Treatment & Services
- Clinical Trials
- Flexible Fiberoptic Laryngoscopy
- Flexible Fiberoptic Nasal Endoscopy
- General ENT
- Head and neck reconstructive surgery
- Laryngeal Electromyography
- Laryngeal Framework Surgery
- Laryngeal Function Assessment
- Laryngeal Physiology
- Laryngeal Sensory Testing
- Laryngeal Videostroboscopy
- Nasal Airway Surgery
- Nose/nasal Surgery
- Pituitary Surgery
- Sinus Surgery
- Surgical Management Of Chronic Sinus Disease
- Vocal Cord Paralysis Treatment
- Voice And Larynx Surgery
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Chronic Cough
- Difficulty with Vocal Range
- Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD)
- Granulomatosis with Polyangitis (Wegener’s)
- Hay Fever
- Immobile Vocal Folds
- Laryngeal Stenosis
- Laryngopharyngeal Reflux
- Nasal Cavity Cancer
- Nasal Congestion
- Nasal Obstruction
- Nasal Polyps
- Nasal-Sinus Disease
- Nose Or Nasal Problems
- Paranasal Sinus Disease
- Septal Deviation
- Sinonasal Disease
- Sinus Infections
- Smell And Taste Disorder
- Subglottic And Tracheal Stenosis
- Subglottic Stenosis
- Throat Problems
- Throat Symptoms from Reflux
- Tracheal Stenosis
- Vocal Cord Paralysis
- Vocal Fatigue
- Voice Disorders
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Residency - Cleveland Clinic
Otolaryngology and Communicative Disorders
Cleveland, OH USA
Internship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Medical Education - Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Cleveland, OH USA
Undergraduate - Harvard University
Cambridge, MA USA
- Chair, Cleveland Clinic Head & Neck Institute, 2008-2020
- President, International Association of Phonosurgery
- Treasurer, American Broncho-Esophagological Association
- Vice-President and member of the Board of Directors, The Voice Foundation
- President, American Laryngological Association, 2011-2012
- President, American Rhinologic Society, 1997 – 1998
- Editor-in-Chief, Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, 2000 – 2006
- Chairman, Board of Governors, 1996 – 1997
Vice-President, 1998 – 2000
Board of Directors, 1995 – 2006
American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Chairman, Board of Governors, Henry Ford Medical Group, 2007
- Treasurer, American Laryngological Association, 2007 – 2008
- Board of Directors, Ear Nose and Throat Nursing Foundation, 2004-2005
- President, Michigan Otolaryngological Society, 1995-1997
- Board of Directors, The Voice Foundation, 1996-2012
- Chairman, Sinus and Allergy Health Partnership, 2002-2004
- Medical Advisory Board, WebMD, 1999-2002
- Resident Review Committee for Otolaryngology, 1998-2003
- Delegate, house of Delegates, American Medical Association, 1998-2002
disorders of voice, laryngology, nasal-sinus disease and surgery
Awards & Honors
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, Case Western Reserve University, 1983
- First Place, Resident Essay Award. Benninger MS, Roberts JK, Tucker HM, Levine HL, Wood BG.& Squamous Cell CA of the Head and Neck in Patients 40 years of Age and Younger. Northeast Ohio Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery Society, May, 1987
- First Place, Resident Essay Award. Benninger MS, Levine HL, Sebek BA. Mucosal Regeneration of the Maxillary Sinus After Surgery. Northeast Ohio Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery Society, April, 1988
- Honorable Mention, Maurice H. Cottle Honor Award, Mucosal Regeneration of the Maxillary Sinus After Surgery. American Rhinologic Society, 1988
- Physicians Recognition Award, American Medical Association, 1991
- Teaching Award, Osler Institute - Otolaryngology Review Course, 1992
- Teaching Award, Osler Institute - Otolaryngology Review Course, 1993
- Recognition of Innovation in Medical Management. American College of Physician Executives, 1995
- Honor Award, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 1996
- Excellence in Research Award for Clinicians, BCBSM Foundation, 1996
- President's Award, Michigan State Medical Society, 1998
- Collegium Medicorum Theatri, 1999
- Golden Head Mirror Honor Award, Meritorious Sharing in the Service of Rhinology, American Rhinologic Society, 2000
- Distinguished Service Award, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 2001
- Richard D. Nichols Outstanding Residency Teaching Award, 2001
- Presidential Citation, American Rhinologic Society, 2004
- Distinguished Alumnus of the Year, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, 2008
- Distinguished Service Award, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 2008
- Special Recognition, The Ohio House of Representatives, 2009
- G. Paul Moore Lecturer, The Voice Foundation, 2009
- Citations Directory, Who's Who Among Rising Young Americans, 1990
- Citations Directory, Who's Who Among Rising Young Americans, 1991
- 2000 Notable American Men. The American Biographical Institute, 1991-1992
- Citations Directory, Who's Who Among Rising Young Americans, 1993
- 2000 Notable American Men, American Biographical Institute, 1994-1995
- Best Doctors in America (Midwest Region), 1996-1997
- Strathmore's Who's Who Honored Member, 1998-1999
