To carry out this mission and foster the group practice of medicine, Cleveland Clinic must:
- Excel in specialized medical care supported by comprehensive research and education
- Develop, apply, evaluate and share new technology
- Attract the best qualified medical, scientific and support staff
- Excel in service
- Provide efficient access to affordable medical care
- Ensure that Cleveland Clinic quality underlies every decision.
The Founder's Vision
The vision of Cleveland Clinic: Striving to be the world's leader in patient experience, clinical outcomes, research and education.
When Cleveland Clinic welcomed its first patients on February 28, 1921, its mission was clearly in place: “Better care of the sick, investigation into their problems and further education of those who serve.”
The doctors who founded Cleveland Clinic, drawing from military medicine, believed in diverse specialists working and thinking as a unit. This kind of cooperation, efficiency and shared vision has fostered excellence in patient care, research and education. These principles endure today at Cleveland Clinic, a nonprofit group practice.
Statement of Values
Cleveland Clinic was established by visionary leaders who believed in simple, guiding principles. Six fundamental values form the foundation of the Cleveland Clinic's culture:
- Quality. We maintain the highest standards and achieve them by continually measuring and improving our outcomes.
- Innovation. We welcome change, encourage invention and continually seek better, more efficient ways to achieve our goals.
- Teamwork. We collaborate and share knowledge to benefit patients and fellow caregivers for the advancement of our mission.
- Service. We strive to exceed our patients’ and/or fellow caregivers’ expectations for comfort and convenience.
- Integrity. We adhere to high moral principles and professional standards by a commitment to honesty, confidentiality, trust, respect and transparency.
- Compassion. We demonstrate our commitment to world-class care by providing a caring and supportive environment for our patients, patients’ families and fellow caregivers.
Commitment to Principles
Cleveland Clinic is committed to principles as presented in the United Nations Global Compact, a strategic policy initiative for businesses that are committed to aligning their operations and strategies with universally accepted principles in the areas of human rights, labor, environment and anti-corruption. With than 10,000 corporate participants and other stakeholders from more than 130 countries, it is the world’s largest voluntary corporate citizenship initiative.
In 2008, Cleveland Clinic became the first healthcare provider in the United States to become a signatory to the United Nations Global Compact and the second in the world.
Read about Cleveland Clinic’s progress toward this commitment.
- Cleveland Clinic Health System United Nations Global Compact Report (July, 2017)
- Cleveland Clinic Health System United Nations Global Compact Report (July, 2016)
- Cleveland Clinic Health System United Nations Global Compact Report (May, 2015)
- Cleveland Clinic Health System United Nations Global Compact Report (May, 2014)
View previous reports in pdf format
- Cleveland Clinic Health System United Nations Global Compact Report (May, 2013)
- Cleveland Clinic Health System United Nations Global Compact Report (May, 2012)
- Cleveland Clinic Health System United Nations Global Compact Report (May, 2011)
- Cleveland Clinic Health System United Nations Global Compact Report (May, 2010)
The hallmark used in the official Cleveland Clinic logo, developed in 1984, is the first official emblem for the Cleveland Clinic Foundation.
The four squares represent each of the major areas of the Foundation: Clinic, Hospital, Research and Education. They are also representative of our four founders: Frank E. Bunts, MD, George W. Crile, MD, William E. Lower, MD, and John Phillips, MD.
The large single square signifies unity and the efforts of all those involved to care for the sick, investigate their problems and further educate those who serve.
Learn how Cleveland Clinic supports healthy environments for healthy communities.
Serving Our Present, Caring For Our Future
Progress in Community & Global Citizenship
Annual report for patients, caregivers, communities and global stakeholders to share Cleveland Clinic's sustainability performance metrics and stories.