Michael Benninger, MD
Twinsburg Family Health & Surgery Center
Head and Neck Institute
Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
9500 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44195
Treatment & Services
- Clinical Trials
- Flexible Fiberoptic Laryngoscopy
- Flexible Fiberoptic Nasal Endoscopy
- General ENT
- Head and neck reconstructive surgery
- Laryngeal Electromyography
- Laryngeal Framework Surgery
- Laryngeal Function Assessment
- Laryngeal Physiology
- Laryngeal Sensory Testing
- Laryngeal Videostroboscopy
- Nasal Airway Surgery
- Nose/nasal Surgery
- Pituitary Surgery
- Sinus Surgery
- Surgical Management Of Chronic Sinus Disease
- Vocal Cord Paralysis Treatment
- Voice And Larynx Surgery
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Chronic Cough
- Difficulty with Vocal Range
- Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD)
- Granulomatosis with Polyangitis (Wegener’s)
- Hay Fever
- Immobile Vocal Folds
- Laryngeal Stenosis
- Laryngopharyngeal Reflux
- Nasal Cavity Cancer
- Nasal Congestion
- Nasal Obstruction
- Nasal Polyps
- Nasal-Sinus Disease
- Nose Or Nasal Problems
- Paranasal Sinus Disease
- Septal Deviation
- Sinonasal Disease
- Sinus Infections
- Smell And Taste Disorder
- Subglottic And Tracheal Stenosis
- Subglottic Stenosis
- Throat Problems
- Throat Symptoms from Reflux
- Tracheal Stenosis
- Vocal Cord Paralysis
- Vocal Fatigue
- Voice Disorders
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
About Michael Benninger, MD
Dr. Michael S. Benninger is Professor and Chair of the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery in the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine and the Immediate Past-Chair of the Head & Neck Institute at Cleveland Clinic
He is the President of the International Association of Phonosurgery, Vice President of the Voice Foundation, President-Elect of the Triological Society and member of the Board of Governors of the American College of Surgeons. He is also a Past-President of the American Laryngologic Association, American Rhinologic Society, the Michigan Oto-Laryngological Society and the Northeast Ohio ENT Society; Past Treasurer of the American Broncho-Esophagological Assiciation, and a Past Vice-President of the Triological Society. He served on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery for 12 years, having been both a former Vice President and Chairman of the Board of Governors of that organization. He is the former Editor-in-Chief of the Journal, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. He has served on the Residency Review Committee for Otolaryngology and as a member of the Medical Advisory Board for WebMD. He is the Past-Chairman of the Steering Committee for the Sinus and Allergy Health Partnership.
Dr. Benninger has authored or edited 10 books and has 1 additional book in press. He also has written more than 100 book chapters and over 210 scientific articles, focusing primarily on voice care and laryngology, nasal and sinus disease, and healthcare management.
A graduate of Harvard University, Dr. Benninger received his medical degree from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, and completed his residency at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation.
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Residency - Cleveland Clinic
Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Cleveland, OH USA
Medical Education - Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Cleveland, OH USA
Undergraduate - Harvard University
Cambridge, MA USA
- Chair, Cleveland Clinic Head & Neck Institute, 2008-2020
- President, International Association of Phonosurgery
- Treasurer, American Broncho-Esophagological Association
- Vice-President and member of the Board of Directors, The Voice Foundation
- President, American Laryngological Association, 2011-2012
- President, American Rhinologic Society, 1997 – 1998
- Editor-in-Chief, Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, 2000 – 2006
- Chairman, Board of Governors, 1996 – 1997
Vice-President, 1998 – 2000
Board of Directors, 1995 – 2006
American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Chairman, Board of Governors, Henry Ford Medical Group, 2007
- Treasurer, American Laryngological Association, 2007 – 2008
- Board of Directors, Ear Nose and Throat Nursing Foundation, 2004-2005
- President, Michigan Otolaryngological Society, 1995-1997
- Board of Directors, The Voice Foundation, 1996-2012
- Chairman, Sinus and Allergy Health Partnership, 2002-2004
- Medical Advisory Board, WebMD, 1999-2002
- Resident Review Committee for Otolaryngology, 1998-2003
- Delegate, house of Delegates, American Medical Association, 1998-2002
- Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
disorders of voice, laryngology, nasal-sinus disease and surgery
