Treatment & Services
- Healthcare Epidemiology
- Infectious Disease Consultation
- Infectious Disease Treatment
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender( LGBT Health)
- Outpatient Antibiotic Therapy
- Solid Organ Transplant
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- AIDS & HIV
- Bone and Joint Infection
- Bone Marrow Transplant Related Infections
- Cardiac Device Infections
- Cardiac Implantable Electronic Device Infection
- Chlamydia Trachomatis
- Defibrillator Infections
- Fever In Transplant Recipients
- General Infectious Diseases
- General Infectious Transplant
- General Outpatient Infectious Disease
- Infective Endocarditis
- Influenza (Flu)
- International Travel Related Preparation And Diseases
- Kidney Infections
- MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus)
- Mycobacterial Infections
- Necrotizing Fasciitis
- Neurologic Infections
- Non-Tuberculosis Mycobacteria (ASB)
- Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy (PML)
- Prosthetic Joint Infections
- Reye's Syndrome
- Septic Arthritis
- Shingles (Varicella-Zoster Virus)
- Solid Organ Transplant Related Infections
- Sore Throat (Pharyngitis)
- Spinal Infections
- Staphylococcus Aureus Infections
- Strep Throat
- Surgical Site and Hospital Acquired Infections
- Transplant Infections
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Ventricular Shunt Infections
- West Nile Virus
Is Cleveland Clinic Florida Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Florida locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Northwell Health
New Hyde Park, NY USA
Residency - Lutheran Medical Center
Brooklyn, NY USA
Medical Education - Medical University of the Americas
Nevis, St. Kitts,
- Board Certified in Internal Medicine
- Board Certified in Infectious Disease
- HIV Specialist, American Academy of HIV Medicine
Professional educational materials
- MCWILLIAMS C. and Giaccio, D. USMLE Step 2 & 3 In Your Pocket, Kaplan Publishing, New York, New, York © 2013
- Fischer, C. USMLE Step Three-Master the Boards (Content and Peer Reviewer), Kaplan Publishing, New York, New, York © 2012
- MCWILLIAMS C. and Giaccio, D. USMLE Step 3 White Coat Pocket Guide Pocket Guide, Kaplan Publishing, New York, New, York © 2010
- MCWILLIAMS C. and multiple authors, USMLE Step Three Online Question Bank, Kaplan Medical Test Prep and Admissions, New York, New, York © 2009
- MCWILLIAMS C. and multiple authors, USMLE Step Two Online Question Bank, Kaplan Medical Test Prep and Admissions, New York, New, York © 2008
- Fischer, C. and Faselis, C., USMLE Step Two CK Lecture Notes, Internal Medicine (Content and Peer Reviewer), Kaplan Medical Test Prep and Admissions, New York, New, York © 2008
- Cvetnic W., Pino E., Koerner C., and MCWILLIAMS C., USMLE Step Two CK Lecture Notes, Pediatrics, Kaplan Medical Test Prep and Admissions, New York, New, York © 2008
- MCWILLIAMS C. and multiple authors, USMLE Step Two PowerPoint Presentations for DVD Lecture Series (Contributing Author and Editor), Kaplan Medical Test Prep and Admissions, New York, New, York © 2007
Peer Reviewed Publications and Posters
- CARLA MCWILLIAMS MD, Susan Condon, Rebecca M. Schwartz, Christine C Ginocchio. Incidence of Extended Spectrum β Lactamase Producing Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumonia Isolates That Test Susceptible to Cephalosporins and Aztreonam by the Revised CLSI Breakpoints. Journal of Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. Doi:10.1128/JCM03613-13, Published April 30th, 2014
- CARLA MCWILLIAMS MD, Kourosh Golestany, MD, Rohit Sharma, MD, Golali Nejati, MD, Anna Cyrus-Murden, MD, MPH and Dmitri Kirpichnikov, MD. Correlation of admitted nursing home residents’ hospital length of stay and vitamin D levels. Department of Internal Medicine, Lutheran Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York, USA (http://www.jchimp.net/index.php/jchimp/article/view/6313/html) Vol 1, No 3, October 2011
- Oikonomou KG MD, MCWILLIAMS C, MD Moussa MM MD. Oerskovia Species Bacteremia in a Diabetic Patient. J Global Infectious Disease. 2018 April-June. PMID 29910574.
