Treatment & Services
- Aorta Center
- Cardiac Oncology
- Cardio-Oncology Center
- Cardiovascular Imaging
- Cardiovascular Imaging Section
- Cardiovascular Medicine Department
- Diagnostic Clinical Cardiology
- General Cardiology
- Heart Imaging
- High Risk Valve Disease Patients
- Non-Invasive Diagnostic Testing
- Preoperative Evaluation Of Valvular Disease
- Stress Testing
- Timing Of Valve Surgery
- Transesophageal Echocardiogram (TEE)
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Aorta Disease
- Aortic Aneurysms
- Aortic Insufficiency
- Aortic Occlusion (blockage)
- Aortic Regurgitation
- Aortic Stenosis
- Atherosclerosis (vascular)
- Atrial Septal Defects
- Bicuspid Aortic Valve Disease
- Cancer and the Heart
- Cancer Heart Disease
- Cardiac Disease
- Cardiac Dyspnea
- Cardiac Problems in Athletes
- Cardiac Tumors
- Cardiomyopathy Valvular
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Cardiovascular Risk Prevention
- Coarctation Of The Aorta
- Congenital Valve Disease
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
- Heart Attack
- Heart Disease
- Heart Murmur
- Heart Related Illnesses
- Heart Valve Disease
- Heart Valve Infections
- High Cholesterol
- Hypertension - High Blood Pressure
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
- Ischemic Cardiomyopathy
- Ischemic Heart Disease
- Marfan Syndrome
- Mitral Stenosis with Insufficiency
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Mitral Valve Prolapse
- Mitral Valve Regurgitation
- Mitral Valve Stenosis
- Pulmonary Valve Disease
- Pulmonary Valve Stenosis
- Pulmonic Regurgitation
- Radiation Heart Disease
- Radiation Induced Cardiomyopathy
- Restrictive Cardiomyopathy
- Rheumatic Heart Disease
- Tricuspid Regurgitation
- Tricuspid Stenosis
- Tricuspid Valve Disease
- Tricuspid Valve Disorder
- Valve Disease
- Valve Prosthesis
- Valvular Heart Disease
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Massachusetts General Hospital
Boston, MA USA
Residency - Boston Medical Center
Boston, MA USA
Residency - Guys & St. Thomas Hospital
Fellowship - Mater Misericordiade Hospital
Residency - Saint Vincent's Hospital
Residency - University College Hospital, Galway
Internship - University College Hospital, Galway
Medical School - National University of Ireland University College Faculty of Medicine
- U.S. Editor, Heart, Journal of British Cardiac Society
- Co-Editor, Manual of Cardiovascular Medicine, Manual of Valve Disease, The Cleveland Clinic Cardiology Board Review, Cardiovascular Board Review Question Book
- Co-Director, Annual Intense Review of Cardiology, Cleveland Clinic
- Co-Director, Mastering the Mitral Valve
- Co-Director, Endocarditis Summit
- President, Cleveland Chapter, American Heart Association
- Doctorate of Medicine, National University of Ireland (on published work)
- Internal Medicine - Cardiovascular Disease
Heart Valve Disease, Endocarditis, Pericardial Disease, Thoracic Aorta Aneurysm, Cardiovascular Imaging, Echocardiogram, Transesophageal Echocardiogram
Awards & Honors
- 2014 Cleveland Best Doctors, Cleveland Magazine
- 2013 Best Book in Cardiology, BMA Book Awards for Manual of Cardiovascular Medicine
- 2011 Medtronic Award for Distinguished Alumnus in Medical Science, NUIG, Galway, Ireland
- 2007 Teacher of the Year, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Cleveland Clinic
- 2007 Art in Medicine Program - Gift of Art from Kislak Foundation to Cleveland Clinic in honor of Dr Brian Griffin
- 2007 John and Rosemary Brown Chair in Cardiovascular Medicine at Cleveland Clinic
- 2006 Diversity award to fellowship program, Association of Black Cardiologists
- 2006-8 Top Doctors in Northeast Ohio
- 2005, 2008 Best Doctors in America
- 2002 Stokes Medal, Irish Cardiac Society
- 2000-2001 Nominee, Best Medical Student Teacher, Ohio State University, Cleveland Clinic Foundation Campus
- 1997 Teacher of the Year, Cardiology Department, Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- 1979 Gold Medal in Ophthalmology, final Medical examination; first place in graduating class in medical school
- 1979 Gold Medal in Psychiatry, final medical examination
- 1974-1978 Medical Faculty Scholar (National University of Ireland), awarded honors in all exams taken
- 1973-1978 Department of Education Scholar (Irish Government)
- Council on Clinical Cardiology, American Heart Association
- American College of Cardiology
- American Society of Echocardiography
- Irish Cardiac Society
- Royal College of Physicians of Ireland
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 5/4/2017, Dr. Griffin has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
239 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||5|
|Knows Medical History||5|
|Time Spent with Patient||5|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.9|
18 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Nov 16, 2017
Dr Griffin was warm and friendly, I felt very comfortable talking with him. He carefully explained my test results, my condition, and options for treatment. I definitely recommend him!Also, his Fellow, Dr Robert Koeth, was very professional and helpful as well.
Reviewed on Sep 28, 2017
Dr. Griffin has been a wonderful physician to work with. I am grateful to be under his care and have recommended him to a number of friends and family for their care.
Reviewed on Sep 20, 2017
Everything was all I expected it to be
Reviewed on Aug 11, 2017
Dr. Griffin is very responsive and caring.
Reviewed on Jul 13, 2017
I am very impressed with the entire staff, nurses and doctors at the Cleveland Clinic. Dr. Griffin was excellent. He knew my case, listened to me and spent all the time necessary to get a complete picture.
Reviewed on Jun 15, 2017
doctor was terrific! very professional and friendly.
Reviewed on May 2, 2017
Reviewed on Apr 28, 2017
My brother and I were comforted by Dr. Griffin's assessment of my condition and his staff was equally as nice.
Reviewed on Apr 21, 2017
no bad experience
Reviewed on Mar 16, 2017
dr. is very good whith his instructions
Reviewed on Mar 2, 2017
I felt that Dr. Griffin was very thorough during our visit. I was a little nervous at first when we met with a fellow because I didn't know what that actually meant. But as we continued, it was clear that Dr. Griffin oversaw the entire visit and was the one that would make recommendations. I appreciated that he had Dr. Gentry attend my echo to ensure we got the best pictures possible. And, I also appreciate that he took the time to talk to Dr. Gillinov to make recommendations for surgery. It's easy to feel like a nobody when you are sitting in a strange place in a hospital gown before a test, but all of the doctors we met with made me feel like I was somebody they cared about in terms of my health.
Reviewed on Mar 2, 2017
Excellent visit addressing my health concerns.
Reviewed on Feb 21, 2017
My experiences at Dr. Griffin's office are ALWAYS wonderful. I am a cheerleader for him and his office staff.
Reviewed on Feb 16, 2017
The CCF Cardiac-Vascular Dept. staff that treated me, provided excellent care, and Dr. Griffin is a very thorough and honest caregiver.
Reviewed on Jan 20, 2017
Dr. Griffin was great!! Dr. Johnston was awesome!! Thank you.
Reviewed on Jan 11, 2017
Dr. Griffin and Dr. Lambert were exceptional.
Reviewed on Jan 10, 2017
Everything/all tests happened as the physician told me they would - as quickly as they said too.
Reviewed on Jan 3, 2017
dr Griffen is amazing!
© 2017 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.