Treatment & Services
- Diabetic Eye Examinations
- Laser For Diabetic Retinopathy
- Laser Treatment Of Retinal Disease
- Macular Degeneration Evaluations
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Age-Related Macular Degeneration
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Macular Hole
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Wills Eye Hospital
Philadelphia, PA USA
Residency - Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD USA
Medical Education - Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Baltimore, MD USA
Undergraduate - Princeton University
Princeton, NJ USA
- Editor, Ophthalmology, the journal of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Editor, Medical Retina and Oncology volumes, Ryan's Retina, 4th Ed., Mosby, 2006
- Past Secretary for Quality of Care, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Past Chair, Preferred Practice Panel Committee, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Past Chair, Retina Panel, Preferred Practice Panel Committee, AAO
age-related macular degeneration, clinical trials, Diabetic retinopathy
Awards & Honors
- Former Karl Hagen Professor of Ophthalmology, Johns Hopkins University
- Long record of grants/research funding
- Included in various "best" lists Princeton University:Summa cum laude (chemistry)
- Sigma Xi
- William Foster Memorial Prize
- Merck Index Award Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine:Phi Beta Kappa
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- USPHS NIH Research Grant recipient Wills Fellowship:Heed Ophthalmic Foundation Fellowship, 1982-1983
- Heed-Knapp Fellowship, 1983 Miscellaneous Awards:American Academy of Ophthalmology Senior Honor Award, 1998
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Honor Award, 1989
Innovations & Patents
- Has been a principal investigator in most studies that have led to new FDA-approved therapies for age-related macular degeneration.
- Board of Trustees, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Macula Society
- Retina Society
- American Society of Retina Specialists
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 9/29/2019, Dr. Schachat has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
211 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.8|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.8|
14 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Nov 20, 2019
Dr. Schachat and his staff are very knowledgeable and caring.
Reviewed on Oct 9, 2019
Excellent care over the years from Dr. Schachat. Excellent communication and explanations. His assistants are excellent too: Dr. Park and his assessment nurse
Reviewed on Oct 4, 2019
TRUE PRIVLAGE TO BE ABLE TO HAVE DR. SCHACHAT EXAM MY EYES.
Reviewed on Oct 4, 2019
Dr. Schachat and his staff were very professional.
Reviewed on Sep 20, 2019
excellent doctor. smart and related very well. the fellow who examined me before was very thorough and easy to talk to. highly recommend the doctor
Reviewed on Sep 18, 2019
I'm very lucky to have someone of Dr. Schackat's caliber/expertise caring for my retinal issues. He's very approachable and has my trust.
Reviewed on Jul 24, 2019
The doctor was great but atmosphere way too clinical.
Reviewed on Jun 26, 2019
he's a good dr with a bit more formality than I like. but I'm very happy with him
Reviewed on Apr 19, 2019
Great overall experience with staff and doctor!
Reviewed on Apr 19, 2019
Have already been telling people about the issue with my vision and how happy I was with the Clinic, staff, and doctor. We are so fortunate to live in the same city as this wonderful facility!
Reviewed on Apr 5, 2019
*Dr. Schachat was very good - The fellow was outstanding!!
Reviewed on Mar 20, 2019
Dr Andrew Schachat is the most professional M.D. that I have ever experienced.
Reviewed on Mar 18, 2019
Dr. Schachat is a highly professional person whose interest in the patient's continued eye health is indicative in his answers to patient's questions and in his explicit recommendations.
Reviewed on Mar 15, 2019
I was very favorably impressed with my care provider. The Fellow and Doctor provided me with exactly the information I needed to understand my condition.
© 2020 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.