Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Medical Education - Marmara University Faculty of Medicine
Fellowship - Innsbruck University Hospital
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Medical Education - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - Marmara University Faculty of Medicine
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Medical Education - Marmara University Faculty of Medicine
- Director, Maxillofacial Trauma
- Director, Lower Extremity Reconstruction
- European Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Professor of Plastic Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
Breast surgery, reconstructive surgery including microsurgery, lower extremity, trunk, head and neck, facial reconstruction, maxillofacial soft tissue and bone injuries, melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers
Awards & Honors
- Surp Pirgic Armenian Hospital Foundation Scholar: 1984-1991
- Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation Scholar: 1984-1991
- Graduation from Marmara University School of Medicine first in class with the highest grades and Valedictorian (1991)
- Second place clinical paper “The use of free vascularized fibula bone grafts in mandible reconstruction” in the 16th Turkish Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Congress. Ankara, Turkey, October 1-4 (1994)
- Best Clinical Paper Award “Bifrontal Approach in Unilateral Coronal Synostosis” in the 17th Turkish Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Congress. Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, September 20-25 (1995)
- The 2001 Aesthetic Surgery Education and Research Foundation Grant Award with a research project entitled “Histological Evaluation Of Chemical Peels In The Yucatan Minipig.”
- The Best Scientific Paper Award “The Effect of Pretreatment with Adenovirus-mediated VEGF Therapy On Epigastric Flap Survival: A Time-Response Study” in the 44th Annual Meeting of the Ohio Valley Society for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Toledo, Ohio, June 8-10 (2001)
- Second place scientific paper award “Phenol-croton Oil Peel: The Science behind the Myths” in the 44th Annual Meeting of the Ohio Valley Society for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Toledo, Ohio, June 8-10 (2001)
- The 2001 Best Video Award Winner Reproductive Surgery Category “Autotransplantation of an Entire Ovary with Vascular Anastomosis” in American Society for Reproductive Medicine Fifty-seventh Annual Meeting, Orange County Convention Center, Orlando, Florida, October 20-25 (2001)
- The 2001 Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation Grant Award with a research project entitled “VEGF Gene Therapy To Stimulate Peripheral Nerve Regeneration After Nerve Crush Injury”
- The 2002 Society for Reproductive Surgeons Prize Paper Award “Transplantation of intact frozen-thawed mammalian ovary with microvascular anastomosis” at American Society for Reproductive Medicine Fifty-eighth Annual Meeting, Washington State Convention Center, Seattle, Washington, October 12-17 (2002)
- The best poster paper “Der distal gestielte M.abductor hallucis Lappen: eine neue Anwenung”: (The distally-based abductor hallucis muscle flap: a new application). in 40. Jahrestagung Osterreichische Gesellschaft fur Plastische, Ästhetische und Rekonstruktive Chirurgie (The 40th Annual Meeting of Austrian Society for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery). Salzburg, Austria, October 18-19 (2002)
- The 2003 Best Video Award Winner Reproductive Surgery Category “Use of Deep Inferior Epigastric Vessels to Vascularize Cryopreserved-thawed Ovarian Grafts” in American Society for Reproductive Medicine Fifty-ninth Annual Meeting, Henry B.Gonzalez Convention Center, San Antonio, Texas, October 11-15 (2003)
- Acquisition of Green Card in the ‘Alien of Extraordinary Ability’ category through achievements and accomplishments in the medical and surgical career (2005)
- The best challenge the master case in genitourinary reconstruction category with “Penile replantation in a schizophrenic patient with self inflicted amputation” in the First Mayo Clinic Symposium in Reconstructive Microsurgery, at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, June 4-7, (2009)
- Outstanding Clinician Award, Denver Health Medical Center (Denver General) (2011)
- Second place runner-up in best Video Discussion of 2013 Contest for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal “The Role of Chronic and Perioperative Glucose Management in High-Risk Surgical Closures: A Case for Tighter Glycemic Control” Video Discussion by Raffi Gurunluoglu, MD
- Approval by the American Board of Plastic Surgery for admission to the American Board of Plastic Surgery exams, December 3 (2013)
- Diplomat of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, November 14 (2015)
- Cleveland Clinic, Department of Plastic Surgery, the first total face transplant in the U.S.A (3rd face transplant at Cleveland Clinic), May 4-5, (2017)
- The American College of Surgeons
- The American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- The Plastic Surgery Research Council
- The Turkish Society of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons
- The Turkish Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery
- The International Confederation for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (IPRAS)
- The European Association of Plastic Surgeons (EURAPS)
- Ohio Valley Society of Plastic Surgeons
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 11/3/2019, Dr. Gurunian has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
77 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.5|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.4|
15 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Dec 9, 2019
Ask a lot of questions about why I was there who referred me. I instantly knew no communication from Doctor to Doctor.
Reviewed on Nov 26, 2019
Dr. Raffi and Mary Beth answered all my questions prior and post surgery. they had a light sense of humor that helped me feel at ease through the entire process, all while remaining professional. Overall, it was a great experience and I am healing well and happy with the results!
Reviewed on Nov 25, 2019
Dr. Gurunian is very patient and an excellent listener. Dr. Gurunian, addressed and explained everything from A-to-Z for any questions or concerns I may have.
Reviewed on Nov 14, 2019
Dr Raffi and the nurse practitioner were so kind and helpful and took the time to answer all of my questions and concerns. very professional
Reviewed on Nov 12, 2019
Dr Raffi explained everything in detail, drew pictures, told me what to expect. He was wonderful.
Reviewed on Oct 28, 2019
Dr. Raffi is the best! Besides his great knowledge, he is professional and yet so much empathy for how I, as the patient, feels about everything.
Reviewed on Aug 26, 2019
Dr Raffij and Marybeth give it they're all, over and beyond.
Reviewed on Jul 24, 2019
The entire process from scheduling the appointments and getting additional information was very good. Dr. Raffi is very hands on and attentive.
Reviewed on Jul 22, 2019
Dr Gurunian is a caring and compassionate provider.
Reviewed on Jul 16, 2019
the doctor told me he usually does not due this procedure and that he was doing it for his colleagues. I felt he was rude. He did not do the procedure. His assistant did it. she came in the stitch the wound.
Reviewed on Jul 8, 2019
I can't tell enough about Dr. Raffi. He is very friendly, listens to you and your concerns, explains every detail of the procedure and possible scenarios about the outcome. If anyone needs a plastic surgeon, Dr. Raffi is the right choice. It's not only my personal experience but also several people that I know of had both esthetic and reconstructive surgeries by him and the level of satisfaction is above limits.
Reviewed on May 9, 2019
Dr. Raffi is my surgeon and it was great that he allowed the mood to be light and witty, because surgery period is scary. He was also very courteous to my aunt who had came with me to my surgery and post op appt.
Reviewed on Mar 28, 2019
it was a very disappointing visit. Dr. Raffi did not even come close to me and stood at the door. He did not want to hear what I had to say. I have several wounds and all that he did was give his opinion from paperwork that I had sent from my doctors. Dr. Raffi needs to realize that I am a patient coming for a "professional " opinion. Not from someone that stood at the door and never introduced himself and heard what I had to say or even looked at my wounds.
Reviewed on Jan 31, 2019
This doctor is the best. He took plenty of time with me to prepare me for an upcoming procedure, answered all of my questions, and it felt like he cared but also like he knows what he is doing. You can't get a better plastic surgeon!
Reviewed on Jan 28, 2019
the doctor and all nurses/assistants were truly caring people. one of the best appointments I've had
© 2020 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.