Treatment & Services
- Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS)
- Gamma Knife Treatment
- Intrathecal Baclofen Pump
- Microvascular Decompression
- Neurological Surgery
- Occipital Nerve Stimulation
- Peripheral Nerve Stimulators
- Spinal Cord Stimulation
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Back Pain in Athletes
- Cancer Pain
- Central Pain Syndrome
- Chronic Back Pain
- Chronic Neuropathic Pain
- Essential Tremor Resources
- Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
- Myofascial Pain Syndrome
- Occipital Neuralgia
- Parkinson's Disease
- Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)
- Tardive Dyskinesia
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Graduate - University of Sao Paulo Faculty of Medicine
Residency - University of Sao Paulo Hospitals and Clinics
Internship - Universidade de Sao Paulo
Medical School - University of Sao Paulo Faculty of Medicine
Stereotactic and functional neurosurgery, surgery for Parkinson's Disease, movement disorders and deep brain stimulation, surgical management of chronic pain, conditions including spinal cord stimulation, deep brain stimulation for pain, psychiatric disorders and emerging applications
Awards & Honors
- Gildenberg Award in Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
Innovations & Patents
- Preclinical research on deep-brain stimulation for rehabilitation of motor function following strokes
- First randomized clinical trial of deep brain stimulation for thalmic pain syndrome
- Research in new devices for deep brain stimulation
- Research in new devices for neuromodulation, invasive and non-invasive
- Emerging applications of deep brain stimulation including psychiatric disorders and traumatic brain injury
- Intraluminal electrode assembly. US 7,532,938
- Methods of treating medical conditions by neuromodulation of the cerebellar pathways. US 7,640,063
- Methods of treating neurological conditions by neuromodulation of interhemispheric fibers. US 7,697,991
- Corpus Callosum Neuromodulation Assembly. US 7,725,196
- Method and system for treating acute heart failure by neuromodulation. US 8,818,501
- Methods and systems of achieving hemodynamic control through neuromodulation. 20060100667
- Systems and methods for neuromodulation using pre-recorded waveforms. 20080208284
- Methods and apparatus for securing a neuromodulation lead to nervous system tissue or tissue surrounding the nervous system. 2009007644
- Corpus Callosum Neuromodulation Method. US 8.942,812
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 10/26/2017, Dr. Machado has reported the financial relationships with the companies listed below. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Consulting and/or Speaking. Dr. Machado receives fees of $5,000 or more per year as a paid consultant, speaker or member of an advisory committee for the following companies:
- St. Jude Medical, Inc.
Right to Future Distribution of Cleveland Clinic Financial Interest. Dr. Machado may receive future financial benefits from the Cleveland Clinic for inventions or discoveries commercialized through the companies shown below:
- Enspire DBS
- Autonomic Technologies, Inc.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
39 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Knows Medical History||4.7|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.8|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.8|
5 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Jun 14, 2018
*Dr. Muchado excellent in skill & bedside manner.
Reviewed on May 30, 2018
I have been dx with a rare disorder, CRPS. Dr Machado clearly went out of his way to ensure I understood both my condition and my path to wellness. it's absolutely incredible that such an educated, busy man can slow down and meet me at my level to explain everything clearly, ease my fears, show respect for my obvious pain level, and discuss this with me like I was his own family member. This includes fully respecting my Atlanta based physicians yet still showing concern for a prescription one of my doctor's gave me. I have now returned to Atlanta with the fullest confidence in my home based doctorsand feel secure in knowing I've definitely got a handle on my health.Dr Machado comfirmed a dx I had just been given and he made sure I understood the path I have in front of me. I feel so badly for other people with this condition who do not have access to such excellent care.
Reviewed on Jan 24, 2018
*Dr. Machado and *John Orzinga are a great team!
Reviewed on Sep 11, 2017
Reviewed on Sep 11, 2017
© 2018 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.