Treatment & Services
- Aorta Surgery
- Aortic Dissection
- Aortic Valve Repair
- Aortic Valve Replacement
- Aortic Valve Surgery
- Arterial Coronary Artery Bypass Graft
- Arterial Coronary Artery Bypass Grafts
- Ascending Aortic Replacement
- Atrial Fibrillation Surgery
- Atrial Septal Defect Closure
- Beating Heart Surgery
- Bypass Surgery
- Bypass Surgery Re-operation
- Cardiac Transplantation
- Complex Aorta Surgery
- Congenital Heart Surgery in Adults
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (cabg) Surgery
- David Procedure
- David Reimplantation Operation
- Endovascular Aorta Treatment - Thoracic
- Heart Failure Surgery
- Heart Surgery
- Heart Surgery for Marfan Syndrome
- Heart Surgery Reoperation
- Heart Transplant
- Heart Transplantation
- Heart Valve Repair and Replacement
- Heart Valve Surgery
- Infective Endocarditis Surgery
- Keyhole Surgery
- Left Ventricular Aneurysm Surgery
- Lobectomy, VATS Lobectomy
- Lung Biopsy
- Lung Cancer Surgery
- Lung Lesion Surgery
- Lung Surgery
- Maze Procedure
- Mediastinal Biopsy Surgery
- Mediastinal Masses Surgery
- Mediastinal surgery
- Minimally Invasive Aortic Valve Repair
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Cardiovascular Surgeries
- Minimally Invasive Heart Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Repair
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery Off Pump Bypass
- Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgeries
- Minimally Invasive Thoracoscopic Surgery
- Mitral Valve Surgery
- Off Pump Coronary Artery Bypass (OPCAB)
- Off Pump Heart Surgery
- Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Organ Transplantation
- Pectus Excavatum Repair
- Pericardial Window
- Pulmonic Valve Repair
- Pulmonic Valve Replacement
- Pulmonic Valve Surgery
- Radial Artery and Saphenous Vein Harvesting
- Re-do/Re-operative Heart Surgery
- Removal of Heart Tumors
- Removal of Part or Whole Lung
- Reoperative Heart Surgery
- Repair of Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms and Dissections
- Robotically Assisted Lung Surgery
- Robotically Assisted Thoracic Surgery
- Robotically Assisted Thymectomy
- Septal Myectomy
- Sleeve Lobectomy
- Solid Organ Transplant
- Surgical Biopsy of Thoracic Lymph Nodes
- Surgical Procedures for Atrial Fibrillation
- Surgical Treatment Of Adult Acquired Heart Disease
- Surgical Treatment of Lung Nodules
- Surgical Treatment Of Thoracic And Cardiovascular Disease
- Surgical Treatment Of Valve Endocarditis
- Surgical Ventricular Restoration (SVR)
- Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Section
- Thoracic Aorta Surgery
- Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Repair
- Thoracic Sympathectomy
- Thoracoscopic Surgery
- Tricuspid Valve Repair
- Tricuspid Valve Replacement
- Tricuspid Valve Surgery
- VAD Insertion
- Valve Sparing Surgery
- Valve Surgery
- Ventricular Aneurysm Surgery
- Ventricular Assist Device
- Ventricular Septal Defect in Adults
- Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery (VATS)
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Aorta Disease
- Cardiac transplant
- Heart Disease
- Heart Failure
- Heart Related Illnesses
- Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm
- Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysm
Is Cleveland Clinic Florida Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Florida locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - University of Maryland Medical Center
Baltimore, MD USA
Internship - Baylor College of Medicine Affiliated Hospitals
Houston, TX USA
Medical Education - Duke University School of Medicine
Durham, NC USA
Undergraduate - Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL USA
- Thoracic Surgery
Awards & Honors
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society Duke University 1985
- Bryan Award for Clinical Excellence Cleveland Clinic 1999
- Chairman's Gold Award LifeLink Foundation
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 3/16/2020, Dr. Sheffield has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
48 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||5|
15 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Feb 27, 2020
I had a very good experience. The doctor was very nice and knowledgeable. Felt at ease with him.
Reviewed on Feb 13, 2020
Having worked in large hospitals and seeing the changing methods in which medical services are delivered, I believe Cleveland Clinic Weston did an outstanding job. Dr. Sheffield listened, answered our questions and did not seem in a particular hurry. He outlined the procedure and post-surgical care. By the time our exam / meeting was over, I felt very comfortable knowing he was going to do open heart surgery on me!
Reviewed on Feb 6, 2020
Dr. Sheffield and Pam Reagan were excellent in my meetings with them.
Reviewed on Dec 17, 2019
My surgeon *Dr. Sheffield was the best!
Reviewed on Dec 12, 2019
Dr Sheffield was willing to spend as much time as needed to answer our questions regarding my upcoming surgery. he spoke in a language we could understand.
Reviewed on Oct 17, 2019
We were extremely impressed by both Dr. Sheffield and his assistant.
Reviewed on Aug 1, 2019
Dr. Sheffield is excellent and saved my life. He is very professional and courteous and answers all your questions. Dr. Sheffield is truly the best. Thank you, Alice M. Farrell
Reviewed on Jul 16, 2019
Doctor's are excellent, above & beyond service.
Reviewed on Jun 22, 2019
*Dr. Sheffield is excellent!
Reviewed on Jun 6, 2019
We waited for 2 hours to see our doctor. We do understand that emergencies come up that need to be dealt with but it was a long time. On the plus side, the doctor stayed with us for as long as we had questions and explained in great detail what was going on. He took the time needed and didn't try to rush us out the door. As a result, we were totally confident in him operating on me. I don't know where the trade off is on how to correct the time matter. We were very pleased overall with everything.
Reviewed on May 30, 2019
Dr. Sheffield was very open and a great listener. He instilled great confidence in me about his expertise. I would highly recommend him.
Reviewed on May 23, 2019
Doctor Sheffield got called out of the office for a emergency but soon as he was available he called me on my cell phone and discussed also explained my health condition. Discuss my future care plans also. I never had a doctor personally call me that really impressed me that he really cares about his patients
Reviewed on May 23, 2019
Dr Shieffeld and staff has been a blessing to me in this time in my life, his professionalism, compassion and the way he treated me as his patient has transform this difficult time in a experience I never forgetThanks Dr Shiefeld you are the best , and i think God put me in your hands for a reason .God bless you
Reviewed on Apr 18, 2019
Dr Sheffield was good in providing information for me to understand my options. I appreciated his concern to not automatically recommend surgery.
Reviewed on Mar 27, 2019
I felt very lucky to have Dr. S______ in charge.
© 2020 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.