Awards & Honors
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, Case Western Reserve University, 1983
- First Place, Resident Essay Award. Benninger MS, Roberts JK, Tucker HM, Levine HL, Wood BG.& Squamous Cell CA of the Head and Neck in Patients 40 years of Age and Younger. Northeast Ohio Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery Society, May, 1987
- First Place, Resident Essay Award. Benninger MS, Levine HL, Sebek BA. Mucosal Regeneration of the Maxillary Sinus After Surgery. Northeast Ohio Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery Society, April, 1988
- Honorable Mention, Maurice H. Cottle Honor Award, Mucosal Regeneration of the Maxillary Sinus After Surgery. American Rhinologic Society, 1988
- Physicians Recognition Award, American Medical Association, 1991
- Teaching Award, Osler Institute - Otolaryngology Review Course, 1992
- Teaching Award, Osler Institute - Otolaryngology Review Course, 1993
- Recognition of Innovation in Medical Management. American College of Physician Executives, 1995
- Honor Award, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 1996
- Excellence in Research Award for Clinicians, BCBSM Foundation, 1996
- President's Award, Michigan State Medical Society, 1998
- Collegium Medicorum Theatri, 1999
- Golden Head Mirror Honor Award, Meritorious Sharing in the Service of Rhinology, American Rhinologic Society, 2000
- Distinguished Service Award, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 2001
- Richard D. Nichols Outstanding Residency Teaching Award, 2001
- Presidential Citation, American Rhinologic Society, 2004
- Distinguished Alumnus of the Year, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, 2008
- Distinguished Service Award, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 2008
- Special Recognition, The Ohio House of Representatives, 2009
- G. Paul Moore Lecturer, The Voice Foundation, 2009
- Citations Directory, Who's Who Among Rising Young Americans, 1990
- Citations Directory, Who's Who Among Rising Young Americans, 1991
- 2000 Notable American Men. The American Biographical Institute, 1991-1992
- Citations Directory, Who's Who Among Rising Young Americans, 1993
- 2000 Notable American Men, American Biographical Institute, 1994-1995
- Best Doctors in America (Midwest Region), 1996-1997
- Strathmore's Who's Who Honored Member, 1998-1999
- Best Doctors in America, National 4th listing, 1998
- Best Doctors in Michigan, 1998
- National Register's Who's Who in Executives and Businesses, 1999
- Top Doctors, Center for the Study of Services Consumer's Checkbook, 1999
- Strathmore's Who's Who Millennium Edition, 2000-2001
- Best Doctors in America, 2000
- Guide to Top Doctors, 2000
- Life Member of the National Registry of Who's Who, 2001
- America's Top Doctors, Castle Connolly, 2001
- Honored Member of Strathmore's Who's Who, 2001-2002 Edition
- Top Doctors, Guide to Top Doctors, Center for the Study of Services, 2002
- 2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 21st Century, 2002
- America's Top Doctors, Castle Connelly, 2002
- International Scientist of the Year, International Biographical Centre, 2002
- Strathmore's Who's Who, 2002-2003 Edition
- Who's Who in the 21st Century, International Biographical Center, 2002
- Who's Who in Executives and Business, Nationwide Register, 2002-2003
- Outstanding Scientists of the 21st Century, 1st Edition, International Biographical Centre, 2002
- Top Doctors, Consumer Checkbook, Center for Study of Services, 2002
- 2000 Eminent Scientists of Today, International Biographical Center, 2002
- Metro Detroit's Best Doctors, Hour Magazine, 2002
- 21st Century Award for Achievement, International Biographical Centre, 2002
- Marqui's Who's Who in America 2003
- America's Cosmetic Doctors and Dentists, Castle Connolly, 2003
- 1000 Great Scientists, IBC, 2003
- International Man of the Year 2003, International Biographical Centre, 2003
- Who's Who in Executives and Professionals, National Register, 2003
- Top Doctors, Consumer's Guide to Top Doctors, 2003
- Living Legends, International Biographical Centre, 2003
- America's Top Doctors, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., 2003
- Who's Who in America, Marquis Who's Who, 58th Edition, 2004
- Who's Who in Executives and Professionals, National Register, 2004-2005
- America's Top Doctors, Castle Connolly, 2004
- America's Cosmetic Doctors and Dentists, Castle Connolly, 2004
- Best 100 Doctor's, Hour Magazine, Detroit, August, 2004
- Best Doctor's in Michigan, 2004
- Who's Who in America, Marquis Who's Who, 59th Edition, 2005
- America's Top Doctors, Castle Connolly, 2005
- Best 100 Doctor's, Hour Magazine, Detroit, September, 2005
- 2005 Man of Achievement Award, American Biographical Institute, 2005
