Treatment & Services
- Administration Of Injectable Medications For Osteoporosis
- Adult Rheumatology
- Arthritic Knee Conditions
- Bone Density Testing
- Clinical Trials
- Cortisone injections
- Diagnosis of Osteoporosis
- Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry (DXA)
- General Rheumatology
- General Rheumatology including Lupus
- Hyaluronic acid (HA)
- Hyaluronic acid injections
- Immunoglobulin Infusion
- Immunology of Infectious Diseases
- Infusion Therapy
- Infusions Of Biologic Agents On Site
- Joint Aspiration
- Joint Injections
- Joint Preservation Center
- Medical Management of Early Osteoarthritis
- Medication Management
- Musculoskeletal Evaluation
- Musculoskeletal Medicine
- Musculoskeletal Treatment For Joint Pain
- Therapeutic Injections
- Ultrasound-guided Procedures
- Viscosupplementation Injections
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- AIDS & HIV
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Antiphospholipid Syndrome
- Arthritic Knee Problems
- Arthritis of the Foot and Ankle
- Arthritis Of The Hip
- Arthritis Of The Knee
- Arthritis of the Thumb Base
- Arthritis of the Wrist & Hand
- Autoimmune Disease
- Autoinflammatory Syndromes
- Behcet's Disease
- Benign Hypermobility Joint Syndrome
- Buerger's Disease
- Calcification Tendinitis
- Central Nervous System Vasculitis
- Chondrocalcinosis (Pseudo Gout)
- Churg-Strauss Syndrome
- Connective Tissue Diseases
- Connective Tissue Disorders
- Elbow Arthritis
- Familial Mediterranean Fever
- Familial Mediterranean Fever (FMF) Syndrome
- Foot & Ankle Arthritis
- General Infectious Diseases
- Giant Cell Arteritis
- Gout Arthritis
- Granulomatosis with Polyangitis (Wegener’s)
- Hand and Wrist Arthritis
- Hand Pain
- Hand Problems
- Henoch Schonlein Purpura
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Hip Arthritis
- Hip Disorders
- Hip Pain
- Inflammatory Arthritis
- Joint Pain
- Knee Arthritis
- Knee Joint Disorders
- Knee Pain
- Lupus Anticoagulant
- Lupus Nephritis
- Metabolic Bone Disease
- Metabolic Diseases
- Microscopic Polyangiitis (MPA)
- Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Musculoskeletal Impairments
- Musculoskeletal Pain
- Osteoarthritis Of The Hips And Knees In The Elderly
- Painful Joints
- Palindromic Rheumatism
- Polumyalgia Rheumatica
- Polyarteritis Nodosa
- Psoriatic Arthritis
- Raynaud's Phenomenon
- Reactive Arthritis
- Relapsing Polychondritis
- Retroperitoneal Fibrosis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis and Heart Disease
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: How to Treat
- Shoulder Arthritis
- Shoulder Pain
- Sjogren's Syndrome
- Steroid-Induced Osteoporosis
- Systemic Autoimmune Diseases
- Systemic Lupus
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Trigger Finger
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Internship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Medical Education - Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences University of Health Sciences
Kansas City, MO USA
Undergraduate - John Carroll University
University Heights, OH USA
- R.J. Fasenmeyer Chair of Clinical Immunology
- Theodore F. Classen, DO Chair in Osteopathic Research and Education
- Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
Vasculitis, HIV/AIDS, Rhematic aspects of viral infections Vasculitis, HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C
Awards & Honors
- Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters, Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
- Bruce Hubbard Stewart Award for humanitarianism
- Phillips Medal of Public Service, Ohio University
- American College of Physicians
- American College of Rheumatology
- American Osler Society
- Clinical Immunology Society
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 4/12/2021, Dr. Calabrese has reported the financial relationships with the companies listed below. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Consulting and/or Speaking. Dr. Calabrese receives fees of $5,000 or more per year as a paid consultant, speaker or member of an advisory committee for the following companies:
- GlaxoSmithKline plc.
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- AbbVie, Inc.
- Crescendo Bioscience, Inc.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Genentech, Inc
- Johnson & Johnson
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
48 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||5|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||5|
12 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Jun 10, 2021
Dr Calabrese and Betsey have always been so fantastic. I could not have asked for a better care team. It is clearly evident how much they care about me & I feel it every visit.
Reviewed on Apr 20, 2021
Dr Calabrese went above and beyond in helping me get a diagnosis. I have been to multiple specialists, including 3 other Academic institutions and they provided little to no guidance and a missed diagnosis in all cases. Dr. Calabrese was kind, patient, and extremely empathetic. I am in the medical field and honestly have never encountered someone so caring and knowledgeable.
Reviewed on Apr 13, 2021
Dr. Calabrese is extremely empathetic. I feel grateful to be under his care.
Reviewed on Apr 8, 2021
dr Calabrese is so caring and helpful.
Reviewed on Feb 9, 2021
excellent doctor have recommended him to several people. wonderful bed side manner and knowledge and expertise
Reviewed on Feb 2, 2021
I can't find enough words to express my happiness with Dr. Calabrese. He has brought me through so much! I don't know what I would do without him and his staff.
Reviewed on Dec 22, 2020
Dr. Leonard Calabrese was thorough with his explanation and any proposed changes in care and elicited our questions.
Reviewed on Nov 3, 2020
I felt listened too. Things were explained to me in a manner I could understand. Felt like the Doc was there for me as a person as well as a patient.
Reviewed on Oct 20, 2020
Dr. Calabrese and his staff,l nurse practitioner Betsy and his nurse took alot of time to discuss my health. He is personable, caring, concerned and very thorough. His expertise if evident in his field
Reviewed on Oct 13, 2020
Dr Calabrese is the BEST!
Reviewed on Sep 1, 2020
Dr Calabrese and Betsy Kircshner are amazing intelligent kind people!
Reviewed on Jul 21, 2020
I would highly recommend this doctor to anyone
© 2021 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.