Our National Consultation Service team is based in the Department of Internal Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic Main Campus in Cleveland, Ohio. The team evaluates patients with complex medical problems, offering comprehensive, coordinated, and personalized care in collaboration with other Cleveland Clinic physicians.
Call us locally at 216.444.5665 or toll-free at 800.223.2273 ext. 45665 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Whether you have complex, chronic or co-existing health problems that require extra attention, we are here to help you. The National Consultation Service will streamline your access to care to get you back home quickly.
What to Bring»
To help streamline your Cleveland Clinic visit, please bring the information you have regarding your current medical issue including:
- Brief 2 page summary (timeline of hospital and emergency room visits).
- A list of your current medications.
- A list of specialists you have seen.
- CDs from procedures such as catheterizations imaging studies (DICOM compatible).
- Lab reports.
- Microscopic slides should be mailed.
- USB drive with records we can import.
What to Expect»
- Consultation visit for medical concerns; not to establish with a primary care doctor.
- You may be referred to other physicians within Cleveland Clinic.
- A second visit if often scheduled in our department after other Cleveland Clinic consultations.
- Your stay may extend past one week.
- Sometimes it is not possible to complete all assessments in one visit. A return visit may be ncessary.
The National Consultation Service works closely with Global Patient Services, a full-service department that ensures that out-of-state visitors have the best experience possible. They can help with appointment scheduling and arranging airline reservations and hotel accommodations, including reservations to hotels located on Cleveland Clinic main campus.
Additionally, Cleveland Clinic offers parking, lodging and transportation options on and near Cleveland Clinic main campus.
Cleveland Clinic is located about 30 minutes from Cleveland Hopkins International Airport and about 20 minutes from Burke Lakefront Airport, an executive airport for smaller planes and jets.
Once you arrive at Cleveland Clinic, please proceed to G10, on the ninth floor of the G Building (Marked G on the Map). Find directions and a map below:
You also may request directions and a map by calling Patient Global Services locally at 216.445.5580 or toll-free at 800.223.2273, ext. 55580.
After Your Visit»
A summary of your visit with recommendations will be provided at the end of your visit or sent to you. When it is possible, electronic communication through a secure service (MyChart) is used to expedite the process.
If you have been referred to Cleveland Clinic by another doctor, he or she will receive this report, as well, with your permission.
It is often a good plan to have a visit with your primary care doctor to review the report and recommendations.
Whether your patients have complex, chronic or co-existing health problems that require extra attention, we have services to streamline their access to Cleveland Clinic specialists.
When you refer a patient to Cleveland Clinic’s National Consultation Service, you can be assured that:
- Our consultative medicine nurse will contact your patient to review their concerns in detail prior to their visit.
- One of our consultative medicine internists will examine your patient and coordinate care.
- You can follow your patient’s progress online. You can log into DrConnect, a free, secure, online tool that streamlines communication between you and Cleveland Clinic staff. In addition, a summary of your patient’s visit will be sent directly to you, including all test results and a recommended treatment plan.
To refer a patient to the National Consultation Service, please call us locally at 216.444.5665; or toll-free at 800.223.2273 ext. 45665.
There's nothing worse than getting sick while on a well-deserved vacation or during an important business trip.
There are steps you can take to stay healthy while traveling abroad. You can receive immunizations, vaccinations, medicine and travel tips personalized towards your unique itinerary from the specially trained physicians and staff at the International Travel Health Clinics.
What We Offer
We provide the following services:
Pre-Travel Risk Assessment»
Studies show that if you visit a travel health expert before international travel, you are seven times less likely to get sick on your trip. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Are you chronically ill and have a problem such as heart disease, chronic lung disease or diabetes mellitus?
- Will you be traveling or living overseas for an extended period of time, such as an exchange student or expatriate?
- Are you headed for a remote location or developing county (i.e. on a religious or medical mission)?
- Are you unsure or concerned about access to sophisticated medical care at your travel destination(s)?
If any of the above apply to you, we recommend a Pre-Travel Risk Assessment. You'll receive the following personalized services by our specially trained physicians and nurses:
- Review itinerary, length of stay, and current travel conditions/advisories for your destination
- Assess potential health risks, including the need for special vaccines, immunizations or medications
- Assess general medical and safety concerns for your specific itinerary
- Up-to-date information on the immunizations and medications recommended for the part of the world you’ll be visiting
Vaccinations and Immunizations»
- All travel-related and routine vaccinations (your specific itinerary will determine the ones you might require). These may include:
- Routine flu vaccination, Hepatitis A, Typhoid
- Childhood vaccinations – polio/diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus
- We are an official state-designated Yellow Fever Vaccine Center.
- Anti-malarial, anti-diarrhea and others -- personalized to your itinerary
- CDC recommendations cover countries as a whole; at your visit we can help you sort out what you need and what you do not.
- Tips and advice on avoiding insect-borne and food-borne illnesses
- Information about local medical facilities at your destination
- Advice on accessing proper health care, including medical evacuation, if necessary
- Precautions on water and food, climate and activity
- Advice on hygiene and protection against sexually transmitted diseases
- Other -- personalized to your itinerary
- Upon your return, we offer a full evaluation for any traveler who has fever, diarrhea or any new illness.
Doctors staffing International Traveler's Clinics are available at various locations:
Cleveland Clinic Main Campus»
Steven Mawhorter, MD is board-certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Disease. He holds a Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene from Liverpool, England. He is a member of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, the International Society of Travel Medicine and the Wilderness Medical Society.
Nancy Ivansek, PA-C, MA is a physician assistant with over 25 years of experience in general and internal medicine. She holds a Master's degree in community health education from Kent State University. She completed her physician's assistant training at Lake Erie College and Cleveland Clinic. Nancy works alongside Dr. Mawhorter to prepare patients for their trips abroad.
Jonathan Leizman, MD is board-certified in Family Practice and received his medical degree from The Ohio State School of Medicine and Public Health, Columbus, OH.
Dalia Mossad, MD is board-certified in Internal Medicine. She is a member of the American College of Physicians, the International Society of Travel Medicine and has a special interest in Preventative Medicine.
Visits to travel health clinics are out-of-pocket and usually not covered by traditional medical insurance plans. Please ask for more information when you call to book your appointment.
Schedule a visit to the International Travel Health Clinic most convenient for you. Please contact our centralized scheduling center locally at 216.444.6415 or toll-free at 800.223.2273 ext. 46415.