Treatment & Services
- Acute Postoperative Pain Management
- Celiac Plexus Block
- Cervical, Thoracic And Lumbar Epidural Injections
- Cervical, Thoracic And Lumbar Facet Joint Blocks
- Cervical, Thoracic And Lumbar Radiofrequency Ablation
- Comprehensive Pain Management
- Diagnostic Epidural Differential Blocks
- Epidural Steroid Injection
- Facet Median Nerve Branch Block
- Implantable Intrathecal Drug Delivery Systems
- Implantable Spinal Cord Stimulaters Therapy
- Intradiscal Intervention (idet, Biacculoplasty)
- Intradiscal Procedure For Pain Relief
- Intrathecal Baclofen Pump
- Joint Injections
- Management of Back and Neck Pain
- Occipital Nerve Block
- Occipital Nerve Stimulation
- Pain Management
- Pain Medicine
- Peripheral Nerve Blocks
- Placement Of Cervical And Lumbar Tunneled Epidural Catheters
- Regional Anesthesia
- Second Opinion Neuropathic Pain
- Selective Nerve Root Injection
- Spinal Cord Stimulation
- Splanchenic Nerve Block
- Sympathetic Nerve Blocks
- Trigeminal Nerve Radiofrequency Ablation
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Abdominal Pain
- Back Pain
- Back Pain in Athletes
- Cancer Pain
- Central Pain Syndrome
- Cervical and Lumbar Degenerative Disc Disease
- Chronic Back Pain
- Chronic Myofascial Pain (CMP)
- Chronic Neuropathic Pain
- Cluster Headaches
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Facet Joint Syndrome
- Herniated Disc
- Interstitial Cystitis | Pelvic Pain
- Knee Injuries
- Knee Pain
- Lateral Epicondylitis/tennis Elbow
- Musculoskeletal Pain
- Myofascial Pain Syndrome
- Neck Pain
- Nerve Injuries
- Neuropathic Pain
- Neuropathy - Diabetic
- Occipital Headache
- Orofacial Pain
- Painful Joints
- Painful Peripheral Neuropathies
- Pediatric Pain
- Pelvic Pain
- Peripheral Artery Disease
- Raynaud's Phenomenon
- Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: How to Treat
- Shingles (Varicella-Zoster Virus)
- Spinal Fractures
- Spine Pain
- Stenosis - Spinal
- Temporomandibular Disorders
- Tension Headaches
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Vertebral Compression Fracture
- Vulvar Pain Syndromes
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Massachusetts General Hospital
Boston, MA USA
Residency - University of Louisville Hospital
Louisville, KY USA
Internship - University of Louisville Hospital
Louisville, KY USA
Medical Education - University of Guelph
biophysics and neuroscience
Residency - Qingdao Medical College
Medical Education - Qingdao Medical College
Bachelor of Medicine
- Leading in Healthcare Leadership Class, Cleveland Clinic Academy and Board of Governors, Cleveland, Ohio, 08/2009-05/2010. A 10-month course focusing on leadership in healthcare, human resource management, emotional intelligence, finances, marketing, organizational culture and team building.
- Program Director Certification Program, Cleveland Clinic Education Institute, Department of Faculty Development, 09/2011-05/2012. Certification of Distinguished Development Award, September of 2013.
- PhD, biophysics, Interdepartmental Group of Biophysics and Department of Human Biology, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada, 1991-1995
- Postdoctoral Fellow, electrophysiology of neurons: cell membrane and receptors, Department of Physiology/Spinal Cord Research Centre, University of Manitoba Faculty of Medicine, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, 1995-1996
- Postdoctoral Fellow, neural control of locomotion: neural networks and therapeutic strategies, Division of Neuroscience/Department of Physiology, University of Alberta Faculty of Medicine, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, 1996-1998
- President of the American Academy of Pain Medicine (2018~-2019)
- Member, US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Pain Management Best Practices Inter-agency Task Force (PMTF Feb 21, 2018-2019)
- Member of National Academy of Medicine Action Collaborative on Countering the US Opioid Epidemic, 2018-2022.
- Member of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Expert Work Group (EWG) on the development of the measure evaluating potential opioid overuse. 2016-2021.
- Chairman, USA Section of World Institute of Pain (2013-2015).
- Board of Directors, American Academy of Pain Medicine (AAPM) (2014-2020)
- Board of Directors, American Academy of Regenerative Medicine (AARM) (2016~)
- Academy of Medicine of Cleveland & Northern Ohio (AMCNO), 2019-2021.
- Senior Editor/Section Editor, Pain Medicine (Official Journal of American Academy of Pain Medicine), 2015-present)
- Associate Editor, Pain Practice (Official Journal of World Institute of Pain) (2011-2017)
- Scientific Advisory Board, the Association of University Anesthesiologists (AUA) (2015-2018).