- Best Doctors in America, National 4th listing, 1998
- Best Doctors in Michigan, 1998
- National Register's Who's Who in Executives and Businesses, 1999
- Top Doctors, Center for the Study of Services Consumer's Checkbook, 1999
- Strathmore's Who's Who Millennium Edition, 2000-2001
- Best Doctors in America, 2000
- Guide to Top Doctors, 2000
- Life Member of the National Registry of Who's Who, 2001
- America's Top Doctors, Castle Connolly, 2001
- Honored Member of Strathmore's Who's Who, 2001-2002 Edition
- Top Doctors, Guide to Top Doctors, Center for the Study of Services, 2002
- 2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 21st Century, 2002
- America's Top Doctors, Castle Connelly, 2002
- International Scientist of the Year, International Biographical Centre, 2002
- Strathmore's Who's Who, 2002-2003 Edition
- Who's Who in the 21st Century, International Biographical Center, 2002
- Who's Who in Executives and Business, Nationwide Register, 2002-2003
- Outstanding Scientists of the 21st Century, 1st Edition, International Biographical Centre, 2002
- Top Doctors, Consumer Checkbook, Center for Study of Services, 2002
- 2000 Eminent Scientists of Today, International Biographical Center, 2002
- Metro Detroit's Best Doctors, Hour Magazine, 2002
- 21st Century Award for Achievement, International Biographical Centre, 2002
- Marqui's Who's Who in America 2003
- America's Cosmetic Doctors and Dentists, Castle Connolly, 2003
- 1000 Great Scientists, IBC, 2003
- International Man of the Year 2003, International Biographical Centre, 2003
- Who's Who in Executives and Professionals, National Register, 2003
- Top Doctors, Consumer's Guide to Top Doctors, 2003
- Living Legends, International Biographical Centre, 2003
- America's Top Doctors, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., 2003
- Who's Who in America, Marquis Who's Who, 58th Edition, 2004
- Who's Who in Executives and Professionals, National Register, 2004-2005
- America's Top Doctors, Castle Connolly, 2004
- America's Cosmetic Doctors and Dentists, Castle Connolly, 2004
- Best 100 Doctor's, Hour Magazine, Detroit, August, 2004
- Best Doctor's in Michigan, 2004
- Who's Who in America, Marquis Who's Who, 59th Edition, 2005
- America's Top Doctors, Castle Connolly, 2005
- Best 100 Doctor's, Hour Magazine, Detroit, September, 2005
- 2005 Man of Achievement Award, American Biographical Institute, 2005
- International Professional of the Year, International Biographical Centre, 2005
- Best Doctors in America, Best Doctors, Inc. 2005-2006
- Who's Who in America, Marquis Who's Who, 60th Edition, 2006
- International Directory of Experts and Expertise, American Biographical Institute, 2006
- Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare, Marquis Who's Who, 2006-2007
- Who's Who in Executives and Professionals, Global Registry, 2006-2007
- Manchester Who's Who Among Executives and Professionals in Human Resources, 2005-2006
- International Health professional of the Year, International Biographical Centre, 2006
- Best Doctor's, Best of U.S., 2007
- Best Doctors in America, Best Doctors, Inc. 2007-2008
- Best Doctors, Hour Magazine, Detroit, 2007
- Best Doctors, Cleveland Magazine, 2008
- Best Doctors, Cleveland Magazine, 2009
- America's Top Doctors, Castle Connelly, 2009
- America's Top Physicians, Consumers Research Council of America, 2009
- Who's Who in America, Marquis Who's Who, 2010
- Best Doctors in America, Best Doctors, Inc. 2009-2010
- Who's Who in America, Marquis Who's Who, 2011
- Best Doctors in America, Best Doctors, Inc, 2011-2012
- Best Doctors, Cleveland Magazine, 2010
- America Top Doctors, Castle Connelly, 2011
- America Top Physicians, Consumer Research council of America, 2011
- US News and World Report Top Doctors (Top 1%), 2011
Innovations & Patents
- Microinstrumentation for laryngeal and vocal fold surgery
- American Academy of Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery, 1988
- American College of Surgeons (Fellow, 1991)
- American Medical Association, 1983
- American Rhinologic Society (Member, 1989; Fellow, 1995)
- Michigan Oto-Laryngological Society, 1988
- Michigan State Medical Society, 1988
- Oakland County Medical Society, 1988
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, 1983
- Southeastern Michigan Voice Study Group, 1988-1993
- United States Medical Triathlon Association, 1989-1994
- Henry Ford Hospital Medical Association, 1989
- Voice Foundation, 1990
- Association of Otolaryngology Administrators, 1991
- International Association of Phonosurgeons, 1992
- Association of Academic Departments of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 1992
- Northeastern Ohio Otolaryngologic Society - Honorary Member, 1993
- American College of Physician Executives, 1993
- Illinois Otolaryngologic - Ophthalmologic Society - Honorary Member, 1993
- Society of University Otolaryngologists, 1993
- American Head and Neck Society (formerly the American Society for Head and Neck Surgery) (Active Fellow) 1994
- The Triological Society (Fellow), 1998
- Colligium Medicorum Theatri, 1999
- American Laryngological Society (Active Fellow), 1999.