- International Professional of the Year, International Biographical Centre, 2005
- Best Doctors in America, Best Doctors, Inc. 2005-2006
- Who's Who in America, Marquis Who's Who, 60th Edition, 2006
- International Directory of Experts and Expertise, American Biographical Institute, 2006
- Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare, Marquis Who's Who, 2006-2007
- Who's Who in Executives and Professionals, Global Registry, 2006-2007
- Manchester Who's Who Among Executives and Professionals in Human Resources, 2005-2006
- International Health professional of the Year, International Biographical Centre, 2006
- Best Doctor's, Best of U.S., 2007
- Best Doctors in America, Best Doctors, Inc. 2007-2008
- Best Doctors, Hour Magazine, Detroit, 2007
- Best Doctors, Cleveland Magazine, 2008
- Best Doctors, Cleveland Magazine, 2009
- America's Top Doctors, Castle Connelly, 2009
- America's Top Physicians, Consumers Research Council of America, 2009
- Who's Who in America, Marquis Who's Who, 2010
- Best Doctors in America, Best Doctors, Inc. 2009-2010
- Who's Who in America, Marquis Who's Who, 2011
- Best Doctors in America, Best Doctors, Inc, 2011-2012
- Best Doctors, Cleveland Magazine, 2010
- America Top Doctors, Castle Connelly, 2011
- America Top Physicians, Consumer Research council of America, 2011
- US News and World Report Top Doctors (Top 1%), 2011
Innovations & Patents
- Microinstrumentation for laryngeal and vocal fold surgery
- American Academy of Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery, 1988
- American College of Surgeons (Fellow, 1991)
- American Medical Association, 1983
- American Rhinologic Society (Member, 1989; Fellow, 1995)
- Michigan Oto-Laryngological Society, 1988
- Michigan State Medical Society, 1988
- Oakland County Medical Society, 1988
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, 1983
- Southeastern Michigan Voice Study Group, 1988-1993
- United States Medical Triathlon Association, 1989-1994
- Henry Ford Hospital Medical Association, 1989
- Voice Foundation, 1990
- Association of Otolaryngology Administrators, 1991
- International Association of Phonosurgeons, 1992
- Association of Academic Departments of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 1992
- Northeastern Ohio Otolaryngologic Society - Honorary Member, 1993
- American College of Physician Executives, 1993
- Illinois Otolaryngologic - Ophthalmologic Society - Honorary Member, 1993
- Society of University Otolaryngologists, 1993
- American Head and Neck Society (formerly the American Society for Head and Neck Surgery) (Active Fellow) 1994
- The Triological Society (Fellow), 1998
- Colligium Medicorum Theatri, 1999
- American Laryngological Society (Active Fellow), 1999.
- American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy, Associate Member, 2003
- South African Society of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Honorary Member, 2010
Research & Publications
See publications for Michael Benninger, MD.
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 2/13/2023, Dr. Benninger has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
170 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.8|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.8|
36 Patient Comments
© 2023 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.
Reviewed on Feb 22, 2023
Dr. Michael Benninger is an excellent/outstanding physician. I travel quite frequently from Weston Florida to Cleveland Clinic (Main Campus) because I consider Dr. Benninger the best or among the very best specialist In vocal cords (I have seen more than a few). Through time we have developed a close and trusting relationship.
Reviewed on Feb 20, 2023
Dr Benninger and Dr Micklewright are AMAZING
Reviewed on Feb 15, 2023
Dr Benniger is so thorough and polite.He always explains his findings and truly cares about his patients and staff.He is a wonderful doctor and human being.
Reviewed on Feb 14, 2023
Dr Benninger is a great doctor.. I like him very well.
Reviewed on Jan 19, 2023
Dr B is very knowledgeable and professional.
Reviewed on Jan 16, 2023
Highly recommend Dr. Benninger and his staff.
Reviewed on Jan 10, 2023
Dr. Benninger listens and is very responsive to concerns.
Reviewed on Jan 10, 2023
It was very easy to communicate with Dr Benninger through the portal and all questions were answered in a timely manner.
Reviewed on Jan 9, 2023
One of the most through and relatable doctors I've ever visited.
Reviewed on Dec 21, 2022
Dr. Benninger & his staff are the best! Always!
Reviewed on Dec 16, 2022
Doctor seemed rushed and I felt he didn't have enough scheduled time to address my healthcare needs and questions. He seems very competent but overwhelmed with patient load.
Reviewed on Dec 14, 2022
Dr Benninger is never rushed and always calm and caring.
