Treatment & Services
- Amniotic Fluid
- Arthritic Knee Conditions
- Arthritis Surgery
- Bone Marrow Concentrate (BMC)
- Complex Primary Hip Arthroplasty
- Complex Primary Knee Arthroplasty
- Fracture Non-union
- Hip & Knee Surgery
- Hip Replacement
- Hip Revision
- Hyaluronic acid injections
- Joint Injections
- Joint Preservation
- Joint Preservation Center
- Joint Preserving Hip Surgery
- Joint Reconstruction
- Joint Replacement
- Joint Replacement Of The Knee
- Knee Arthroplasty
- Knee Revision
- Minimally Invasive Hip Joint Replacement
- Minimally Invasive Knee Joint Replacement
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Placental Tissue Matrix (PTM)
- Platelet Lysate (PL)
- Platelet Poor Plasma (PPP)
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections (PRP)
- Primary And Revision Joint Replacements
- Primary And Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty
- Primary And Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Reconstructive Surgery Of The Hip
- Reconstructive Surgery Of The Knee
- Regenerative Medicine
- Revision Hip Arthroplasty
- Revision Hip Joint Replacement
- Revision Joint Replacement
- Revision Knee Arthroplasty
- Revision Knee Joint Replacement
- Revision Total Hip Replacement
- Revision Total Knee Replacement
- Stem Cell Therapy
- Surgical Treatment Of Arthritis Of The Hips And Knees
- Total Knee Replacement
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Arthritic Knee Problems
- Arthritis Of The Hip
- Arthritis Of The Knee
- Avascular Necrosis Of The Hip
- Avascular Necrosis Of The Knee
- Hip Pain
- Hip Replacement
- Knee Injuries
- Knee Pain
- Osteoarthritis Of The Hips And Knees In The Elderly
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Weill Cornell Medical, Hospital for Special Surgery
New York, NY USA
Fellowship - Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
New York, NY USA
Residency - University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
Dallas, TX USA
Internship - University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
Dallas, TX USA
Medical School - Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Chicago, IL USA
Undergraduate - University of Illinois Hospital at Urbana-Champaign
Urbana, IL USA
- Director, Orthopaedic and Rheumatologic Research Center, 2005-Present
- Director, Clinical Tissue Engineering Center (CTEC), 2005-Present
- Vice Chairman, Department of Biomedical Engineering, 2004-Present
- Vice Chairman for Research, Cleveland Clinic Orthopaedic and Rheumatologic Institute, 2007-Present
- Co-Director, Armed Forces Institute for Regenerative Medicine (AFIRM), 2007-Present
- Orthopaedic Surgery
Joint replacement surgery, treatment of fracture non-unions and avascular necrosis, research in regenerative tissue engineering, adult stem cell biology, health care quality assessment
Awards & Honors
- North American Traveling Fellowship, American Orthopaedic Association, 1989
- Career Development Award, Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation, 1990-1992
- J.P Ranney Award for Innovation in Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research, 2006
- Clevelands Best Doctors, Northern Ohio Live magazine, 2007
Innovations & Patents
- Innovator in both implant design for joint surgery and limb reconstruction, as well as in the application of biological principles to the regeneration of new tissues, particularly bone.
- Responsible for over nine patents and recognized as inventor of the concept of selective retention as a means of rapidly concentrating and delivering a patient's own stem cells for use in tissue-healing applications. This is the basis for the Cellect TM Device, that has now been used in treatment of over 50,000 patients worldwide for bone repair following spine surgery or fractures.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- American Orthopaedic Association
- Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons
- International Society for Tissue Engineering
- International Society for Stem Cell Research
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 6/9/2017, Dr. Muschler has reported the financial relationships with the companies listed below. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Consulting and/or Speaking. Dr. Muschler receives fees of $5,000 or more per year as a paid consultant, speaker or member of an advisory committee for the following companies:
- Fortus Medical, Inc.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
90 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Knows Medical History||4.7|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.8|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.8|
8 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Oct 30, 2017
Excellent care!! Always available if I had a problem.
Reviewed on Sep 18, 2017
they spent a lot of time with me answering all my questions.
Reviewed on Jul 12, 2017
Dr. George Muschler held my hand and comforted me before surgery & Follow up appointment. I've had over 16 surgeries and never had such a caring and gentle treatment.
Reviewed on Jun 21, 2017
Dr. Muschler is a perfectionist, he listens to every concern and comments most of all, he ADDRESSES every issue to the patient's satisfaction to ensure success.
Reviewed on May 22, 2017
Dr.Muschler is very clear and thorough with his instructions. Always willing to answer questions!!
Reviewed on Mar 8, 2017
My Dr. Muschler is outstanding in every way.
Reviewed on Mar 6, 2017
Amazingly well done
Reviewed on Feb 17, 2017
Dr. Muschler and his team are top notch in my opinion.
© 2018 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.