Michael Kattan, Ph.D.
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Medical Education - University of Houston
Management of Information Systems
Houston, TX USA
Graduate School - University of Arkansas, Fayetteville
Computer Information Systems/Quantitative Analysis
Fayetteville, AR USA
Undergraduate - University of Arkansas, Fayetteville
Fayetteville, AR USA
Decision analysis, medical decision making, patient preferences, prediction, quality of life assessment, comparative effectiveness
Awards & Honors
- The Eugene L. Saenger Award for Distinguished Service to Society of Medical Decision Making (2008)
- The John M. Eisenberg Award for Practical Application of Medical Decision Making Research from the Society for Medical Decision Making (2013)
Innovations & Patents
- Patents Awarded:
- A Nomogram to Aid in the Decision to Treat Clinically Localized Prostate Cancer. 1999, US Patent No: 5,993,388
- "Nomograms to Aid in the Treatment of Prostatic Cancer." 2002, US Patent No: 6,409,664
- Patents Published:
- Method to determine outcome for patients with prostatic disease. 2003, US Patent Publication Number: 20030235816
- Methods to predict death from breast cancer. 2005, US Patent Publication Number: 20050019798
- Methods to predict additional nodal metastases in breast cancer patients. 2005, US Patent Publication Number: 20050282146
- Method to predict prostate cancer. 2005, US Patent Publication Number: 20050282199
- Method to predict positive repeat prostate biopsy. 2007, US Patent Publication Number: 20070111269
- Method to predict risk of BPH progression. 2007, US Patent Publication Number: 20070134725
- Interactive Visualization for Healthcare. 2012, US Patent Publication Number: 20120290323.
- Predictive Modeling. 2012, US Patent Publication Number: 20120271612.
- Graphical Tool for Managing a Longitudinal Patient Episode. 2013, US Patent Publication Number: 20130132117.
- System, Method and Graphical User Interface to Facilitate Accurate Problem-Oriented Medical Charting. 2013, US Patent Publication Number 20130212508.
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 6/11/2021, Dr. Kattan has reported the financial relationships with the companies listed below. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Consulting and/or Speaking. Dr. Kattan receives fees of $5,000 or more per year as a paid consultant, speaker or member of an advisory committee for the following companies:
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Viosera Therapeutics, Inc.
- RenalytixAI, plc
- Stratify Genomics, Inc.
Royalty Payments. Dr. Kattan receives or has the right to receive royalty payments for inventions or discoveries commercialized through the companies shown below:
Right to Future Distribution of Cleveland Clinic Financial Interest. Dr. Kattan may receive future financial benefits from the Cleveland Clinic for inventions or discoveries commercialized through the companies shown below:
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.