Treatment & Services
- Bariatric Operations
- Bariatric Surgery
- Complex Abdominal Hernia Repair
- Endoscopic Procedures
- Endoscopy of the Gastrointestinal Tract
- Esophageal Motility Testing
- Gastric Bypass Surgery for Weight Loss
- Gastric Bypass Surgery with Focus on Reflux Disease
- Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Hernia Surgery
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
- Laparoscopic Hernia Surgery
- Laparoscopic Incisional Hernia Repair
- Laparoscopic Inguinal Hernia Repair
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Metabolic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Nutritional Management After Bariatric Surgery
- Revision Surgery
- Weight Loss Surgery
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Abdominal Hernia
- Abdominal Pain
- Bile Duct Stones
- Diaphragm Hernia
- Esophageal Cancer
- Esophageal Motility Disorders
- Gallbladder Disease
- Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD)
- Hiatal Hernia
- Inguinal Hernia
- Ventral Hernia
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic Florida
Laparoscopic Surgery (minimally invasive surgery)
Weston, FL USA
Residency - New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens
Flushing, NY USA
Residency - Long Island Jewish Medical Center
New Hyde Park, NY USA
Internship - Long Island Jewish Medical Center
New Hyde Park, NY USA
Medical School - Universidad Central de Venezuela
- Center and Surgeon of Excellence of The American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
- Center and Surgeon of Excellence of The American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- Full accreditation by The Fellowship Council in Minimally Invasive and Bariatric Surgery
Abdominal wall hernia, bariatric surgery, flexible endoscopy, metabolic surgery, minimally invasive surgery
Awards & Honors
- Physician of the Year Award, by Cleveland Clinic Hospital in the category of Service. March 2004.
- Physician of the Quarter Award, by Cleveland Clinic Hospital in the category of Growth. 3rd Quarter 2003.
- Physician's Recognition Award, by The American Medical Association, March 2003.
- Certificate of Excellence, by the Cleveland Clinic Florida Operating Room Operations Committee, for outstanding performance and exceptional commitment to the efficiency of the operating room. April 2007.
- Innovator Award, by Cleveland Clinic for commitment to bring new technology to patients worldwide.(Rectal desimpactor device) June 2007.
- Innovator Award, by Cleveland Clinic for commitment to bring new technology to patients worldwide.(Bariatric orogastric anastomotic suturing tube and Esophageal double suction isolator tube) June 2006.
- "America's Top Surgeons," by the Consumers Research Council of America. 2004-2005 edition. Washington, DC.
- "America's Top Surgeons," by the Consumers Research Council of America. 2005-2006 edition. Washington, DC.
- Leadership Award, voted by fellow residents and attendings of The New York Hospital of Queens for the greatest contribution to the quality and life of the residency program, July 2001.
Innovations & Patents
- Innovator Award, by Cleveland Clinic for commitment to bring new technology to patients worldwide. (Rectal desimpactor device) June 2007.
- Innovator Award, by Cleveland Clinic for commitment to bring new technology to patients worldwide. (Bariatric orogastric anastomotic suturing tube and Esophageal double suction isolator tube) June 2006.
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Council Member, South Florida Chapter of the American College of Surgeons
- Member, American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
- Member, American Hernia Society
- Member, Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- Member, The Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract (SSAT)
- Member, American Obesity Association
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 3/13/2018, Dr. Szomstein has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
126 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.8|
|Knows Medical History||4.2|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.5|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.6|
6 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Nov 27, 2018
Dr. Szomstein was very thorough in advising me.
Reviewed on Jul 25, 2018
After waiting to see the Dr. one hour past my appointment time, I was very impressed with the visit although it seemed a little short at maybe 10 minutes. It did take care of my immediate questions.
Reviewed on Jul 11, 2018
*Dr. Sconstein and staff are amazing!
Reviewed on May 24, 2018
Dr. Szomstein is outstanding. He has a wonderful manner, is confident and very competent.
Reviewed on Apr 10, 2018
Wait time was excessive before seeing the doctor.
Reviewed on Mar 7, 2018
Dr.Szomstein performed a hernia repair operation on me in 2009. Now I am back to get the other side done Needless to say, I have faith in him.
© 2019 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.