Treatment & Services
- Clinical Trials
- Diabetic Eye Examinations
- Fluorescein Angiography
- Intravitreal Injections For Retinal Disease
- Laser For Diabetic Retinopathy
- Laser Treatment Of Retinal Disease
- Macular Degeneration Evaluations
- Optical Coherence Tomography
- Pars Plana Vitrectomy
- Scleral Buckle
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Age-Related Macular Degeneration
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Diseases of the Retina
- Diseases of the Vitreous
- Macular Hole
- Macular Pucker
- Retinal Detachment
- Retinal Disorders
- Retinal Vein Occlusion
- Traumatic Retinal Detachment
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Bascom Palmer Eye Institute-Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital
Miami, FL USA
Residency - Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
Boston, MA USA
Internship - Massachusetts General Hospital
Boston, MA USA
Medical School - Harvard Medical School
Boston, MA USA
Undergraduate - Harvard University
Cambridge, MA USA
- FELLOWSHIP: Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
- Miami Florida
- Medical retina and vitreoretinal surgery 1996-1997
- RESIDENCY:Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary 1993-1996
- Boston, MA
- INTERNSHIP:Massachusetts General Hospital 1992-1993
- Boston MA
- Internal Medicine
- MEDICAL SCHOOL:Harvard Medical School 1988-1992
- Boston MA
- Doctor of Medicine
- COLLEGE: Harvard College 1984-1988
- Boston MA
- Bachelor of Arts
- Editor-in-Chief, Current Concepts in Retina
- Founding Director, Digital OCT Reading Center (DOCTR)
- Associate Editor, American Journal of Ophthalmology
- Editorial board, Retina, Retina Today, Retinal Physician, Ocular Surgery News
- Associate Editor, International Ophthalmology Clinics
Epiretinal membranes, vitreomacular traction, macular holes, age-related macular degeneration, Diabetic retinopathy, Retinal Detachment, vitreoretinal diseases
Awards & Honors
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Senior Achievement Award (Senior Honor Award), 2008
- National Institute of Health, RO1 grant funding, 2005-present
- Who's Who in Executives and Professionals Listing National Register, West Islip NY, 2004- present
- American Society of Retina Specialists, Senior Achievement Award (Senior Honor Award), 2003
- American Society of Retina Specialists, Achievement Award (Honor Award), 2002
- Best Doctors in America listing, 2002 - present
- Best Doctors in Midwest listing, 2002-present
- Best Doctors in Cleveland listing, 2002-present
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award (Honor Award), 2001
- Strathmore's Who's Who listing, 2000-present
- Study Chairman, DENALI Phase 3 Study
- Study Chairman, VERITAS Phase 3 Study
- Study Chairman, VIO Phase 3 Study
- Study Chairman, TargeGen Phase 1 Study
Innovations & Patents
- Pioneer in the use of, and developer of several new 23 gauge surgical techniques, which allow sutureless vitrectomy surgery with less pain and faster visual recovery or patients
- Pioneer in new vitrectomy systems that offer better flow rates, faster cutting speeds, and safer probes than current machines
- First MD to use a modified RNA interfering molecule to treat age-related macular degeneration; this technique and its technology was the first time it had been used in any disease after the discovery of RNAi received the Nobel Prize in Medicine
- Pioneer in the use of spectral domain optical coherence tomography in the diagnosis and management of vitreoretinal diseases
- Retina Society, 2003- present
- Pan-American Ophthalmology Association, 2000- present
- American Society of Retina Specialists (Vitreous Society), 2000 - present
- Cleveland Ophthalmological Society, 1997 - present
- International Academy of Sports Vision, 1997 - present
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 10/26/2016, Dr. Kaiser has reported the financial relationships with the companies listed below. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Consulting and/or Speaking. Dr. Kaiser receives fees of $5,000 or more per year as a paid consultant, speaker or member of an advisory committee for the following companies:
- Ohr Pharmaceutical, Inc.
- Bayer AG
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Alcon, Inc.
- ThromboGenics NV
- Aerpio Therapeutics, Inc.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
350 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||5|
|Knows Medical History||4.9|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.9|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.9|
14 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Jun 7, 2018
Dr. Kaiser is a wonderful Doctor!!!
Reviewed on Jun 7, 2018
the doctor answered all my questions. his explanations were clear and understandable. he was very reassuring.
Reviewed on Jun 6, 2018
long time between completion of photo scans of eyes and seeing doctor.
Reviewed on Jun 6, 2018
I love seeing Dr. Kaiser.
Reviewed on May 31, 2018
Dr Kaiser is the best doctor I have ever had the occasion to visit. I am grateful for his expertise, care and concern.
Reviewed on Apr 12, 2018
Dr Kaiser said he wanted to see me in a month for follow up visit but he was not there. I had to make the follow up visit for three weeks or five weeks.
Reviewed on Apr 11, 2018
have never had a bad experience when visiting dr. kaiser
Reviewed on Mar 14, 2018
*Dr. Kaiser is a caring, friendly - intelligent provider.
Reviewed on Mar 1, 2018
Excellent assistance with my new medical issue - *Dr. Kaiser put my mind at ease and helped me resolve my issues.
Reviewed on Feb 1, 2018
*Dr. Kaiser continues to be thorough & clear in his evaluation of my health. He is an asset to Cleveland Clinic.
Reviewed on Nov 16, 2017
Dr. Peter Kaiser is top notch!
Reviewed on Oct 26, 2017
Dr. Kaiser is very thorough.
Reviewed on Sep 13, 2017
Dr Kaiser always answers my questions and explains everything. will not go to anyone else.
Reviewed on Aug 17, 2017
Detailed but understandable information about my condition. Used computer screen to show me digital photos of both eyes. Was never rushed. Looked up and gave me colleague's name in Knoxville, TN, for further follow-up should I not be back in Cleveland.
© 2018 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.