Treatment & Services
- Administration Of Injectable Medications For Osteoporosis
- Adult Rheumatology
- Arthritic Knee Conditions
- Blood Tests
- Bone Density Testing
- Clinical Trials
- Cortisone injections
- Diagnosis of Osteoporosis
- Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry (DXA)
- General Rheumatology
- General Rheumatology including Lupus
- Hyaluronic acid (HA)
- Hyaluronic acid injections
- Immunoglobulin Infusion
- Infusion Therapy
- Infusions Of Biologic Agents On Site
- Joint Aspiration
- Joint Injections
- Joint Preservation Center
- Medical Management of Early Osteoarthritis
- Medication Management
- Musculoskeletal Evaluation
- Musculoskeletal Medicine
- Musculoskeletal Treatment For Joint Pain
- Therapeutic Injections
- Ultrasound-guided Procedures
- Viscosupplementation Injections
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- AIDS & HIV
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Antiphospholipid Syndrome
- Arthritic Knee Problems
- Arthritis of the Foot and Ankle
- Arthritis Of The Hip
- Arthritis Of The Knee
- Arthritis of the Thumb Base
- Arthritis of the Wrist & Hand
- Autoimmune Disease
- Autoinflammatory Syndromes
- Behcet's Disease
- Benign Hypermobility Joint Syndrome
- Buerger's Disease
- Calcification Tendinitis
- Central Nervous System Vasculitis
- Chondrocalcinosis (Pseudo Gout)
- Churg-Strauss Syndrome
- Connective Tissue Diseases
- Connective Tissue Disorders
- Elbow Arthritis
- Familial Mediterranean Fever
- Familial Mediterranean Fever (FMF) Syndrome
- Foot & Ankle Arthritis
- Giant Cell Arteritis
- Gout Arthritis
- Granulomatosis with Polyangitis (Wegener’s)
- Hand and Wrist Arthritis
- Hand Pain
- Hand Problems
- Henoch Schonlein Purpura
- Hip Arthritis
- Hip Disorders
- Hip Pain
- Inflammatory Arthritis
- Joint Pain
- Knee Arthritis
- Knee Joint Disorders
- Knee Pain
- Lupus Anticoagulant
- Lupus Nephritis
- Metabolic Bone Disease
- Metabolic Diseases
- Microscopic Polyangiitis (MPA)
- Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Musculoskeletal Impairments
- Musculoskeletal Pain
- Osteoarthritis Of The Hips And Knees In The Elderly
- Osteoporosis in Men
- Osteoporosis Related to Cancer
- Paget's Disease
- Painful Joints
- Palindromic Rheumatism
- Polumyalgia Rheumatica
- Psoriatic Arthritis
- Raynaud's Phenomenon
- Reactive Arthritis
- Relapsing Polychondritis
- Retroperitoneal Fibrosis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis and Heart Disease
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: How to Treat
- Shoulder Arthritis
- Shoulder Pain
- Sjogren's Syndrome
- Steroid-Induced Osteoporosis
- Systemic Autoimmune Diseases
- Systemic Lupus
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Trigger Finger
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - University Hospitals of Cleveland
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - Mount Sinai Medical Center (Closed)
Cleveland, OH USA
Internship - Mount Sinai Medical Center (Closed)
Cleveland, OH USA
Medical Education - Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Cleveland, OH USA
Undergraduate - Kirkland College
Clinton, NY USA
- Harvard-Macy Program for Educators in the Health Professions January -May 2008
- International Society for Clinical Densitometry Certification
- Chair, Department of Rheumatic and Immunologic Diseases, Cleveland Clinic
- Interim Chair, Department of Rheumatic and Immunologic Diseases, Cleveland Clinic
- Vice Chair for Education, Orthopaedic and Rheumatology Institute, Cleveland Clinic
- Recipient, Clinical Scholar Education Award, American College of Rheumatology, Research and Education Foundation
- Member, Committee on Training and Workforce, American College of Rheumatology
- Chair, Subcommittee of the Academic Workforce, America College of Rheumatology
- Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
metabolic bone diseases, Osteoporosis
Awards & Honors
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, 1979.