Reviewed on Dec 14, 2022
Dr Michell Benninger is an excellent care provider in all respect.
Reviewed on Dec 14, 2022
I travel from Weston Florida every quarter to see Dr Michell Benninger at Main Campus because he is one of the best doctors I have ever met. I cannot say the same thing about Cleveland Clinic at Weston even though some of my other physicians are there. I just go there for convenience
Reviewed on Dec 13, 2022
I have dealt with cancer twice over the last 15 years and I see several Drs. . Dr Benninger is very professional and at the same time very personal.. He takes the time to explain things In terms I can understand . When going through cancer treatments I was scared but felt confident with Dr Benninger and the way he walked me through everything on what to expect and I would highly recommend him to anyone needing an ENT .
Reviewed on Dec 13, 2022
Great doctor, great staff!!!
Reviewed on Dec 13, 2022
Dr. Benninger was very patient with me and took time to answer any question I had, and also explained very clearly to me what he checked for at time of visit.
Reviewed on Nov 2, 2022
Dr. Benninger is a great doctor, he is kind and caring. He makes me feel welcome and involves me in all my health care decisions. He is very personable and very easy to talk to. You can tell he really cares about his patients.
Reviewed on Oct 26, 2022
I find it frustrating that there doesn't seem to be any interest in uncovering what the root cause of my voice problems was or any concern about whether or not my voice will ever get back to normal. I will be going elsewhere for voice care from now on.
Reviewed on Oct 5, 2022
I've suffered with this vocal problem my whole life. Dr. Benniger was able to diagnose it and will solve it - I can't describe how grateful I feel to finally be exiting this problem
Reviewed on Sep 16, 2022
Dr Berringer was excellent !! Very , very caring to me and respectful to his staff .
Reviewed on Sep 7, 2022
Dr Benninger is the best.
Reviewed on Sep 2, 2022
I had very positive experience with Dr. Benninger. He holds a high standard of professionalism and knowledge!
Reviewed on Sep 2, 2022
Dr Benninger was extremely thorough and took the time to answer all of my questions.
Reviewed on Aug 31, 2022
Dr. Benninger is an excellent physician. Happy to be a patient of his.
Reviewed on Jul 27, 2022
I had no problems. Dr Benninger was very nice and so we're all the nurses and the help.
Reviewed on Jul 27, 2022
I would come back any time to the Cleveland Clinic and Dr Benninger.
Reviewed on Jul 21, 2022
Dr. Benninger really cares about his patients. I give his name out to anyone who needs to see an ENT.
Reviewed on Jul 14, 2022
Dr. & his staff are always very nice,& listen to my concerns & questions. Yes I would recommend him.
Reviewed on Jul 6, 2022
Dr Benninger and his "fellow" were very kind and encouraging.
Reviewed on Jun 24, 2022
I'm extremely impressed and satisfied wit Dr. Benninger and his staff.
Reviewed on Jun 24, 2022
Dr. Benninger is awesome.
Reviewed on Jun 15, 2022
Dr. Michael Benninger has been my ETN doctor (vocal cords surgeon) since the beggining of 2020. I live in Weston Florida and I have visited Cleveland Clinic Ohio (Main Campus) several times, and had two surgeries perfomed Dr. Benninger besides 5 or 6 persobal visits. He is an excelent doctor in all respects- I have dealt with dozens of physicians in my live and Dr. Benningger is the best of the best.
Reviewed on Jun 14, 2022
This is my second experience with Dr Michael Benninger, There is an 'art' to patient care, and Dr. Michael Benninger has mastered that 'art'. He has the ability to navigate the online Health Chart of the patient and at the same time make you aware that you are in his presence. I am aware of the tremendous pressure on HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS at this time of COVID, BUT NONE OF THIS WAS PASSED ON TO ME, THE patient. I was met with a thorough evaluation of my concerns and a follow up of future test and meds.The ''After Visit Summary'' was detailed and much appreciated. I REGRET THAT I AM UNABLE TO GET THIS QUALITY OF Medical CARE in CANTON WHERE I reside.
Reviewed on May 19, 2022
Dr. B. Was very informative, helpful , and explained everything. Then he discussed my options and helped me to determine the best course of action. He also scheduled me for Voice Therapy before I left the office.
Reviewed on May 18, 2022
Dr. Benninger and his staff are the very best. It takes us 4 and a half hours driving time to get to the clinic but the professionalism and care provided make it worth the time and effort. I highly recommend Cleveland Clinic to everyone I know.