Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Mayo Clinic
Adult & Pediatric Gastroentero
Rochester, MN USA
Residency - Medical College of Ohio Hospitals
Toledo, OH USA
Internship - Medical College of Ohio Hospitals
Toledo, OH USA
Medical Education - MetroHealth Medical Center
Cleveland, OH USA
Medical Education - Tishreen University Faculty of Medicine
- Mayo Clinic Scholar 1996-1997
- Chairman, Global Patient Services
- Mikati Foundation Endowed Chair in Liver Diseases and Transplantation
- Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
Liver disease, liver transplantation, cirrhosis, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, portal hypertension, Wilson's disease, hemochromatosis, autoimmune hepatitis, cholangitis, Budd Chiari, diagnostic and therapeutic EGD (upper endoscopy) and colonoscopy. Medical school education.
Awards & Honors
- Medical College of Ohio most outstanding resident award 1992
- Mayo Clinic J Arnold Bargen Award for outstanding achievement in Gastroenterology training 1996
- American Liver Foundation Scholar Award 1997
- Innovator Award, Cleveland Clinic 2004
- Physician of the Year, Cleveland Clinic International Center 2005
- Innovator Award, cleveland Clinic 2006
- Academic Achievement Award, Syrian American Medical Society 2007
- Mikati Foundation Endowed Chair in Liver Diseases and Transplantation 2007
- Top Doctors in Cleveland, Cleveland Magazine 2007
- Teacher of the year, Cleveland Clinic 2008
Innovations & Patents
- NS5 and Core proteins in inducing protective antibodies, MMV # 99-073
- Inhaled liposomal IL-2 in the treatment of chronic HCV infection, MMV # 01-022
- Etanercept as an adjuvant to interferon and ribavirin for patients with chronic hepatitis C infection, MMV # 03-07
- A novel assay using ascetic fluid Lactoferrin to diagnose spontaneous bacterial peritonitis and other bacterial infections in patients with liver cirrhosis (CCF, 2004)
- Non-invasive diagnostic test (serum cytokeratin-18) for patients with suspected nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (serial # 60/801,728)
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Gastroenterology Association
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- Syrian-American Medical Society
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 8/7/2020, Dr. Zein has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
67 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern
|Patient Rating of Doctor
4 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Jan 4, 2024
Dr Nizar has great bedside manners. He Is Very knowledgeable of the field and answers all your questions as well as being thorough checking your history as well as test, procedures, etc, neededz
Reviewed on Oct 19, 2023
The doctor asked his questions respectfully and listened to my answers carefully.
Reviewed on Sep 13, 2023
I was very impressed with this doctor. I felt I was in good hands. I appreciated that he talked to my husband once I was back in the prep area to alleviate any concerns he might have had and also came back and talked to me when I was awake. Very kind man.
Reviewed on Aug 16, 2023
I had an appointment with Dr.Zein because Dr. Sobia Lique called in sick. I was so pleased with him and he accepted me as a patient in the future. Very knowledgeable and great bedside manner.
© 2024 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.