- Alice Paige Cleveland Award for "Outstanding Leadership Qualities," CWRU School of Medicine 1979.
- Selected for inclusion in Best Doctors in America. Woodward/White, Inc. August, 1998, 2000, 2001-2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009.
- Selected for inclusion in Guide to Top Doctors. Center for the Study of Services. 1998, 2001.
- Selected Participant in the Harvard Macy Institute's Program for Educators in the Healthcare Professions. Cambridge, Massachusetts, January - May 2008
- Interim Chair, Department of Rheumatic and Immunologic Diseases-5/08 to present.
- American College of Rheumatology Research and Education Foundation Clinical Scholar Educator Award 7/08 -6/10.
- American College of Rheumatology
- International Society of Clinical Densitometry
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 7/29/2020, Dr. Abelson has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
116 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||5|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.9|
24 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Nov 19, 2020
I would rather an inperson appt but felt much safer this way. It is always a pleasure to see Dr. Abelson
Reviewed on Nov 2, 2020
dr Abelson always asks probing questions and recommends good follow up ie labs, other tests, referrals.
Reviewed on Oct 26, 2020
Dr. Abelson is extremely competent and explains things very well.
Reviewed on Oct 20, 2020
Dr. Abby Abelson is an amazing doctor! So knowledgeable and so caring. I am so fortunate to have her as my doctor.
Reviewed on Oct 5, 2020
Dr. Abelson is always very thorough in eliciting a history. She dis not come into the appointment with a set treatment plan but discussed all the options with me.
Reviewed on Sep 10, 2020
Dr. Abelson always goes above and beyond any expectations. she is amazing.
Reviewed on Aug 3, 2020
Excellent doctor! Very professional & knowledgeable.
Reviewed on Jul 30, 2020
Dr Abelson was was prompt and prepared for the visit. She shared her concerns and suggestions for treatment, and listened to my concerns before sharing future care.
Reviewed on Jul 30, 2020
Dr Abelson and her staff were excellent.
Reviewed on Jul 23, 2020
It is very difficult to get a return call from the doctor. Not sure if she's getting the messages, not connected to direct office.
Reviewed on Jul 20, 2020
Dr.Abelson is the best doc in your entire system!
Reviewed on Jul 13, 2020
Dr. Abelson was wonderful.
Reviewed on Jun 18, 2020
I have nothing but good things to say about my care provider but DID NOT need to have a conversation with her, just an answer to a question, using My Chart. why have my chart if it turns out not an option?
Reviewed on May 14, 2020
I have already have recommended her to other people. I think Dr Abelson is a wonderful Doctor.
Reviewed on May 11, 2020
excellent appointment. Dr Abelson is an extraordinary kind and thorough Doctor as well as being a brilliant Doctor
Reviewed on May 11, 2020
excellent Doctor, Excellent experience. I recommend Dr. Abelson to everyone
Reviewed on Apr 30, 2020
Fabulous visit with an incredible doctor. I was surprised at how easy it was to get in to see her virtually - the virtual visit was ideal for taking a medical history.
Reviewed on Apr 27, 2020
Dr. Abelson is fantastic!
Reviewed on Apr 23, 2020
Dr. Abby Abelson is amazing. Her communication skills and diagnostic skills are what every patient hopes for when you have a medical issue that needs to be addressed.
Reviewed on Apr 15, 2020
Dr Abby Abelson is an asset to the Cleveland Clinic. She is caring, intelligent, and easy to talk to. She takes into account all aspects of me as a person, not just a part. I thank her for listening and taking good care of me and all her patients. Hope we find a vaccine to this dreaded virus and we will be able to continue with our lives.
Reviewed on Apr 13, 2020
I am very glad to have this capability to see my doctor. It worked great!
Reviewed on Feb 18, 2020
best physician I have ever had (and I've had many)
Reviewed on Jan 27, 2020
Outstanding care by the supporting staff and my doctor.
Reviewed on Jan 23, 2020
Dr Abelson was very personable and spent an hour with me. She explained everything thoroughly and did not seem to be in a hurry or rushed. I was very pleased. She was very easy to talk to.
© 2021 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.