- Rojas E MD, Gillenwater S MD, Rivas A MD, Wulff L MD, Kaur J MD, Gonzalez M MD, De Armas Y MD, MCWILLIAMS C MD, Martinez F MD, Bejarano P MD, Hadah A MD. Incidental Pulmonary Cryptococcocus in an Asymptomatic Liver Transplant Patient. American Thoracic Society Meeting, 5/22/19, Dallas Texas
- CARLA MCWILLIAMS MD, Orly Hadar MD, Amy Van MS. Factors Associated with Positive Follow Up Blood Cultures in Gram Negative Septicemia. 10/3/19. IDSA Annual Meeting, Washington DC
- Nicholas Brozzi, Jaime Hernandez-Montfort, Edward Noguera, CARLA MCWILLIAMS, Cedric Sheffield, Steven Minear, Jeffrey Jacobs, Viviana Navas, Mauricio Velez, Robert Cubeddu, Jose L Navia "Successful mobile extracorporeal member oxygenator for COVID-19 severe respiratory failure" Journal of Cardiac Surgery Case Reports, December 2020
- Gilda Portalatin, Jodi Ann Chin, Brian Foster, Kevin Perry, CARLA MCWILLIAMS "Daptomycin Induced Acute Eosinophilic Pneumonia" Cureus Feb 2021
- Suma Thomas, Divyang Patel, Barbara Bittel, Kathy Wolski, Qiuqing Wang, Anirudh Kumar, Zachary Il'Giovine, Reena Mehra, CARLA MCWILLIAMS, Steve Nissen, Miliand Desai "Effect of High Dose Zinc and Ascorbic Acid Supplementation vs. Usual Care on Symptom Length and Reduction Among Ambulatory Patients with SARS-Co-V-2 Infection" JAMA Open Network April 2021
- Paul C Cremer, Prof Antonio Abbate, MD, Kristin Hudock MD, CARLA MCWILLIAMS MD, Jinesh Mehta MD, Prof Steven V. Chang et al "Mavrilimumab in patients with severe COVID-19 pneumonia and systemic hyperinflammation (MASH-COVID): an investigator initiated, multicenter, double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trial" The Lancet Rheumatology March 2021
- Jesus Villa, Tejbir Pannu, CARLA MCWILLIAMS, Chandra Kizer, Raul Rosenthal, Carlos Higuera, Preetesh Patel"Results of Preoperative Screening for COVID-19 Correlate with the Incidence of Infection in the General Population-A Tertiary Care Experience" Journal of Hospital Practice March 2021
- Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
Awards & Honors
- The Jose M Muniz Best Teaching Faculty Award, Department of Internal Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Florida 2017-2018
- Clinician of the Year Award 2019, Women’s Professional Staff Association, Cleveland Clinic Florida
- Clinician of the Year Award 2020, Cleveland Clinic Florida Professional Staff Association
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 9/22/2021, Dr. McWilliams has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
44 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.8|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.7|
8 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Mar 10, 2021
doctor didn't want to hear about my infectious problem and blamed the COVID epidemic as a reason I wasn't seen earlier
Reviewed on Mar 10, 2021
Dr. McWilliams is a kind empathetic person.
Reviewed on Feb 10, 2021
initially I had an appointment to come into the office. When I realized the drive to the office would overlap another appointment I called the office and arranged for the televisit and Dr. McWilliams office staff arranged it immediately and EVERYTHING worked out VERY WELL!
Reviewed on Feb 10, 2021
Dr. McWilliams staff called to report an issue on her end and asked if I had the DUO app, which i did, and verified everything to make the appt happen!
Reviewed on Jan 27, 2021
always have received a return call from Dr Mc Williams nurse or office pertaining to need GREAT Dr!! GREAT Staff !! Many THANKS
Reviewed on Nov 18, 2020
The telehealth visit with Dr. McWilliams is the best visit I'd experienced with her. She didn't appear rushed. I felt I had time to ask questions. Her responses where thougthful.
Reviewed on Oct 28, 2020
Excellent visit with Dr. McWilliams.
Reviewed on Oct 20, 2020
she is a great doctor. Thank you!
© 2021 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.