- Board of Directors, American Academy of Pain Medicine (AAPM) (2013-present).
- Chairman, AAPM Scientific Review/Clinical Guideline Committee (2011-present).
- Member of National Institutes of Health Study sections/Grant review committee (National Institutes of Health Special Emphasis Panel/Scientific Review Group.
- Expert Reviewer of grant applications to the US Army Medical Research and Material Command, the Scientific Peer Advisory and Review Services division of the American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS).
- Published more than 260 research papers, reviews, book chapters, and abstracts.
- Received research grants of more than $4 million from the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Defense, the Lisa Dean Moseley Foundation, and other funding agencies.
- Executive Board Member, Association of Pain Program Directors (2013-2016).
- Committee Member, American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) Committee on Pain Medicine (2013-2017)
- Committee Member, ASA Educational Track Subcommittee on Pain Medicine (2014~).
- Pain Medicine Examination Committee, American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA), the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (ABPMR), and the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN), (2013-2018)
- Examiner, World Institute of Pain, Fellow of Interventional Pain Physicians Board of Examination.
- Previously worked or studied in Harvard University, University of Louisville, University of Alberta, University of Manitoba, University of Guelph, and Qingdao University.
- Trained more than 180 postdoctoral fellows, clinical fellows, and clinical research fellows.
- Received more than 60 honors and awards from institutions, societies, and government agencies.
- Anesthesiology - Pain Medicine
abdominal and pelvic pain, Abdominal Pain, abdominal pain and spinal cord stimulation for chronic pain, acute postoperative pain management, anesthesia for orthopedic surgery, back, back neuropathic, Back Pain, back/neck pain, cancer pain, CRP, complex regional pain syndrome, evaluation of back and neck pain, headache and orofacial pain, Headaches, interventional pain management, interventional pain management for back and neck pain, Low Back Pain, management of chronic pain, Neck Pain, neuromodulation, neuropathic, neuropathic pain, pain, pain management, pain management including spine, Pediatric Pain, pelvic pain, reflex sympathetic dystrophy, regional anesthesia, research, spinal cord stimulation, spine, spine pain
Awards & Honors
- Cheng was recognized by Best Doctors in America (Best Doctors Inc.), 70 Best Pain Management Physicians in the US (Becker's ASC Review), and Top Doctors (International Association of Anesthesiologists), one of 25 Great Physicians in Ohio (Becker's Review), and one of Top 10 Anesthesiologists in Cleveland (Vitals). He has received Life-time Achievement Award (Marquis Who's Who, 2018), Patients' Choice Awards for 5 consecutive years (Vitals), Most Compassionate Doctor Award (Vitals), among more than 60 honors from academic, societal, and governmental agencies. His achievements in education have been commended by the ACGME and the Cleveland Clinic Education Institute and recognized by a Certification of Distinguished Development from the Cleveland Clinic. His pain fellowship program is the recipient of American Academy of Pain Medicine Pain Medicine Fellowship Excellence Award. He was recognized as Staff of the Year Award, Pain Medicine, and Best Teacher Award, Department of Pain Management, Anesthesiology Institute, and the Cleveland Clinic
Clinical Achievement Award, announced by Dr. Toby Cosgrove,the President and CEO of Cleveland Clinic Foundation, in his 2012 State ofthe Cleveland Clinic Address.
Innovations & Patents
- Dr. Cheng holds two US patents and two technology transfers/licensing. He is recipient of the Cleveland Clinic 2012 and 2007 Inventor Awards for his achievements in effectively treating back pain generated from the sacroiliac joint and his innovations of stem cell therapy for chronic pain and opioid tolerance. He is also the inventor of a wheelchair powered by electrical stimulation of paralyzed leg muscles, designed for patients with spinal cord injury and the elderly.
- Association of University Anesthesiologists (AUA)
- American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA)
- American Academy of Pain Medicine (AAPM)
- International Association for the Study of Pain
- Society for Neuroscience (SFN)
- World Institute of Pain (WIP)
- Association of Pain Program Directors (APPD)
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 2/1/2022, Dr. Cheng has reported the financial relationships with the companies listed below. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Royalty Payments. Dr. Cheng receives or has the right to receive royalty payments for inventions or discoveries commercialized through the companies shown below:
- Boston Scientific Corporation
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
42 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.7|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.7|
4 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Sep 7, 2022
Dr. Cheng was excellent. I was impressed by his knowledge about me and the appropriate diagnosis. He clearly explained everything to me.
Reviewed on Jul 13, 2022
Dr. Synder's professionalism and care was EXCELLENT! I felt throughly confident with him while he was administering my Trigger Point injections.
Reviewed on Mar 9, 2022
Dr Page was very thorough and respectful Dr Cheng listened and was Informative
Reviewed on Jan 5, 2022
Very smooth and the Dr explained very well
© 2022 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.