 18, 2019.
- Cleveland Clinic Physician Diversity Scholars Program.
- Scholarship for Underrepresented Students.
- Creating an Environment that Embraces Diversity, Inclusion and Equity: Programs and partnerships focus on community, diverse hiring.