- American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy, Associate Member, 2003
- South African Society of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Honorary Member, 2010
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 3/14/2022, Dr. Benninger has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
165 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.8|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.8|
27 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Sep 7, 2022
Dr Benninger is the best.
Reviewed on Sep 2, 2022
Dr Benninger was extremely thorough and took the time to answer all of my questions.
Reviewed on Aug 31, 2022
Dr. Benninger is an excellent physician. Happy to be a patient of his.
Reviewed on Jul 27, 2022
I had no problems. Dr Benninger was very nice and so we're all the nurses and the help.
Reviewed on Jul 27, 2022
I would come back any time to the Cleveland Clinic and Dr Benninger.
Reviewed on Jul 21, 2022
Dr. Benninger really cares about his patients. I give his name out to anyone who needs to see an ENT.
Reviewed on Jul 14, 2022
Dr. & his staff are always very nice,& listen to my concerns & questions. Yes I would recommend him.
Reviewed on Jul 6, 2022
Dr Benninger and his "fellow" were very kind and encouraging.
Reviewed on Jun 24, 2022
I'm extremely impressed and satisfied wit Dr. Benninger and his staff.
Reviewed on Jun 24, 2022
Dr. Benninger is awesome.
Reviewed on Jun 15, 2022
Dr. Michael Benninger has been my ETN doctor (vocal cords surgeon) since the beggining of 2020. I live in Weston Florida and I have visited Cleveland Clinic Ohio (Main Campus) several times, and had two surgeries perfomed Dr. Benninger besides 5 or 6 persobal visits. He is an excelent doctor in all respects- I have dealt with dozens of physicians in my live and Dr. Benningger is the best of the best.
Reviewed on Jun 14, 2022
This is my second experience with Dr Michael Benninger, There is an 'art' to patient care, and Dr. Michael Benninger has mastered that 'art'. He has the ability to navigate the online Health Chart of the patient and at the same time make you aware that you are in his presence. I am aware of the tremendous pressure on HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS at this time of COVID, BUT NONE OF THIS WAS PASSED ON TO ME, THE patient. I was met with a thorough evaluation of my concerns and a follow up of future test and meds.The ''After Visit Summary'' was detailed and much appreciated. I REGRET THAT I AM UNABLE TO GET THIS QUALITY OF Medical CARE in CANTON WHERE I reside.
Reviewed on May 19, 2022
Dr. B. Was very informative, helpful , and explained everything. Then he discussed my options and helped me to determine the best course of action. He also scheduled me for Voice Therapy before I left the office.
Reviewed on May 18, 2022
Dr. Benninger and his staff are the very best. It takes us 4 and a half hours driving time to get to the clinic but the professionalism and care provided make it worth the time and effort. I highly recommend Cleveland Clinic to everyone I know.
Reviewed on Apr 20, 2022
Quick good service the doctors were very kind puntuale on the clock, took their time to listen about my problem, and explaining in details and easy to understand about the problem I had
Reviewed on Apr 19, 2022
This doctor was there for other reason but provided a service that was needed for me:
Reviewed on Mar 22, 2022
Outstanding physician. Good rapport. Always exhibits concern for any problems. Easy to talk with. Thoroughly explains findings and recommendations.
Reviewed on Feb 23, 2022
Doctor was top notch and fully explained any concern
Reviewed on Feb 23, 2022
Dr. Benniger and his staff are second to none, in my opinion. The Dr. Is not only exceptional at his specialty, but he is very much a humble gentleman.We can all learn from people like Dr. Benniger.Thank you Clevelad Clinic for choosing such wonderful doctors like Dr. Benniger!
Reviewed on Jan 25, 2022
Very good ,Dr. Benninger was very thorough about my situations very pleased.
Reviewed on Jan 25, 2022
Dr Benninger and the entire team I saw that day was wonderful. Warm, knowledgeable and compassionate
Reviewed on Jan 13, 2022
Dr. Barringer was very nice.& thorough. He listened to me & didn't rush me. I would recommend him,& continue to see him.
Reviewed on Dec 8, 2021
Dr. Benninger is very knowledgeable, personable and a joy to work with. I felt in great hands!
Reviewed on Dec 1, 2021
Dr Berringer has excellent knowledge and bedside manners . I was really pleased with the result of my visit .
Reviewed on Nov 3, 2021
As expected, Dr. Benninger was very knowledgeable and professional. He was patient and thorough in his exam and was attentive to my problem. He followed up and assisted me in getting the appropriate therapy. As a health care provider myself, I can certainly say he puts our profession in the best of light.
Reviewed on Oct 20, 2021
We REALLY like Dr Benniinger and his staff.
Reviewed on Oct 8, 2021
Very good... Very helpful and help me get scheduled with another dr for a different medical treatment needed!!
© 2022 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.