What is a neck lift?
A neck lift, also known as a chin lift, offers a smoother and more toned appearance to skin under the chin and neck area that has lost elasticity. An elegant neck contour is not only associated with a youthful appearance, but also with health and vitality.
Cleveland Clinic Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Center surgeons offer many neck lift procedures (also called a cervicoplasty) and complimentary cosmetic techniques for both men and women that result in a younger, more vibrant look – and overall outlook.
Why Choose Us
When considering a neck lift, always look for a board-certified cosmetic surgeon with specialized training and significant experience. For the best results, choose a cosmetic surgeon who is affiliated with a major medical center, such as Cleveland Clinic.
Make sure to ask your cosmetic surgeon about his or her credentials, training and how many procedures he or she has performed.
How to Prepare
Am I a candidate for neck lift surgery (chin lift)?
Aging of the neck is usually a combination of loose skin and muscle and some excess fat. This combination results in the so-called “turkey gobbler.” For those who simply want this area treated and not the entire face, neck lift surgery (chin lift) can be beneficial. A neck lift can be performed on those who feel the need to improve their neck contour. Typical patients range between the ages of 30 and 70.
Good candidates for neck lift surgery include:
- Individuals with excess skin under the chin and neck area that has lost elasticity
- Individuals with excess fat under the chin and neck area
- Healthy individuals who do not have medical conditions that can impair healing or increase risk of surgery.
For a neck lift through a chin incision, the degree of profile improvement correlates best with skin quality. Therefore, good candidates for neck lift through a chin incision surgery include:
- Young or middle-aged individuals
- Individuals with minimal, mild or moderate skin excess
- Individuals with mild to moderate subplatysmal fat
How do I prepare for neck lift surgery?
Preparing for your neck lift surgery at the Cleveland Clinic Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Center will include discussing a number of questions about your health, desires and lifestyle with your plastic surgeon. He or she will evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors as part of this consultation.
To ensure the best results from your neck lift procedure, be prepared to discuss:
- Why you want the surgery, your expectations and desired outcome
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Use of current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drugs
- Previous surgeries
Your plastic surgeon may also:
- Examine and measure your face
- Take photographs for your medical record
- Discuss your neck lift procedure options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of a neck lift and any risks or potential complications.
What to Expect
How is a neck lift performed?
Neck lift surgery can be performed in a variety of ways:
- An incision can be made behind the ear or alternatively in front of and behind the ear, similar to a facelift incision. In this technique, excess neck skin is removed through the incision made behind the ear.
- An alternative method, popularized by Cleveland Clinic plastic surgeons, involves creating an incision under the chin without removing any skin and without the need for an incision in front of the ear. Release of the neck skin from the underlying muscles allows the skin to contract without skin removal. The platysma muscle (platysmaplasty) is also tightened through the chin incision.
- In the elderly, skin is removed directly from under the chin through a zig-zag incision. No incision is therefore made in front of or behind the ear. This reduces the complexity of the procedure.
Is a neck lift safe?
All surgical procedures carry some risk. Possible complications from neck lift surgery include:
- Swelling and bruising that can last for several days
- Tightness or tingling and different sensations including burning or pulling
- Numbness on the skin, which is normal in the first few weeks following surgery
- Risk of infection (At the first sign of a fever or unusual discharge from the incision site, contact your doctor)
- Allergic reaction to medications given during or after your surgery (very rare).
What results can I expect?
The results of neck lift surgery (chin lift) are visible almost immediately. Your final results may take several months for all subtle swelling to subside. Because of the minimally invasive approach used at Cleveland Clinic Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Center, scars from this procedure may be small in properly selected patients. Overall results are generally long lasting. View our neck lift before and after photos to see results from actual patients.
What is involved in recovery?
Recovery from a neck lift takes time, and it’s important that you’re patient with the process. Most people can return to work in seven to 14 days. If you participate in sports or are physically active, you will have to wait at least three weeks to resume those activities.
Your plastic surgeon may also recommend you wear a medical compression bandage to help reduce post-operative swelling. This is usually worn night and day for at least five to seven days and then only at night for a longer period of time. It’s important to follow instructions to ensure proper recovery.
Insurance & Financing
Insurance rarely covers the cost of elective cosmetic surgery and procedures.
Please call 216.444.4004 and ask to speak with one of our financial representatives who can explain payment options including CareCredit financing.